Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 33553 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Hell, what we made the Icemachine for?!
Peregar is a lucky bastard, he he...

I tried using it, it did not attract the goblins. Useless piece of machinery.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Did you actually replace the bait puppy like it said in the instructions?  It won't work without something to attract the goblins into the freeze channel.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess Derm and Hatebeard need redorfing again? ;) What is the status on named dwarfs?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Time to Body surf!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Oh, with all that madness I forgot...

Can I have an adamantine cloth hood, please?  :D
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

You're supposed to lock the front door too. Use the 'Outer Front Door Raise' lever.

I think I mentioned it in one of my early posts.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

Did you actually replace the bait puppy like it said in the instructions?  It won't work without something to attract the goblins into the freeze channel.

Yes I did. It might have died in there though. Everyone's feet is rotting off.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing's happened by now, and by now I mean the sixth of Obsidian. I managed to get FPS up to skyhigh levels (from ~25 to 50-60), cleared up a few bottlenecks, got our total dwarf population down to 73, and such silly things. I could write up some fluff if you want me to, but otherwisely, I've got nothing to do with this.

Oh, and there are seven named dwarves alive, not including mine: Di, Harken, Mormota, Paladin Mitch, Peregar, Sphala, and Yelp. You can take a pick out of the 65 other ones if you will, since the spiral seems completely stabilized by now.

Will pack this up and upload soonish.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:49:04 am by LordSlowpoke »

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need a new dwarf, but im going with the one I posted a while back. Doesn't have to be a marksman. This fort is epic, but what happened to the demon arc plot?!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile

Okay, my schedule is a bit tight this week, but I'll download the save and get to work as soon as possible (as in, I'll download it now, but it might not be until tonight before I can post an update).

Wow.  Just, wow.  I have absolutely no idea where to begin.  This place is a mess.  It's going to take me a while just to figure out where everything is.  There are no fewer than four forgotten beasts running around, a tenth of our population is hospitalized, the stockpiles are woefully disorganized, and I don't know what anything does.

It's only been a few days (in-game), but they've been pretty exciting.

This miner's corpse is just sitting there.  No wonder his ghost is so angry.

I think this sums things up pretty well.

We actually have way more food and drink than we could possibly need for a while, which is good.  I haven't quite decided what I want to do with my turn yet.

Wait, what?

Who ordered that to be dug out?

There's no way in from the second cavern layer, is there?  It's right next to another forgotten beast, a towering quadruped composed of ice, but it's moving somewhere alarmingly fast.
Okay, it settled not too far from where it entered, in the middle of one of the lakes.

That's it for spring.  I refilled all the empty military squads and put them on rotating training schedules, so that half of the military is training at any one time.  I also made some more coffins, and I am currently working on putting some troublesome ghosts to rest.

I put one ghost to rest, another FB showed up, a fire imp set a militia commander on fire (he died), then a plague fell on The Organized Slings, a military squad.  Whoever I assign to the tenth position in that squad bleeds to death in minutes.  I have left that spot open for now, after losing three dwarves to whatever it is that's killing them.  I get the feeling it's a piece of equipment.

Actually, it was several.  I'm not sure I got them all, so I'm still going to leave that spot open.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:41:01 am by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

Whoever I assign to the tenth position in that squad bleeds to death in minutes.  I have left that spot open for now, after losing three dwarves to whatever it is that's killing them.  I get the feeling it's a piece of equipment.
It is likely that a piece of equipment, or more than one, has fire imp goo on it.  That will cause the equipment to be superheated and kill any dwarf who picks it up.  You need to find that equipment and forbid it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'd just like to thank the guy who made the first magma forges for not monsterproofing a single thing. I wanted to dismantle that part and floor it over nicely so we don't get more imps than we need, but somehow forgot about that. Oh well.

Also, the fort isn't really that bad if you look at it for a few minutes. There's what, five important z-levels, and maybe the processing area for the giant piles of gold that's revelant. Have ye Fun.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dammit guys, I'm completely displeased to see what have become to this place: Arzun has gone the way of Sankis but after one dwarf and one dog he was struck down by random engraver, Yerp is sued for disorderly conduct against Sphala, out of six their children only two live, and all we got here was:
120-something dwarves left alive, all who are not tantruming, around ten, are locked inside the food and booze stockpiles. The rest will die.

This was a fort with a neat story, not 'lol, elephants just charged in and I was too busy laughing to save dwarves, that was fun, lol'.
And the last one, what the hell the main planter is doing in army?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile

Journal of Gizogin, overseer of Icemachines for the year of 53
Summer report:
This fortress is a complete disaster.  Everyone's unhappy, and I can't say I blame them.  There have been many deaths recently, clouds of miasma hang in the halls, people and pets are falling victim to the many beast sicknesses that coat the floors and walls, and fire imps keep finding their way in through the poorly designed magma workshops.  There are some other glaring design flaws, too; turns out that the only thing protecting us from every foul and nasty beast in the caverns was a gem window.  I say 'was' because, predictably, a forgotten beast smashed it to pieces.  I mobilized the (new) military, and they dispatched it without a problem, but it really made me realize just how dangerous this place is.  I had a wall built to replace the window, but I'm still looking for other areas that could prove disastrous.
To illustrate just how bad things are: Sphala's baby son was apparently exposed to some FB extract or something, causing all his skin to rot away.  Everywhere he went, he left a huge cloud of miasma.  He eventually died of infection, which threw Sphala into a pretty miserable state.  She threw a tantrum and destroyed one of our major farm plots, scattering plump helmets everywhere (note to self: excavate more food storage space).
The hospital is overcrowded, and dwarves are complaining of thirst constantly.  Even though I had some wells built, our other dwarves seem to find any excuse to ignore them.

(seriously, I'm going to spend the rest of my turn just trying to keep the fortress alive.  I don't have any grand plans or anything, I'll be satisfied if this place just manages to not kill itself somehow.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:20:52 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23