Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35779 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2011, 01:56:46 pm »

Also, my original trade depot was made of fungiwood.  It was an ugly color.

My new one?  Pure limestone.

IT IS BEAUTIFUL, a pure white monument to capitalism.   Even the elves like it.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »

Wow, that was fast.

I offered them some meat, but apparently they didn't like the barrel it was put in.

Whoops.

Well, they're going now, lulz.  I'm half tempted to deconstruct the trade depot and take their stuff anyway.  What's the likelihood of an elven siege afterwards if I do?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:06:07 pm by Melissia »

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2011, 02:28:54 pm »

Do you happen to be the Melissia who was at the Dawn of War II forums before being banned?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2011, 02:43:53 pm »

Yes.

Another gobbo ambush, another cache of silver, iron, and copper items to melt down and use for my own purposes, as well as valuable experience for my militia and doctors :D

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »

Now, like any proper dwarf fortress, mine is covered in gobbo blood.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2011, 03:18:30 pm »

Now, like any proper dwarf fortress, mine is covered in gobbo blood.

Too much blood reduces frame rate.  Also, expect a HUGE frame rate hit while the magma pump stack is on due to all the thermal calculations.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »

I'm getting 100 FPS still, despite the large quantities of blood (and vomit)... if it really startes to effect my FPS, I'll use a tool to clean it up.

An update on my external fortress, which is completed and properly moated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As a bonus, my outside mine apparently is now sprouting towercap and blackcap.

I should dig out a huge area on an uninhabited level (between caverns one and two?) and simply let the fungus wood sources take over for a while.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2011, 03:29:55 pm »

I'm getting 100 FPS still, despite the large quantities of blood (and vomit)... if it really startes to effect my FPS, I'll use a tool to clean it up.

An update on my external fortress, which is completed and properly moated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As a bonus, my outside mine apparently is now sprouting towercap and blackcap.

I should dig out a huge area on an uninhabited level (between caverns one and two?) and simply let the fungus wood sources take over for a while.

Yes but if it's stone it will need muddied.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2011, 03:37:59 pm »

Found Adamantine Floor on the floor of cavern level three.

Cavern 3 is suspiciously empty for how labyrinthine it is...

I did discover a magma tube, tons of nether cap.  No forgotten beasts, no cave spiders... nothing alive aside from the fungus.  That's kinda disappointing.  Ah well, still walling it off with a bridge linked to a lever in my lowest barracks-- just to be sure.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2011, 03:58:44 pm »

Yeah don't take chances and make sure things can't fly in.

Start digging down around the adamantine floor, but do it so that you don't breach the caverns to do it - you don't want the FUN getting into the caverns.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2011, 04:04:20 pm »

You mean, don't remove the candy toy that someone put in there?  Or am I thinking of a different kind of fun?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2011, 04:11:07 pm »

Wow, that was fast.

I offered them some meat, but apparently they didn't like the barrel it was put in.

Whoops.

Well, they're going now, lulz.  I'm half tempted to deconstruct the trade depot and take their stuff anyway.  What's the likelihood of an elven siege afterwards if I do?

Yes. The elves get upset if you offer them wood or anything made of, or carried in wood.

You can haul bins to the Depot - but do not trade them the whole bin if it's a wooden one.  And rock pots are your friend.   8)

I mainly find the elves useful for wood early on, and afterwards basically exotic pets and booze or plants.  Never saw a reason to start a war with them.  The goblins are enough.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »

True.  I get attacked by goblins at least once a season now.  Thankfully my doctors ahve gotten practice without my dwarves getting any real serious injuries yet.

For the best coverage and least amount of use of metal, what set of armor types do you recommend on my many, many spear dwarves?  I'm not looking for ultimate protection, just efficient protection-- I have to make eighteen sets of it after all.  Mail, boots, helmet? 

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »

True.  I get attacked by goblins at least once a season now.  Thankfully my doctors ahve gotten practice without my dwarves getting any real serious injuries yet.

For the best coverage and least amount of use of metal, what set of armor types do you recommend on my many, many spear dwarves?  I'm not looking for ultimate protection, just efficient protection-- I have to make eighteen sets of it after all.  Mail, boots, helmet?

heh.  It's tricky due to the fact that blunt vs edge attacks work differently verses different armor types, and that armor pieces cover differently; e.g. breastplate doesn't cover some areas that a mail shirt does.

Minimum metal is something is Helm - Mailshirt - leggings - high boots*.  Gauntlets if you are that concerned about hands and lower arms.
Note that this is chain-type armor for the most part.  Not that rigid and thus does not resist blunt that well.

For the upper body you can layer something rigid on top - Leather armor or a breastplate.  For the legs the alternative to leggings is using greaves (which I prefer).

And generally make sure they wear clothes underneath, a cloak, and a hood. 

* - I think high boots and low boots take the same effort to make, so why not make the better item?

And one reason axe dwarves go through goblins like butter is that goblins do not wear gauntlets, greaves, etc.  Lots of unarmored limbs to easily lop off.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

You mean, don't remove the candy toy that someone put in there?  Or am I thinking of a different kind of fun?

No, be careful digging the ore because there is !!FUN!! involved, but I won't tell you where or how.  Just do that trick I mentioned with separating each floor with a tightly closed hatch and only dig one floor at a time.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36