Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you deal with the Boredom between  (Read 3502 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you deal with the Boredom between
« on: September 23, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »

How do you deal with the Boredom between the fun of starting your fort and the first few goblin attacks?

I had many a fort deleted because i got bored before the goblins arrived to entertain me.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with the Boredom between
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:28 pm »

Antmen. Paying attention to my dwarfs feelings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:23:39 pm »

How do you deal with the Boredom between the fun of starting your fort and the first few goblin attacks?

I had many a fort deleted because i got bored before the goblins arrived to entertain me.

Start a megaproject. Read forums while you wait(assuming you are using SoundSense). There's plenty of things you can do.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:25:34 pm »

Instal a mod that has weak, fast-acting enemies.  I'm working on something similar, that will include some 5-20 generic civs that attack almost immediately, but the creatures are of limited size and weaponry.  15 civs at once gives you some 800 siegers total, if I remember right, but you should be able to only add the ones you want *shrug*.

Aside from that, I mostly do chainmaille, or some GBA (re-running Fire Emblem Sacred Stones currently) or start designating huge labyrinths for dwarves to party in.  With ogres.  Party ogres.  Great Success!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »

Instal a mod that has weak, fast-acting enemies.  I'm working on something similar, that will include some 5-20 generic civs that attack almost immediately, but the creatures are of limited size and weaponry.  15 civs at once gives you some 800 siegers total, if I remember right, but you should be able to only add the ones you want *shrug*.

Aside from that, I mostly do chainmaille, or some GBA (re-running Fire Emblem Sacred Stones currently) or start designating huge labyrinths for dwarves to party in.  With ogres.  Party ogres.  Great Success!

You know, I'd love to see that mod. Party ogres, that's epic.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:33 pm »

Actually no party ogres in the mod.  That's just what my dwarves do when they finish the dungeon.  And by "party" I mean "OH GOD IT BIT MY LEG OFF!"

The mod is just several animal-morph people, like fox-morph and wolf-morph and whatnot, applied with a generic creature variant copy-paste and put into generic civilizations without too much worry.  They're fundamentally identical, except the wolf-morphs bite a bit harder than the goat-morphs, and the badger-morphs love to rush into battle... and the cat-morphs tend to hunt fireflies instead of dwarves.  I find this last bit to be acceptable, and refuse to change it.  They arrive fairly early, all during one season, and come with spears and swords.  The idea was "I like to kill things, but I don't like losing soldiers.  Why not just mod in a horde of weaklings to fulfill my cathartic bloodlust?"

I'm still fine-tuning it, as the avians have trouble holding weapons and other quirks.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:20 pm »

I sit there. And stare at the screen. INTENTLY.

Then I get bored and watch anime/freakazoid/mylittlepony. Sometimes I just play minecraft between.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:08:11 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 11:08:42 pm »

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Pre dinner mayonnaise is good for you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:55:16 am »

I selectively breed animals for certain traits.

I look for huge/muscular/fat varieties and cull the rest.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:48:35 am »

I plan out future sections of the fort whilst trying to incorporate the layout of the terrain in it. Towers that rise out of small hills with bridges connecting between them is fun. last fort I had with that made each tower sealable off independently from the underground network/each other via use of bridges and moats. Each with finished food/booze stockpiles to allow at least one tower a chance of survival should something befall the fort proper. Allowing those inside to rebuild once the danger has passed.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 05:55:37 am »

I try to get as much resources as possible before the goblins start coming. Cutting trees, gathering plants, killing the wild life. Raping the land is both fun and profit!
Designing the outside parts of my fort takes time too... 
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 05:56:33 am »

Dig down to the caverns. If you're running Genesis Mod like I am, they should be extremely dangerous.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 05:57:01 am »

Not dying by the various forces of nature usually keeps me occupied until i'm busy
not dying by the hands of foreign enemies.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:49:53 am »

Not dying by the various forces of nature usually keeps me occupied until i'm busy
not dying by the hands of foreign enemies.
Protip: build traps.

Congratulations, you're now invincible.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 09:58:34 am »

Train up a basic militia squad of about 10 dorfs, nothing unusual.

However, I also like to dig out a secret passageway leading to a hidden room, often in a side passage that leads behind something that isn't often frequented by other dwarfs, like some kind of stockpile or something. In here, I train the dwarven SAS. A crack squad of 3-4 dwarfs hand picked for manliness and bad-assery. They get the best equipment and train on live targets. When they get sent in, you know the defecation has collided with the oscillation.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: [1] 2 3