Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35698 times)

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2011, 02:29:48 am »

one way to start in with metal weapon traps it to make use of the weapons the goblins so kindly start delivering to your front door once they come say hi to their new neighbors

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 04:35:36 am »

I've noticed that traders like to take advantage of inexperienced brokers.  The higher the Brokers skill is, the less profit the traders demand.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:41 am »

Hm.  Is it possible for me to create an NPC to insert into my game through modding? 

Was inspired by a certain elf king character, basically wondering if I could create something equally odd myself to add to either this fortress or a different one.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:54 am »

Not sure if it's still an issue, but some tips I've come across on the forums for speeding up the impossibly slow training of the military:

1) Make squads of 2~3 members each, to increase the odds of them sparring (which gives better training) and decrease the odds of them starting a demonstration, then waiting around doing nothing while one squad member finishes eating/drinking/sleeping to join them.
2) Make squads consist of people with as closely matched skills as possible, to decrease the odds of one trying to teach another some skill he is better in.  E.G. if one is a Proficient Biter, and the other is a Dabbling Biter, they will waste a lot of time as the Proficient Biter slowly teaches the Dabbling Biter how to bite things. 
3) Make squads all use the same weapon (related to rule 2)
4) If you trap a lot of wildlife/gobbos in cages, make a Mass Pitting Room with an arena below that can be sealed off, and station a squad below, them dump in live training dummies (after you've stripped their weapons.  For more training time, equip your squad with Training Weapons so bludgeoning the gobbos takes longer and gives more experience.  To train marksdwarves, just dig out a small 1 tile wide corridor next to the arena and carve fortifications in the wall, so they shoot into the arena without getting hurt.)
5) Make sure everyone has weapons (if metal is scarce, at least training weapons for training purposes), ammo (can be wood or bone for training), and is assigned to 'T'rain at a barracks, (can be one barracks for everyone, but you need several Archery Targets per Archery squad)

Once they're well trained, you can reorganise the squads however seems best for your strategies.  Rules 1-3 have a surprisingly large impact.  If you do happen to have some dwarves with extremely high combat skills, and some new recruits with very low skills, it's only worth putting them together in a 'teaching squad' if the veteran has a high 'Teacher' skill and the rookie has a high 'Student' skill (i.e., never).  Usually you'll get faster gains by sticking two equals together and letting them spar.  Sparring also won't happen much until they have at least some skill in a weapon, so maybe use rule 4) on recruits until they're at Novice level, then to sparring. 

Before implementing some of these ideas my militia would take a decade or so to advance to 'Skilled Rank.'  Now it's much faster, though nowhere near as fast as a danger room exploit.  It's closer to the rate that most other skills progress at, if a little slower, so it feels 'as intended.' 
If you're incredibly nerdy you can check out some specifics in this thread investigating the different methods of training militia

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 08:06:17 am »

Thankfully I've already done most of these things, though I really am hesitant to split up my five-member squads (five axes, five hammers, five crossbows).  When I get more immigrants I might create two more squads, one with two spear users, one with three, to make them spar more often.

No gobbos yet though, even with dogs posted at each entrance.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:29 am »

Thankfully I've already done most of these things, though I really am hesitant to split up my five-member squads (five axes, five hammers, five crossbows).  When I get more immigrants I might create two more squads, one with two spear users, one with three, to make them spar more often.

No gobbos yet though, even with dogs posted at each entrance.

Yeah, I myslef kept my 6 dwarf squads for several dwarf years after hearing the '2 dwarf squad tip' since they'd been together so long  :P.   If you make custom uniforms for each weapon (I have an 'Axe Crazy,' 'Gallagher,' 'Sord,' etc. uniform set up, each with identical armor but a different weapon.) it's much easier to set up the sparring squads.  So now I have to send 3 squads out instead of 1 to get 6 dwarves stationed somewhere, but it's just 2 extra buttons and well worth it. 

If you're looking for more gobbos/immigrants, try cranking up your wealth production.  Churn out the crafts, construct roads, etc. 
If you build it, they will come.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2011, 08:32:39 am »

I'll do that AFTER finishing my traps and fortifications,  ;D

I do have custom uniforms, but I'm also rather lazy.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:15 am »

I'll do that AFTER finishing my traps and fortifications,  ;D

I do have custom uniforms, but I'm also rather lazy.

Ah yes, next to FPS issues, laziness has been my greatest foe in my adventures thus far! 
"Hmmm I could mine out some new stockpile spaces for all the furniture... OR I could dump it in the tree farm, I'll deal with that later."

It has also claimed the lives of more miners than I care to mention.
"Well, I'm pretty sure channeling out this floor is safe.  I could do it just piece by piece and double check, but I'm only doing 2 rows at a time, so I should be good."

5 minutes later.

A section of the cavern has collapsed!
"Oh.  Carp.  Well, he was just a Competent Miner... And I think that was the only unstable spot, so...  Keep digging!"

Unpause

A section of the cavern has collapsed!

"Well, schist."

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:45 am »

I lost my first leader that way (he was digging so that he could be useful before the first trader arrived).  Whoops?

By the way, how would I add in a new character via modding?  Was pondering adding in an elf female child for the fort to adopt, similar to a certain king we all know and love so much, either in this fort or in my serene fort.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2011, 08:57:33 am »

I lost my first leader that way (he was digging so that he could be useful before the first trader arrived).  Whoops?

By the way, how would I add in a new character via modding?  Was pondering adding in an elf female child for the fort to adopt, similar to a certain king we all know and love so much, either in this fort or in my serene fort.

I don't know much about adding new positions myself, but this thread deals with adding back certain missing trade positions, and potentially creating new, unique positions (like the elf Wood Cartel rep.)

Perhaps easier is the DFusion tool, which includes the embark expander and Friendship tool, which supposedly let you embark with / command other races.

To make a unique civ position, your best bet may be asking people who know what they're doing in the modding forum.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:32 am »

Not a new position, just wanted to see if I could add in another citizen whom happened to be a human or elf.

Or kobold.  Hehe...

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

Not a new position, just wanted to see if I could add in another citizen whom happened to be a human or elf.

Or kobold.  Hehe...

Dfusion with Friendship may be your best bet then, but the modding forum would know for sure.  I do know that people have even made entire mods to use Kobolds exclusively, so it's possible.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:26 am »

Or kobold.  Hehe...

Dfusion with Friendship may be your best bet then, but the modding forum would know for sure.  I do know that people have even made entire mods to use Kobolds exclusively, so it's possible.

This.   It can be done and people have done it before...  just ask in the modding forum.

If you want to do it yourself, however, it can get fairly complex (even if the code in the raws is really straightforward).
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:17 am »

Well, I asked.  Now to go back to paying attention to the professor.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2011, 02:46:30 pm »

Journal interrupted:  Taking a one-day break from Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 36