Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The return of dwarfdom(succession game)  (Read 1701 times)

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The return of dwarfdom(succession game)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 01:36:15 pm »

(OOC: Sorry for the double post, but that's alright if it's a story update, right?)

The dining room and the carpenters and masons workshops are both dug out and built. I have built a small dormitory space for beds, I hope that later I may be able to build real rooms for the dwarves, but I fear this will not happen in this first year.

I have also begun digging to an area that, from my understanding, should have sand in it. I will begin the planting of plump helmets there, so as to feed our newborn town.

I have begun digging out space for a stockpile. I really wish I'd brought that spare pick, but I needed the cash to train my dwarves. (OOC: apparently, the prepare carefully feature in the genesis mod gives you fewer points than the start now feature. Doesn't really matter, I actually think this way makes more sense in story.)

Sadly, the miner likes to dig the least important area first. Stockpiles or farm area? She'll dig the stockpiles. Workshops or dining room? Dining room. I really should micromanage my designations more. Also, I told the miner to stop hauling things. There's IMPORTANT work to be done.

It is the 11th of slate, and we are already starting to run out of food. Very well, I shall assign one dwarf to fishing, one dwarf to fish cleaning, and build a fishery. Hopefully, this will be enough to feed us while we wait for the farms to get up and running.

Today is the 14th of slate. I have beds in place, although, as I said previously, dwarves are sleeping without rooms. The farms are built. They take up a twelve square Urist space, they are 4 Urists by 3 Urists. They should be easy enough to expand if I need to do so.

The dining room has four tables and four chairs. I will build more later, and perhaps smooth the stone later.

I have set myself up as broker. I have the appraiser skill, making me of great value to the fort.

We have a fishery. Next on my list of things to build is a still.

It is the 16th of Slade. The still is complete. I am beginning work on a craftsdwarf's Workshop. This, I hope, should let me build Nest Boxes.

It is the 19th of Slade. Everyone has gone to bed. This means no work can be done as of now. Oh, wait, the first of us are beginning to awake. Good.

I have begun work on a Nest box. This will do great good for the dwarves of Bomziril.

I have forbidden the dwarves from touching four guniehen eggs that have been laid; I want to increase the amount of fowl we have.

To be honest, I am unclear what to do next. I have the still working, beds in place, am waiting for the first harvest, and for the first fish. I have tables and chairs. I have stills. I have a craftsdwarfs workshop, both for the production of Nest Boxes, and for the production of pots.

I suppose my next order of business should be to have my miner begin searching for the caverns.... But I am not sure we are ready to take them on. Perhaps the first thing I should do is order the smoothing of stone in the dining room, to make it a more plesant place to eat, and to begin digging rooms.

I have ordered twelve rooms be dug, and the dining room be smoothed.

I have ordered doors, beds, and coffers be made. I will keep the seven beds in the dormitories as well. They shall give me more time to react when migrants come, and perhaps a fallback should I ever be so swamped with migrants that I simply cannot produce rooms fast enough. I have mixed feelings about the concept that I might ever need to use them in such a way. On one hand, it would be a sign of radical success. On the other hand, it would imply that we were not able to give every citizen our best.

Today is the 16th of Felsite. The rooms have been dug, and 6 of them have been completed.

Today is the 18th of Felsite. There are seven rooms, each with beds and coffers. I am still working on doors, but they will come in time. I will continue digging more rooms, I think. I am uncertain.

Today is the twenty second of Felsite. I just realized I brought no cats to catch vermin with. Ah well. Migrants will surely come with the cute little bastards... and then, if they reproduce to heavily, perhaps we can have cold cat tallow soup with the plump helmets that are finally starting to mature!

Maybe we shall have fish, too. Or perhaps fishing was just a waste of time. We shall see. We are out of logs, but we have built twelve beds. Next season we shall build more.

Woodcutting is my job, so I have begun cutting down more trees. 

Today is the first of Hematite, the end of spring, and the beginning of the new season. Here is what rooms look like as of now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will not waste my time illustrating the floor that only contains the fishery. It only contains the fishery. It is above the floor with the rooms.

Here is the dining room floor. You will note it contains the old dorms and the food stockpile... And an awful lot of roaches. Note to self: FIND CATS.

Above that is the floor with the farms.

Above that is the ground. It has a refuse pile and a woodpile in it. Again, I shall not waste my time illustrating it here, it is not terribly important, nor is it terribly intresting. The piles are the only change to it, as you have seen it previously, and the wood pile and the refuse pile are mere logistical changes.

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »

Good start sir! Is your turn over?

Also Could you dorf me?

Preferably a male. How does McPhatten sound? for a name?
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 11:28:23 pm »

Good start sir! Is your turn over?

Also Could you dorf me?

Preferably a male. How does McPhatten sound? for a name?

My turn is not over. That was spring. Also... Dorfing is kinda hard when you only have seven dwarves. I'll work on dorfing the next time I play, though.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 11:33:14 pm »

Remember kids, When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Dwarfson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 01:19:40 am »

Remember kids, When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Dwarfson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Just... Be good to the fort. It looks good so far. It's probably the best prepared 'first year' I've ever done. Partly because I've decided to make my year one about making sure the fortress does well.

That said, I long to see you throw the lack of elves to ignite back at the game :P.

cam94509

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 02:00:37 am »

23rd Hematite: I have assigned a book keeper and am asking for medium percision. I must know how much food I have. I have also begun engraving the walls of the dining room.

12th Malachite: Migrants have arrived! They come rushing to civilization!

