Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288974 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4230 on: February 16, 2013, 03:00:37 pm »

Ah, yes... taking the easy way out.

You ain't a criminal if you do criminal things... if you do it under the guise of a bigass international business/corporation that could easily disrupt the world economy.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: February 16, 2013, 04:05:05 pm »

And here I thought that our frequent military ventures have demonstrated that national security interests took precedence over the economy.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: February 16, 2013, 09:28:38 pm »

And here I thought that our frequent military ventures have demonstrated that national security interests took precedence over the economy.
Maybe the military economy has precedence over the rest?  Financial institutions probably ain't negatively effected by it either...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: February 17, 2013, 07:08:43 am »

What courses of action are available to you and your contemporaries?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:29 am »

Yeah... emotional burnout is bad.  The problem is so many people still believe stuff like this is conspiracy crap, and will tell you to take your tinfoil hat elsewhere if you suggest that it might be going on.  I share stuff like this so that those people can start to feel it, and the burnouts in the know can share too.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: March 01, 2013, 09:19:43 am »

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:06 am »

A better name. If this takes off the ground, please a better name (or someone tell me if theres meaning I'm missing). The article could do without phrases like "raising concerns as to whether the 99 percent can ever obtain justice there." I sincerely hope they're not using that in any speeches. Hopefully good news, nevertheless.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:34:40 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: March 01, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: March 08, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »

ptw

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:16 am »

This person nails so much of what I've been trying to tell people for years.

The only thing I think he missed is that the 40 hour work week also serves to isolate people.  After 8 hours of forced interaction, often a context of subtle or one-sided conflict, most people have very little energy left for building meaningful relationships in their free time.  This is a major factor in keeping us powerless.

There's no logical reason for most of us to still be working these schedules.  The only explanation is that it's understood if standard working hours were reduced, the floodgates would be opened for a torrent of change that would challenge the dominance of the upper classes.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: March 26, 2013, 06:06:40 am »

This person nails so much of what I've been trying to tell people for years.

I don't work a 9 to 5 job (being a Uni student), but thats basically what I fear will happen, Plus add in the "career this and career that" that people seemed so focused on.

It would seem that as things become more efficient and automated, people are choosing to buy more stuff rather than work less.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:06 am »

It would seem that as things become more efficient and automated, people are choosing to buy more stuff rather than work less.
that's not it, it's that as things become more and more automated companies can afford to employ less people, and because there are a lot more people looking for work employees are easily replaceable and can be treated like shit, so instead of the working day becoming shorter and salaries increasing matching the increased productivity, the working day is becoming longer, salaries remain mostly stagnant despite the inflation, and unemployment is rampant

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:26 am »

I was mostly venting my general fustration with the way everything seems to be centered around purchasing some random crap to make you happy for 5 minutes, I should clarify that I was not specifically blaming people and not corporations.

But your observation leads to an interesting idea: Why not reduce the working time? If people worked 4 hour days instead of 8 wouldn't it create the necessity for more jobs and lead to more free time to pursue personal interests?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:58 am »

Personally I'd prefer a four day workweek.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 297