Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: Man jailed for trolling  (Read 18290 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Man jailed for trolling
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2011, 06:46:58 pm »

Heckling mourners isn't constitutionally protected speech here.
It should be.

And therefore they deserve to die, seems to be your implication.

No, but perhaps they should be institutionalized and treated for whatever is wrong with their brain until such time as they are no longer a danger to themselves or to commuters.

See, now you're treating depression like it's something that others can catch early and goes away in a week with the right perscription of pills.
Depression is sometimes well hidden.
Depression sometimes never goes away, hanging over your head for years. Are you saying that people should be incarcerated for years because they feel sad?

Of course not. They should have the option to refuse. But if they do, refuse nobody should be held responsible, even in part, shouyld they later commit suicide unless there was a clear intent to kill (not to harass or annoy mind you, to KILL)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2011, 06:49:42 pm »

It should be.
Why exactly?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:08 pm »

The other thing that bothers me about this case is was there any sort of restraining order or cease-and-desist order or something before they just sent this guy to jail? It seems like they skipped a step.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:11 pm »

Bohandas, you're talking about people frequenting this thread, giving them their rights or taking them away, as though they're not human and don't deserve any sort of dignity.  I'd really like you to think about that for a while.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:34 pm »

Bohandas, I don't know of any country that requires a cease and desist order to find someone guilty of harassment. Harassment, especially knowing harassment, is always illegal.

I can see someone being provoked into trying to kill the person bullying them, but I cannot see someone being provoked into killing themself unless they either are already emotionally unstable or else are subjected to some kind of really intense brainwashing.
The fact that you lack imagination or basic understanding of psychology doesn't make it any less true, you know. Suicide may be classified as a mental disorder, but its actually a pretty inherently human response to certain combinations of stimuli as well.

And ALL teenagers are emotionally unstable. That's how they change from children to adults. That just makes them a lot more susceptible.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:55:19 pm by GlyphGryph »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2011, 06:54:08 pm »

Especially when it's done by some people here that seem to know next to nothing about what they're talking about.
Actually I had depression a few years ago, and was prescribed a course of SSRIs (Wikipedia tells me that means I had low Serotonin, like in the article), which is how I know that it is curable (through therapy, not drugs, mind. But drugs keep your productive and, presumably, help with not killing yourself, which I never tried to do anyway.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:14 pm »

You are not every person on the planet.

Your low serotonin is not everyone's low serotonin.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2011, 06:56:16 pm »

And there are plenty of people who commit suicide without having depression.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2011, 06:56:30 pm »

He is being punished because he slandered someone, and acted in a manner intended to cause emotional harm to it's family.
There is a malicious act committed with malicious intend, for no reason.
It is really a textbook example for when freedom of speech is not relevant.

Quote from: National Institute for Mental Health
suicide and suicidal behavior are not normal responses to stress; many people have these risk factors, but are not suicidal. Research also shows that the risk for suicide is associated with changes in brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, including serotonin. Decreased levels of serotonin have been found in people with depression, impulsive disorders, and a history of suicide attempts, and in the brains of suicide victims
There ya go: you only commit suicide if you have a chemical imbalance in the head, i.e. are mentally ill.

Bullshit. Seriously.

a chemical imbalance in the head, i.e. are mentally ill.

Wow, thank you so much, it's been years since scientists in the world are trying to produce a definition for mentally ill. They've never have guessed it was so simple.

But mental illness isn't simply a "chemical imbalance in your brain" and those "chemical" are secreted by yourself, depending on your mood, and other external simulation.
Beside those area are mostly un-understood, so just treat people with compassion, and Bohandas, that count for you.
Seriously, is it a crime to be vulnerable?
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »

It should be.
Why exactly?
I like giving more protection to freedom of speech in circumstances that don't cause panic.

Quote from: National Institute for Mental Health
suicide and suicidal behavior are not normal responses to stress; many people have these risk factors, but are not suicidal. Research also shows that the risk for suicide is associated with changes in brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, including serotonin. Decreased levels of serotonin have been found in people with depression, impulsive disorders, and a history of suicide attempts, and in the brains of suicide victims
There ya go: you only commit suicide if you have a chemical imbalance in the head, i.e. are mentally ill.
Yes it's well known that depression and suicide is caused by an imbalance in seratonin levels, but the only way to check that level would be to stick a god damn needle into your brain. FYI, that's really really dangerous.

Is it a depression a mental illness? yes. Can you reasonably check for it? NO. Can you use known medication to safely cause you to stop being depressed? NO.

Does that mean that a law that incarcerates people for having a mental disorder you can't check for and can't be diagnosed for sure is equivalent to a Salem Witch hunt? You're darn tootin.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:11 pm »

You are not every person on the planet.

Your low serotonin is not everyone's low serotonin.
Which is why I looked suicide up on NIMH. Depression is what causes it... most of the time (this is why I hate (and also love) science- they can never give a straight answer, only probabilities).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:02 pm »

I like giving more protection to freedom of speech in circumstances that don't cause panic.
And I like giving more protection to freedom of murder in cases where the murder weapon is a spoon.

...Why do you like giving more protection to freedom of speech in circumstances that don't cause panic?  Like, it would be nice if you gave reasons for this particular case.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »

Thanks a1s, please tell me how your version of depression is exactly the same as the one I still have. And how people with chemical imbalances are apparently inferior or whatever it is you're saying.

Please. Go on. We're all so interested to hear how you looked all this up on the internet and this makes you any kind of authority on this.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:49 pm »

Here's the other thing - depression doesn't always just "happen". Just like it can be treated, it can be caused. The brain is an incredibly powerful adaptive organism, and the right combinations of stimulus at the right times can certainly trigger mental illness a person wouldn't normally have. Unfortunately, every brain is different, and they are a lot easier to break than they are to fix.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2011, 07:07:08 pm »

Thanks a1s, please tell me how your version of depression is exactly the same as the one I still have. And how people with chemical imbalances are apparently inferior or whatever it is you're saying.
Look, it does not make people inferior any more than cancer or the common cold. But it is worse than being not crazy, all things being equal. Just like having a cold means you are sick in the lungs, and having a broken leg means you are sick in the leg, having depression means you are sick in the brain. And it doesn't serve you as well as it could. How is this news to anyone?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22