Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you deal with the Boredom between  (Read 3498 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with the Boredom between
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:07 am »

By digging deeper.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 12:30:47 pm »

In other news, aftermy first siege this embark I had my first set of prisoners (having played for at least a year now, that's sort of sad in my opinion) so my militia captain got to train against living punching (or bashing, as it were) bags.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 12:56:45 pm »

With my industry-focussed forts, the boredom is after the 2nd or so siege comes. It's hectic until then and afterwards it becomes mundane. Building the automated 'kill zone' always feels like a race against time (given I don't deliberately use delaying tactics) before the inevitable siege arrives.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »

Not dying by the various forces of nature usually keeps me occupied until i'm busy
not dying by the hands of foreign enemies.
Protip: build traps.

Congratulations, you're now invincible.

Oh, i have traps. They just seem to become less effective against the other  dozen invaders after their buddies decide to jump on in and take one for the team.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

Implement universal conscription: Twelve squads of marksdwarves do one month a year training followed by one month on sentry duty at the main entrance, and a squad or two of melee dwarves train all through winter.

Get everybody sorted out with a decent bedroom, with a chest and a cabinet and maybe a nice engraving.

Beautify the fortress. Smooth and engrave an entire worked-out mineral vein and turn it into a sculpture garden, decorate the dining room really nicely, maybe do something fancy like a big mosaic on the surface.

If all else fails, either start using Soundsense or adjust the announcement settings and just let it run in the background while you do something else, checking back in every few minutes.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2011, 04:43:36 pm »

MOAR TRAPS. Also, setting up more and more efficient production systems- I only wish more than one stockpile can draw from one starting stockpile, it would make allocated food areas so much easier to design without supply chains.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 05:17:54 pm »

Prepare a self-destruct mechanism
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 05:21:40 pm »

I tend to have two miners, a mason, a carpenter, a woodcutter/plant gatherer, a leader with book keeping and a sort of general farmer/cook.

What I tend to do is get the miners to mine out the basic rooms, then I get them to get to the magma sea and after that it's a sort of... just build traps and metal stuff.

Oh and traps, many traps. And if you're being really funny, you'll train up a doctor using immigrants.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 06:28:30 pm »

Not dying by the various forces of nature usually keeps me occupied until i'm busy
not dying by the hands of foreign enemies.
Protip: build traps.

Congratulations, you're now invincible.

Oh, i have traps. They just seem to become less effective against the other  dozen invaders after their buddies decide to jump on in and take one for the team.
Build more. Build better ones. A very simple way to kill everything is upright spike traps on a bridge over a chasm filled with more upright spike traps. Link them all up to a lever set to repeat. Anything that walks by will either die on the bridge, or dodge off of it into the chasm, which if you designed it right, will be only escapable / survivable if you permit it.

If something actually survives this trap then either you've edited the raws or the game hates you. Even titans die consistently to this for me. And this is just a "simple" trap...
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 12:16:50 am »

By digging deeper.
Giving this person massive amounts of military advice/ psychotic babble that looks like military advice.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Qirex

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels Post: Interrupted by Beak wolf Predator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 01:27:57 pm »

The Fortress Defense mod adds a civ of wrestlers who come very early, and fight to the last man. It also adds sieges every season except autumn (The very last civ are steel-armored elephants who even siege in autumn) and it means that a fortress will be on its toes until it ends. Here's the Link.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.0
I live in Nigeria. I am not a prince, and I do not need your bank account information to access my fortune. Anyone caught implying otherwise will be !!reprimanded!! .

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »

Build more. Build better ones. A very simple way to kill everything is upright spike traps on a bridge over a chasm filled with more upright spike traps. Link them all up to a lever set to repeat. Anything that walks by will either die on the bridge, or dodge off of it into the chasm, which if you designed it right, will be only escapable / survivable if you permit it.

If something actually survives this trap then either you've edited the raws or the game hates you. Even titans die consistently to this for me. And this is just a "simple" trap...

More traps, you say....Genius. My lack of any kind of weapon-making metals means i can't do much for the quality side at the moment, my weapon traps are composed of things made of wood and green glass. But quantity...that i could probably do.

I'll look more into spike traps and see if i can whip up something nifty to help save my ass from the stronger beasties that have yet to pay me a visit.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »

More traps, you say....Genius. My lack of any kind of weapon-making metals means i can't do much for the quality side at the moment, my weapon traps are composed of things made of wood and green glass. But quantity...that i could probably do.

I'll look more into spike traps and see if i can whip up something nifty to help save my ass from the stronger beasties that have yet to pay me a visit.

At a pinch try wooden spikes. If anything it will thin out troll units during sieges with a hallway filled with them.

peri609667

• Bay Watcher
  • I am shocked and appalled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:11 am »

At a pinch try wooden spikes. If anything it will thin out troll units during sieges with a hallway filled with them.
This. Wooden traps work surprisingly well against unarmoured foes. In bulk they will still kill goblins in iron armour because the goblins only wear breastplates and helms. You can simply poke their arms and legs until they bleed to death. Once you get better materials just deconstruct the wooden ones and upgrade to the new materials.

Oh, and if you're low on wood, just use cage traps. These have 100% success rate against non [TRAPAVOID] creatures and make battles against tough creatures that aren't immune to them (Giant Desert Scorpion, Dragons, etc) a walk in the park. They also have the benefit of not harming your dwarves or pets (although they can still be caught in them if they're knocked unconscious while standing on it, you can just release them later). They have their own drawbacks too of course, like having to be reset after every use, but this is easily covered for by having them at the end of your trap field, so they catch the few survivors.

TL;DR: Spam traps, Win battle.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:54:43 am by peri609667 »
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 09:03:46 am »

I always put a few cages traps in front of my killing force, be that dwarven or mechanical.  You never know when a few live subjects will come in handy...
Pages: 1 [2] 3