Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35717 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2011, 01:49:51 pm »

So their blind spot should not be any larger than my moat, ideally?  The moat is two wide right now, should that work?

And yes, the hill comes right up to the fort.  I kinda noticed that a bit too late, heh.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2011, 02:13:42 pm »

So their blind spot should not be any larger than my moat, ideally?  The moat is two wide right now, should that work?

And yes, the hill comes right up to the fort.  I kinda noticed that a bit too late, heh.

Yeah, fortified archers on the second floor with a two tile wide moat will work fine. 
Don't worry about the hill; as a dwarf, when you notice nature doesn't fit your plans, you just change nature.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »

So lots of  traps on the hill?

It only connects with my wall at about a six block wide space, so that should be doable.

Also!  My new world, "The Domain of Vision" using DFusion finished generating: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A max size (with default settings) map with 1050 years of history, a few scattered civilizations, low savagery, and lots and lots of creatures and metal.

Nerfer2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Jack
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2011, 02:59:23 pm »

Oh hey, its Melissia from Dakka.  :P
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:14:31 pm by Nerfer2 »

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

It only connects with my wall at about a six block wide space, so that should be doable.

A max size (with default settings) map with 1050 years of history, a few scattered civilizations, low savagery, and lots and lots of creatures and metal.

Traps on the hill may jam or run out of ammo (if melee/ranged weapon traps), or use up their stone/cage (if stonefall/cage traps), so if you really want your archers to be super duper safe from non-Elite Bowmen, just extend your moat through the hill.

E.G. turn this
Code: (Side View) [Select]
☺╬g
 ║▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
═▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

☺-Archer
║-wall
▌-soil
═-fort floor
g-goblin

into this:

Code: (Side View) [Select]
☺╬ g
 ║ ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
═▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

☺-Archer
║-wall
▌-soil
═-fort floor
g-goblin

with some channeling and ramp-removal.

That's quite the world!  Looks like you have a good bit of variety there.  I've only tried fairly small / short worlds so far; scrounging for every FPS I can get!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2011, 03:54:57 pm »

Traps on the hill may jam or run out of ammo (if melee/ranged weapon traps), or use up their stone/cage (if stonefall/cage traps), so if you really want your archers to be super duper safe from non-Elite Bowmen, just extend your moat through the hill.

That's... hm.  Might have a problem, I'll look.

Opening up the Orosmlo world again (IE Windmonk, the current fort)....

I MIGHT be able to do that, hrm... it appears as though the hill actually has a bit of a cliff (the floor at the top of the hill was misleading me, I can remove that to remove most connections with the hill.

I'll have to remove those ramps though, and I kinda wish I hadn't made the second level a block wider on each side now.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2011, 03:58:13 pm »

Just remember that monsters can travel diagonally.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »

Can a flying monster go up diagonally between a floor and a wall positioned like this?

WFF
FWF

If so... I'm going to be glad I haven't already completely constructed my top level >.>

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2011, 04:01:01 pm »

No.  Flying monsters can travel in ten directions - same with fluid flow - up, down, north, north east, east, south east, south, south west, west and north west.  Land units have all but the first two unless a ramp or stairs allows them to go up or down (or both).  I will also note that traveling diagonally removes fluid pressure, but not flow.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2011, 04:07:28 pm »

Okay, good.

The finished fort will basically be like this, with A=artificial floor, W = wall, F = fortification, D = down stair, B = bridge (forming a wall when raised), U = up stair.  Levels 3 and 2 are 10x10, level 1 is 8x8.

Third level:

AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA

Second level:
WFFWFFWFFW
FAAAAAAAAF
FAAAAAAAAF
WAAAAAAAAW
FAAADDAAAF
FAAADDAAAF
WAAAAAAAAW
FAAAAAAAAF
FAAAAAAAAF
WFFWFFWFFW

First level:

WWWWWBBW
WAAAAAAW
WAAAAAAW
BAAUUAAB
BAAUUAAB
WAAAAAAW
WAAAAAAW
WWWBBWWW

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2011, 04:13:25 pm »

Personally, I would cover it to protect against flying attacks and to make possible upward expansion later on easier, but that's up to you.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2011, 04:18:54 pm »

Okay, good.

The finished fort will basically be like this, with A=artificial floor, W = wall, F = fortification, D = down stair, B = bridge (forming a wall when raised), U = up stair.  Levels 3 and 2 are 10x10, level 1 is 8x8.

Third level:

AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAA

Second level:
WFFWFFWFFW
FAAAAAAAAF
FAAAAAAAAF
WAAAAAAAAW
FAAADDAAAF
FAAADDAAAF
WAAAAAAAAW
FAAAAAAAAF
FAAAAAAAAF
WFFWFFWFFW

First level:

WWWWWBBW
WAAAAAAW
WAAAAAAW
BAAUUAAB
BAAUUAAB
WAAAAAAW
WAAAAAAW
WWWBBWWW

I'm sorry, I opened this page and scrolled to the bottom and immediately my brain was in "Language Mode" instead of "Dwarf Mode" (which it normally is in) so I parsed your schematics roughly as:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
FFFWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWFFFFF!!!
BWAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUWWW!!!!

Ahem. 
Anyway, reminds me of the surface part of my first fort.  Just remember that marksdwarves can only *see* enemies if the marksdwarves are smack dab right against the fortifications, so using 1 tile wide "defend burrow" orders, a patrol around the room with High and low traffic designations appropriately, or putting walls a space behind the fortifications can help keep them in the right places.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2011, 04:27:29 pm »

Right.  If I spot an ambush, I'd probably do the burrow thing. 

I haven't touched burrows yet though, so it'd be potentially rather fun,but I hope I can learn fast enough.  At any rate, I just carved out a rather large portion of the hill to the west (left) of my fort, to gather limestine, microcline, lignite, and hematite for various uses, including building the fort.

Somehow I ran out of stone-- that's a first for me!  Still, easily rectified by putting my miners to work.

But I haven't run out of food or booze yet thankfully.  Actually have a bit too much, hope I get some migrants to start consuming it soon.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2011, 04:30:26 pm »

I haven't touched burrows yet though, so it'd be potentially rather fun,but I hope I can learn fast enough.  At any rate, I just carved out a rather large portion of the hill to the west (left) of my fort, to gather limestine, microcline, lignite, and hematite for various uses, including building the fort.

Somehow I ran out of stone-- that's a first for me!  Still, easily rectified by putting my miners to work.

But I haven't run out of food or booze yet thankfully.  Actually have a bit too much, hope I get some migrants to start consuming it soon.

Ah yes, the point in every Dorfer's career where your number one issue changes from,

"How can I get enough food to keep these guys alive?!"
to
"How can I get rid of all this food cluttering up my fort?!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »

Ah yes, the point in every Dorfer's career where your number one issue changes from,

"How can I get enough food to keep these guys alive?!"
to
"How can I get rid of all this food cluttering up my fort?!"

This.  You know you have food production down good when you are looking for new ways to get rid of food because you have too much.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36