Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 297

Author Topic: Occupying Wallstreet  (Read 288775 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Occupying Wallstreet
« Reply #4380 on: August 20, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »

Most likely
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: October 24, 2013, 07:28:20 pm »

Lt John Pike won his case for $38,000 in psychological damages

1.  Do something morally reprehensible in front of hundreds of witnesses and dozens of cameras
2.  Find that people don't like you afterwards
3.  ? ? ? ? ?
4.  Profit!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: October 24, 2013, 08:34:38 pm »

Let him have his filthy money. It won't undo what he did, and it won't make people forget.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:10:53 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »

So...

What now? Are we actually able to bring about any change through demonstration? The solitary camp that's still running doesn't have much else going for it. The article makes it sound like there are at most a dozen people there at maximum, and only two or three during most of the week. Does Occupy even represent the majority opinion in the U.S anymore? And why can't I come up with any other way to express this sentiment than an annoying series of rhetorical questions?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:36 pm »

I honestly don't know anymore.  Like I've said before, Occupy did make a lasting impact.  It brought a lot of new people into activism.  Many organizations sprung out of the ashes of the encampment phase that still operate under the Occupy banner and do some good things.

But it does seem like American culture in general just doesn't have any attention span or memory for politics.  As soon as whatever event is over with and no longer a focus of the media, it's almost like it never happened.  The only thing people will tend to remember is whatever was repeated the most, even if it's something they knew to be false when the issue was current.  They'll forget what they knew.

So the plutocracy can shove people out of the spotlight as violently as necessary.  They can even kill if they have to, and make up some incredibly weak excuse.  Then repeat what they want people to remember in the media a whole bunch.  Those weak excuses will win out as the most commonly accepted fact in the end.  The majority will come away from it with an uneasy feeling, knowing something is wrong, but seem unable to put a finger on it.  When their indignity boils over and they need a release, they'll channel their two minutes hate into whatever boogeyman is being made up as distraction at the time, or just plain partisan politics.

I think American culture is deeply twisted, fickle, and weak.  I don't know what can be done about it.  Living here is fucking depressing and I just want to go somewhere else.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4386 on: November 04, 2013, 10:51:26 pm »

Or it's not really bad enough for most people to care about.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: November 04, 2013, 11:44:35 pm »

But it does seem like American culture in general just doesn't have any attention span or memory for politics.  As soon as whatever event is over with and no longer a focus of the media, it's almost like it never happened.  The only thing people will tend to remember is whatever was repeated the most, even if it's something they knew to be false when the issue was current.  They'll forget what they knew.
No, see... these aren't Amercain culture issues, or even just current American culture issues. These are issues that have existed since the first modern democracies came up, or even when the first proto-democracies sprang up. What you're talking about is less a culture issue than it is a human nature issue.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: November 05, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »

A small article on Rolling Stone about some of the private surveillance companies and softwares that specifically market themselves to law enforcement for use against protestors.  The claims are nothing new, but it has names to go with them.

These companies are a serious negative influence in a democracy then. Treating #protest the same way as #criminal enterprise should make this apparent.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: November 05, 2013, 01:19:51 pm »

A small article on Rolling Stone about some of the private surveillance companies and softwares that specifically market themselves to law enforcement for use against protestors.  The claims are nothing new, but it has names to go with them.

These companies are a serious negative influence in a democracy then. Treating #protest the same way as #criminal enterprise should make this apparent.
And to the government, there's probably little difference.

I don't know about that. There sure didn't seem to be much police opposition to the Tea Party's protests, even while they cry revolution while holding rifles or tear down barricades in D.C. while waving a Confederate battle flag. Like this. I don't recall pepper spray ever being used in Tea Party rallies even when they take very questionable action that borders on a riot. I think what seemingly matters to government is whether or not the protest is against the financial or corporate system, not whether or not it's pro or anti government.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:24:49 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: November 05, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »

Indeed, though this world would dearly miss your own logic should you choose to leave it so I would advise against trying before a Mars colony is operational.

Some Tea Party protesters actually tied to climb the fence around the White House, which any 8th grader on a field trip knows risks being sniped by hidden agents dressed as trees should it be accomplished, according to my 8th grade teacher.

This actually stirred the police to action, and caused them to remove a protestor from the fence by 'hooking her arm with a nightstick.' Internet searches show no arrests, no pepper spray, no riot police shield walls, but apparently it was still worthy of complaint by the tea party.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:44:12 pm by Duuvian »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »

The Tea Party lives off millions of dollars funded to it through P.A.C.'s run by massive corporate interests, and the gullibility of the majority of Americans, who are spoon fed political and religious bullshit from birth.  It's faces are those of political freshmen, without solid foundations in the principals of the U.S.A., and with no interest in anything outside their limited perspective.  I hate the politics of this nation with an intensity bordering on thermo-nuclear.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: November 05, 2013, 03:48:35 pm »

No, you hate the politics of anyone that doesn't support what you support.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: November 05, 2013, 04:09:04 pm »

I do not support mega-corporations dictating policy, that is not the principle that The United States was founded upon.  Frankly, if the Republicans can put forward a candidate who is not either ass-backwards or insanely warmongering, I may just vote for them next election.  The Dems certainly don't have anyone I support other than Obama currently.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:11:27 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: November 05, 2013, 04:13:28 pm »

If the Republicans put forward candidates who weren't backwards or jingoistic, they just wouldn't be the Republicans.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 297