Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288998 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4245 on: March 26, 2013, 07:36:01 am »

I was mostly venting my general fustration with the way everything seems to be centered around purchasing some random crap to make you happy for 5 minutes, I should clarify that I was not specifically blaming people and not corporations.

But your observation leads to an interesting idea: Why not reduce the working time? If people worked 4 hour days instead of 8 wouldn't it create the necessity for more jobs and lead to more free time to pursue personal interests?

Like I said, it's intentional.  Both major factors have already been mentioned.  First, employing less people to do more work via increased efficiency generates more profit (in the short term).  Second, keeping a large unemployment pool and the employed spiritually dead and isolated is the central pillar of social control.  Remove it, and their temple of dominance will crumble. 

Example:  I know that if I only worked 4 hours a day when Occupy was in its encampment stage, I would have been present at my local chapter almost every day, and I could name a dozen more people off the top of my head who would have been there with me.  Working 8 hours, I was only able to visit once.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:12 am »

But your observation leads to an interesting idea: Why not reduce the working time? If people worked 4 hour days instead of 8 wouldn't it create the necessity for more jobs and lead to more free time to pursue personal interests?
those who decide how long the work day is are the same who benefit from rampant unemployment

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:42 am »

Personally I'd prefer a four day workweek.

Me too.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:04 am »

I might be moving to a 4 day work week soon.  Ten hour days, but it's not like you can do much more with an 8 hour day.  I'm right with you guys.  Meaningful activities and opportunity creation take large, solid chunks of time.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:06 pm »

4 hour day would make people more productive as well. Iirc, 2 hours is about what the average person can handle a monotonous task without (severely) loosing focus. A schedule of 2h/food/2h would keep a lot of people at their pretty good for their whole workday.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4250 on: March 26, 2013, 12:44:52 pm »

4 hour day would make people more productive as well. Iirc, 2 hours is about what the average person can handle a monotonous task without (severely) loosing focus. A schedule of 2h/food/2h would keep a lot of people at their pretty good for their whole workday.

That depends on the commute time. A long commute is pointless for a 4 hour workday, not only due to the cost of transportation, but the time it takes to refocus after "working" on driving.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: March 26, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »

According to that article, people only get 3 hours of work done in an 8 hour day anyway, so...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: March 26, 2013, 07:54:05 pm »

Found this today. An interactive graph of the US's drone strikes in Pakistan, with info by victims, date, attacks. It's really weird that a country that is supposedly fighting a war on terror is leading a campaign of terror strikes in a foreign country, and no one in the US seems to bat an eyelid.

Sure help understand why governments are able to do disgusting things. Most people just don't care.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: March 26, 2013, 09:23:16 pm »

Found this today. An interactive graph of the US's drone strikes in Pakistan, with info by victims, date, attacks. It's really weird that a country that is supposedly fighting a war on terror is leading a campaign of terror strikes in a foreign country, and no one in the US seems to bat an eyelid.

Sure help understand why governments are able to do disgusting things. Most people just don't care.

I think most people in the U.S. do care, actually.  The left is disgusted by it, but democrats are quiet about it (or deliberately avoid being informed about it) because it's their guy and anyone on the left who isn't a democrat (like me) might as well be crazy.  The right is vocally upset about it, but everyone sees them as hypocrites after Bush and they couple their opposition to drone warfare with a whole bunch of other genuinely crazy shit.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »

That site is in desperate need of citations.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: March 28, 2013, 12:21:19 am »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:20 am »

How the Monstanto Protection Act snuck into law.

Honestly why is it that no one reads the stupid freeken bills before they sign them?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: March 28, 2013, 12:27:37 am »

How the Monstanto Protection Act snuck into law.

Honestly why is it that no one reads the stupid freeken bills before they sign them?
Because they're hundreds of pages long and dense with references to hundreds-of-pages-long law codes that are, themselves, dense with such references.

And politicians are too busy earning campaign funds to set aside that kind of time. To do properly the jobs they're elected to do.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: March 28, 2013, 02:08:56 am »

So... Any reason they can't just amend it out? Regardless of whether they would actually do such a thing in practice.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: March 28, 2013, 07:25:09 am »

Occupy abolishes 1,000,000 in medical debt, with the momentum in place to eliminate many times that yet.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 297