Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Skill Consolidation  (Read 7909 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Consolidation
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37:42 pm »

I prefer this suggestion
You'll still end up with a matrix where you have to determine an arbitrary percentage of synergy for each skill vs. each other skill... And you have to update it for every skill you add.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »

Yes, and neither of our proposals eliminate RNG flukes.  However, my proposal is intended to make RNG flukes more manageable by eliminating bad rolls from the skill table.  It's also intended to make "bad" rolls on the Strange Mood table less frustrating by having single skills cover more ground.
Yes' but my proposal did remove flukes, by creating a list of professions which would bestow the needed partial-skills. Not hard to iterate the current professions, do a skill breakdown and only give out those skills. This allows synergy while still giving sensible skill-sets. That's not a difficult solution to understand. Perhaps you'd like me to code this in C++ and upload it?

Currently all skills are totally separate, and you only utilize 1 skill at a time, so it doesn't make sense for Toady to code "synergy" in the old system, since it bestows no actual benefit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]