Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Skill Consolidation  (Read 7924 times)

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
Skill Consolidation
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:30:07 am »

Simplifying Skill Lists

As the list of workshops has increased over time, the list of skills has blossomed with it.  However, many skills are only useful for performing one or two rare tasks, and many skills are simply unnecessarily fine-grained (e.g. Fish Dissector, which is totally different from Fish Cleaning).

This causes problems with migrants.  How many players have thrown a wave of lye-makers and bowyers under a bridge and then slammed it down in frustration?  Or gotten a cheese maker who doesn't know how to milk an animal, leaving your workshop inefficient until they train up a pointless secondary skill?  Or what good is it when one of your precious strange moods goes to a woodcrafter on a wood-starved map?

In this thread, I'd like us to propose ways to pare down the skills list to fix some of the above issues.  To avoid a tl;dr post, I've put the reasoning in spoiler blocks above each set of proposals.

Spoiler: I.  Meat Processing (click to show/hide)
Proposal 1a.  Merge Animal Dissection into Butchery.  Merge Fish Dissection into Fish Cleaning.
Proposal 1b.  As above, but also merge Butchery and Fish Cleaning; retain separate workshops.

Spoiler: II.  Bowyers (click to show/hide)
Proposal 2a.  Move all bolt-making & crossbow-making (i.e. metal) to the Bowyer skill.  Move wooden & bone arrow fletching to the Bowyer's Workshop instead of the overloaded Craftsdwarf's Shop. 
Proposal 2b.  Eliminate the Bowyer skill and move all bow-making to Weaponsmithing.  Retain the bowyer's workshop, but move arrow-making there.  Leave the skill for making bolts as a craft skill.
Proposal 2c.  As 2b, but eliminate the bowyer's workshop, and move all wood & bone crossbow making to the Craftsdwarf's Workshop.

Spoiler: III.  Siege Engineers (click to show/hide)
Proposal 3.  Merge Siege Engineering into Carpentry.  Require Mechanics for the assembly of the parts.

Spoiler: IV.  Crafts (click to show/hide)
Proposal 4.  Merge Woodcrafting, Bone Carving, and Stone Crafting into Carving.
Proposal 5.  Merge Metalcrafting and Wax Working into Casting.
Proposal 6.  Merge Glazing into Pottery.
Proposal 7.  Merge Leatherworking into Clothesmaking?  (Retain separate shops.)

Spoiler: V.  Farmers (click to show/hide)
Proposal 8.  Merge Cheese Maker and Milker into Dairy Farmer.
Proposal 9.  Merge Spinner and Shearer into Wool Gathering.
Proposal 10a.  Merge Potash Maker and Lye Maker into Ashery Worker.  Merge Wood Burner into Furnace Operator.
Proposal 10b.  Merge Potash Maker, Lye Maker, and Wood Burner into Ashery Worker.

Spoiler: VI.  Simple Machines (click to show/hide)
Proposal 11.  Merge Pump Operating, Pressing, and Milling into Machine Operator.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:33:43 am by Valdrax »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Kraos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:33:44 am »

I support this idea. Posting to follow.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:31:31 am »

I do support moving fletching bone and wooden bolts to crossbowmaking and apropriate workshop.

But not really interested in rest of it. I usually "simulate" merged skills by enabling multiple skills on dwarf - for example, my furnace operators also have wood burning enabled.

I would, however support some reorganization - for example, move wood burning to metalsmithing category and make wood burners "gray".

Make new separate category with Animal Dissection, Butchery, Merge Fish Dissection and Fish Cleaning, move fishing to ranging category.

Move Architecture to Stoneworking (white profession).

Basically, make stuff better organized.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:53:32 am »

Okay, I think this is a great idea, some consolidation would be great for several reasons, although there is one thing I need to point out. Consolidation of jobs is great, it makes experts better and more flexible, but I donīt want consolidation of labors. Even if itīs the same job, I want to be able to separate who does milling and who does pump operating, so that my farmers donīt go and try to pump magma when I need them in the food industry complex. I think it can be done by simply having the labor category Machine operator, below which is 3 jobs, Milling, Pump Operator and Pressing, so that I can send my drones to Pump and Farmers to Mill.

The ones I think should be implemented:
Proposal 1a.  Merge Animal Dissection into Butchery.  Merge Fish Dissection into Fish Cleaning.
Proposal 2a.  Move all bolt-making & crossbow-making (i.e. metal) to the Bowyer skill.  Move wooden & bone arrow fletching to the Bowyer's Workshop instead of the overloaded Craftsdwarf's Shop. 
Proposal 11.  Merge Pump Operating, Pressing, and Milling into Machine Operator.

Disapprove:
Proposal 5.  Merge Metalcrafting and Wax Working into Casting.

