Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Which grafics do you prefer?  (Read 9348 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Which grafics do you prefer?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2011, 11:28:22 pm »

Curses.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2011, 05:58:47 pm »

The default ASCII. I've no objection to tilesets in principle, and the only reason I didn't start using one from the beginning was because I wasn't sure how to change the settings and didn't want to risk breaking the game. I got used to it so quickly that I never bothered with anything else, and the colour-coded smiley faces are a better visual shorthand for a dwarf's profession than any tileset graphic I've ever seen.
Besides, the Flora and Fauna mod is at the top of my "how did I ever play the game without this?" list, and it hasn't got a graphical tileset and isn't likely to acquire one.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 01:07:53 pm »

ASCII due to laziness.

Rhazak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which graphics do you prefer?
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »

Phoebus with Beefmo sprites for the dwarfs and other units.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 06:39:00 pm »

I suddenly remembered an ad for cinemas I saw once. Its general theme was like "Stop movie mistreatment" or such. So there was a reporter going to a playground, and he asked a six-year-old girl holding a smartphone how big King Kong was. The kid held two fingers to her display, then held them up and said "This big." The ad went on to make a different point, but I noticed that that's exactly the problem with graphics packs, you start thinking of goblins as of little green blobs on your display.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:05 pm »

Letters and other typographical symbols were probably designed so as to be easy to read, and easy to differenciate from one another, at least in the begining. Add the colours to that, and the default character set (which is more than ascii, by the way) is more easy to read than tilesets. Well, I did not try tilesets myself, but the little I have seen in screenshots from other players does usualy not give something easy to comprehend. It's a bit "blurry" for me.

Also, I got used to text-mode play with dungeon crawl before playing Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:47:39 pm by forumist »
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »

Default ASCII. I can't get tilesets to work, and it gives the game more of a roguelike feel.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

I'd rather imagine a goblin than look at some tiny green blob that's supposed to be one. :P

Strangely, I don't even imagine a goblin. a 'g' *is* a goblin (well, sometimes it can be a groundhog or a goat (but goats are white), but usually, as with natural languages, the context helps you to understand).
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 04:35:36 pm »

I go with the default ASCII, primarily because i'm so used to it that i can't see what the sprites in tilesets represent. Mostly the minerals, but still.

>.>

That isn't to disrespect the spriters, because as far as i see, many of them are quite good. The main issue, as mentioned, is my visual associations. A yellow £ means gold or limonite, and i can instantly recognize it as so, but changing to a tileset would require me to go loo'k' at the tiles before being able to tell it. I could probably get used to it, but i'm nice and comfy in my theta bed and pi chair. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »

I used Mike Mayday's graphics as my training wheels when I started DF, which was my portal to the amazing world of roguelikes. I started playing other roguelikes when I was still using my tileset and realized most symbols for everything are pretty universal so I just removed my tileset and went with ASCII. Never gone back since, I even turn off tilesets in roguelikes if they start with one.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »

I use the tile set I created; I kept the basic "smiley face" idea and added details to each, instead of trying to cram the whole dwarf/goblin/whatever into a tile. For text, I took Zaratustra's 16x16 set and added a bunch of custom stuff to it.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 08:53:37 pm »

Ironhand's, not because my imagination is deficient, but it's what I started with and it's a lot easier on my eyes than colors on a pure black background.

I can 'read' the ASCII just fine, and can honestly say that it doesn't take any more imagination to do so.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:37 am »

Yeah, I get far less eye-strain using graphics. And personally I have no problem imagining the 'green blob' as a goblin. Not sure why anyone would to be honest.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 07:31:42 am »

Yeah, I get far less eye-strain using graphics. And personally I have no problem imagining the 'green blob' as a goblin. Not sure why anyone would to be honest.
switch.

I actually really like a lot of the graphics sets I've seen, it's just with the resolution of monitor I use, and the distance I typically play at, it's difficult to tell tiles apart.  It's much easier for the human eye/brain to distinguish between large, simple, single-colour objects than very detailed, multicoloured objects with similar outlines.  If you stand back a ways from your screen and look at a tileset you may see the 'green blob' issue that some of us get with tilesets. 

If I could find a way to play with a graphics set that didn't involve me squinting, leaning in and pausing all the time to see what's happening, I'd definitely use a graphics set.  The 80 horizontal tile limit seems to be the main obstacle to this, at least for me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2011, 12:49:46 am »

ASCII. Mainly because I like it more, but also because g is a much clearer indicator of what something is than a tiny pixelly blob that may or may not be a living thing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5