We have received a farmer, a boywer who, by the looks of it, would make a perfect militia commander. An animal dissector... I think I'll make them a woodcutter, since I brought a second axe. Only three migrants. I suppose this is both bad and good; it gives me more time to build beds and rooms.

24th Malachite: Gunneichicks have hatched. There are four of them. All of them are female. So far, so good. Also, the dining room's walls are engraved.

I'll order the floors be engraved next.

3 Galena: I have ordered a space dug for the trade depot. I know the caravans will still arive on time, after all, there are still dwarves, they are just wanderers. Also, down near the rooms, I have ordered a kitchen constructed. A three urist by three urist empty space is a three urist by three urist empty space, right? It's a kind of a weird place to put it, but whatever. I have also ordered Guniehen eggs and Cave Potato seeds be cooked, I have no use for either.

I have also ordered the fortresses grazing animals be slaugtered. They are a pain to deal with, I have no breeding pairs, and we do need the food. 

10th, Galena: It has been a week, but the miner has not begun working on the digging out of the specified area. Partly because they have been digging more bedrooms, and partly because they are on break.

17th, Galena: The miner is still on break.

1st Limestone: Autumn has arrived. I do not have a Depot yet. This is NOT good.

7th Limestone: I have placed the site of the Depot. Better yet, two mastiff puppies have been born.

I grow weary of this task. All I ever seem to do is order walls excavated, doors and beds and chests built, and occasionally name a noble. There is no thrill.

But I would love to settle down here, in this place. To have food day to day. To live for my life and not just for tommorow or the day after. To help to build an industry here. Perhaps I will seek a replacement.

I think I have fallen in love with this place. Strange, I expected to find it less intresting than life before. But it is different.

There are others here. We grow in number by the season. I will make this place home.

22nd, Limestone: The trade depot is complete. We are doing quite well as of now, and I hope plump helmet production will pick up as the meat from the slaughter of the  grazers fades away.

23rd, sandstone: The meat has been being turned steadily into meals by my chef.

2nd, Timber: More migrants.

A glass maker, I'm making him a mason, a shearer (joining the unarmored malitia I'm building... More so that future leaders will have someone to train.

I suppose, given my willingness to find mention "Future leaders", I really do intend to settle down... I am not sure why, but I very much like this place.

I received a miller/ crafter... Going to have to go with "crafter", given the current state of the fort. They also know how to lie. That means competition. Lucky, competition doesn't worry me too much.

I also appear to have received a metalsmith from the mountainhome. This would mean more if I had acsess to common ores.

I have received a woodcuter, who brought there own axe (and a nice one, at that.)

That appears to be all... five more join us in our fort. 

8th, Timer: I have expanded the farming area, just in case, in future, we need more food from our farms. I have also called for the creation of a glass furnace.

18th, Timer: Today, the caravan has finally arrived. We have goods to trade with them.

We bought some food from them, a steel bar, a sterling silver bar, and a rose gold bar; metals to work. We also bought the vast amounts of wood they were carrying on them; the fort can always use more beds. We will never be without beds when the migrants come. That should be our promise forever: Never without a place to sleep.

1st, Moonstone.

Winter is upon us.

13th, Moonstone.

I have called for the creation of green glass blocks; we have sand, magma, and bags; we need know no limit of these blocks. I am still unsure what they will be used for, but I figured it was something that could be produced with little to no trouble. Of course, I could start calling for the manufacture of glass crafts. Again, I am unsure what to do with this unlimited supply of green glass. Perhaps one of my sucessors will have a use for it.

14th, Moonstone. I have decided to call for the construction of a magma kiln out of green glass. I know we have clay somewhere here, and we may be able to use it without the limitations of bags, meaning that we could have quick, cheap blocks that we need never worry about running out of.

Of course, at this point, stone blocks would serve that purpose just as well. But still... There is something to being able to manufacture earth out of nothing.

15th Moonstone: A vile force of darkness is upon us. And by "A vile force of darkness", I mean Capybaras, not goblins. Alright, fine, I'm just looking for something to write down in these last few months. It's been a surprisingly dull year. Everything went to plan. The capybaras have probably been the most difficulty we've had all year, which is to say, they interupted something. The roaches might have been worse, they have been causing unhappy thoughts recently.

18th Moonstone. The traders have left. Maybe the soldier among them will kill the Capybaras that have been causing everyone and anyone in the fortress to complain about being interupted while trying to work?

22nd, Moonstone: The traders have, indeed, done significant damage to the capybaras. Good news all around!

(OOC: I grow weary, and must retire for the... No, wait, this is OOC, I can talk as normal! I'm getting tired, I'm going to bed now, I'll finish this up later, and then you all can have pictures of the fort. Quick question: Where should I upload the save file to?)

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:40 pm »

Mediafire for short term stuff, or maybe megaupload? Also can you upload your whole game instead of just the save? Modding can be a pain sometimes, especially with custom jobs...
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 01:48:14 am »

How's my dorf? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 01:49:33 am »

How's my dorf?
I tore off his head and ate it. :P
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 08:04:49 am »

Put the save file on the dffd! Im in my car using my cell right now(pulled over) so I can't get you the exact link, but for the love of all things good, upload it to there. Look it up on google.

EDIT: there's is zero reason to upload the whole game. The mods are saved in the save file. When the heck did you people last play 0.31.25?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:12:16 am by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:55 am »

Oh for fuck's sake, why do I keep double posting...?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:07:46 am by The Master »
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 03:28:22 am »

...I don't know these things! I barely know how to play! XD

well I played last 2 years ago. Got a fortress started up now though...
GENERATION 26:
Pages: 1 [2]