I canīt think of anything my favorite industry, Textile, could get from this though, but if there is a bit fewer problems in farming then this one should solve itself.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:55:34 am by Forumite »
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:17:00 am »

Also: move Dying to crafting group.

Locke

• Bay Watcher
  • Disregaurd Women, Apply Magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:37:03 am »

Eeeeh, I like the fact I can seperate butchers and fish cleaners.  The more job classifications the better, I just wish to god a migrant that is legendary in bowyering (sad day, my fortress is now known for Sparklespanked, the Oak bow. It menaces with spikes of hippies) and yet can't grasp the concept of sharpening sticks into bolts. SKILLs need to be consolidated (which is what the OP is suggesting), however, jobs should stay fleshed out.
No, I am not Locke from Final Fantasy.
No, I am not Locke from Lost.
I'm from Ender's Game, Mofo.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:42:22 am »

Knowledge of how to properly laminate wood to make a bow does not include fletching. I don't see the problem.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:47:05 pm »

Knowledge of how to properly laminate wood to make a bow does not include fletching. I don't see the problem.

It's not a more diverse set of skills than carpenters that can make a proper wooden training sword and act as a cooper, sealing wooden barrels, nor a weaponsmith that can forge crossbows and giant metal spiked balls.  At least it's logically grouped together into a single profession that way.

(edit: grammar)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:09:51 pm by Valdrax »
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:31:28 pm »

Very good suggestion indeed. I could get along with every its part except 7th (do not want for some reason ) and 2nd one: actually I don't see much of a  problem here, it takes me a long time to set up forges and when you have only a dozen bars of weapon grade bars wooden crossbows are priceless.
I don't mind letting bowyers fetch arrows especially considering that weaponsmiths forge both already. But smithing has nothing to do with wood so I'm clearly against 2b and 2c, If one wishes to merge bow-making with something, it should be carpentry because its about creating things that can handle harsh treatment, not about carving beautiful figurines.

But not really interested in rest of it. I usually "simulate" merged skills by enabling multiple skills on dwarf - for example, my furnace operators also have wood burning enabled.
This thread isn't about simulating, this is about getting hight master soap-maker migrants instead of masons, smiths, soldiers etc. Me personally would prefer getting simple peasants instead.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Kraos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:27 pm »

Skills are already in categories like farming and crafts. So if Toady makes two raw files one for categories one for skill groups one could easily mix and match skills to their liking. for example if you want all of the fish related things as one skill you could merge them into one group called fishworking and that would be the skill. You could then make a category called feeding and put farming, butchery and fishworking under that. Needs much work tho but I think that would make everyone happy.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:00:42 am »

Likes in order of posted skills:
1b
2a.
NONE ON CRAFTING
8 and 9
Not eleven; what if you want something specific there?
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:15 am »

Burrows.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:09:58 am »

I'm not sure I support fully merging the skills for carving stone, wood etc; differences in medium can make more difference than you might think. What I think would work better is a sort of overall skill, along the lines of the Fighter or Archer skills in combat, that would give a boost to one's performance in another area. These skills would enable dwarves to gain levels faster in related disciplines; a Master Craftsdwarf/Legendary Stonecrafter should level up in Bone Carving a bit faster, for example, and a Master Stoneworker/Legendary Engraver would quickly get the hang of masonry. There's no reason some of these couldn't overlap a bit, in fact; Stoneworkers should logically master Stonecrafting more easily, and train the Craftsdwarf skill at the same time. In fact, I think the Craftsdwarf skill should have some bearing on almost every job, as it represents something more akin to a state of being than a job-skill.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:00 am »

Skills are already in categories like farming and crafts. So if Toady makes two raw files one for categories one for skill groups one could easily mix and match skills to their liking. for example if you want all of the fish related things as one skill you could merge them into one group called fishworking and that would be the skill. You could then make a category called feeding and put farming, butchery and fishworking under that. Needs much work tho but I think that would make everyone happy.
Modable GUI (profession groups) and everything in raws (modding vanilla skills/professions) would be good. But, you know, even if we can fully customize stuff, that doesn't mean that defaults needn't be reasonable.

Burrows.
why do something and then search for workaround? let's keep non-fun stuff simple. perhaps machine operating would be better as a group, maybe even with one related skill, just as it was suggested for masonry-wall-building and masonry-workshop-working.

Spoiler: wall'o'text from above (click to show/hide)
Now we're talking. This could also solve the problem of completely useless migrants making them slightly-useless ones  ;)
However I'd like to keep away from bloated general skills like crafting there, maybe we should try not-so-state-of-being overall skills representing techniques used in job, for example: carving, machine operating, mental work; and skills related to material being used: stone-lore, familiarity with metal, wood-knowledge and so on.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 06:22:23 am »

Consolidate skills sounds great, but jobs can stay separate, so we donīt need burrows to make sure the useless drones are running for the pump, instead of the valuable farmer.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5