Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288734 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4395 on: November 05, 2013, 04:16:10 pm »

I could have supported Colin Powell, I'd have voted for that man in a second.  Brilliant mind, excellent on foreign affairs, a little inflexible, but overall an amazing option.  Dubya killed that hard, that administration obliterated any chance that Powell could ever run.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: November 05, 2013, 05:32:17 pm »

If the Republicans put forward candidates who weren't backwards or jingoistic, they just wouldn't be the Republicans.

this ignores 200 years of history from before 1980

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: November 05, 2013, 06:00:04 pm »

If the Republicans put forward candidates who weren't backwards or jingoistic, they just wouldn't be the Republicans.

The pre-1980 Republicans do not matter when discussing the party in a contemporary context. Hell, the pre-2008 Republicans don't matter at this point. And the Republicans were not around in 1780.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:24 pm »

Yeah, I'm with MSH on this one. I don't think it's reasonable to call the Democrats the Southern party of rich, white bigots anymore, either.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4399 on: November 05, 2013, 06:59:31 pm »

The pre-1980 Republicans do not matter when discussing the party in a contemporary context. Hell, the pre-2008 Republicans don't matter at this point. And the Republicans were not around in 1780.

Those days are dead and gone.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: November 06, 2013, 05:05:39 am »

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/11/surviving-post-employment-economy-201311373243740811.html

Spoiler: From the article (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:07:43 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: November 06, 2013, 04:05:58 pm »

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/11/surviving-post-employment-economy-201311373243740811.html

Spoiler: From the article (click to show/hide)

My God, that article's depressing. I take it with a grain of salt for hyperbole, but the core idea of the piece lines up pretty well with my experience (I am applying to graduate school soon, shooting for my master's degree with an eye toward the pharmaceutical industry.) It also doesn't help that the internships STEM students are expected to take pay shit, and sometimes not at all.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:24 pm »

Yeah... pretty much everyone I know is doing work that they find meaningless and unfulfilling, where they're underpaid, overworked, treated like shit, and depressed.  Or they're going to school wracking up debt.  Or they're living with their parents even into their 30s, still looking for work.  I still know only one exception... well... two actually, but the other one successfully fled the country.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: November 06, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »

Post employment economy, how aptly named.
Quite an eloquant article, laying down the sad facts without being overly provocative.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: November 24, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

One foot planted firmly inside the doorway to collapse.

Our way of life needs to change fast.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4405 on: November 25, 2013, 02:02:59 am »

This is one of the things I intend Agora to address- this tendency for people to ignore large, difficult problems. The idea is that Agora will make it possible for large numbers of people to discuss complex, difficult problems like this, and should make the discussion more accessible, leading to greater involvement. That, in turn, should make it easier for us to find solutions, and because more people will be involved in the discussion, more people will work on implementing the solution.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: November 26, 2013, 06:53:53 pm »

This is one of the things I intend Agora to address- this tendency for people to ignore large, difficult problems. The idea is that Agora will make it possible for large numbers of people to discuss complex, difficult problems like this, and should make the discussion more accessible, leading to greater involvement. That, in turn, should make it easier for us to find solutions, and because more people will be involved in the discussion, more people will work on implementing the solution.
Or they will just start arguing more.

The answer is genetically modified pollinators.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4407 on: November 26, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »

Well of course they will argue more, that's the idea. The important pat is that such arguments produce useful results.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: January 03, 2014, 07:46:14 am »

Oh hey look, the economy's recovering.  That's what this means, right?  We're all going to see the rise in prosperity really soon!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: January 03, 2014, 07:57:36 am »

What someone else (Muz? I think?) said in life advice: prove your worth, negotiate afterwards your working conditions, and if they don't play ball, hit the road. That's my view of the matter nowadays. Accepting stuff like (as a friend did) signing up for a 50% contract and end up doing more like 150% for the same pay is self-destructive. If you start bending over even dwarves will take a turn at your butt.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 297