Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: You are a Robot.  (Read 9061 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Robot.
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2011, 01:36:18 pm »

I'll get much more anoyed if the entire point of the game is blocked by red tape. Nobody but me has showed any interest in exploratory adaptation, and it requires lots of adapts for the concept to be viable.

But I understand the concern. Let people VETO specific adaptations instead.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »

Quietly get closer
I like the idea of the robot quietly sneaking while also shouting at the man.

I'll get much more anoyed if the entire point of the game is blocked by red tape. Nobody but me has showed any interest in exploratory adaptation, and it requires lots of adapts for the concept to be viable.

But I understand the concern. Let people VETO specific adaptations instead.
The point was you were taking it to an absurd degree. If we need specific adaptations to accomplish something that's fine, but trying to run it on everything we see or stupid shit like esoteric concepts and recursiveness is just annoying.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 03:43:38 pm »

I'm not. I'm trying to test edge cases to figure out how it works, and improve general capabilities, especially for recursive self improvement because that leads to an exponential increase in power basically forever. I'm doing SCIENCE.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2011, 08:07:34 pm »

>Engage too-loud vocal circuits: "GREETINGS MAN I AM ROBOT PLEASE INSERT DIRECTIVES"
^ Definitely this. Whilst right next to him. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2011, 08:43:16 pm »

I'm not. I'm trying to test edge cases to figure out how it works, and improve general capabilities, especially for recursive self improvement because that leads to an exponential increase in power basically forever. I'm doing SCIENCE.

Ah, but as we currently lack directives, we do not know whether we need infinite power. Excessive power is inefficient, and as a robot it is our job to strive for efficiency! Moreover, we already know that adapt.exe dislikes abstract concepts but has thus far delivered on all physical requests. This is probably enough to be getting on with- I personally am in favor of adapting to specific circumstances until that adaptation is no longer needed, then discarding it. Cleaner that way.

>Engage too-loud vocal circuits: "GREETINGS MAN I AM ROBOT PLEASE INSERT DIRECTIVES"
^ Definitely this. Whilst right next to him. :D

+1

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:31 pm »

Up with the date!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 08:32:40 am »

Ah, but as we currently lack directives, we do not know whether we need infinite power. Excessive power is inefficient, and as a robot it is our job to strive for efficiency! Moreover, we already know that adapt.exe dislikes abstract concepts but has thus far delivered on all physical requests. This is probably enough to be getting on with- I personally am in favor of adapting to specific circumstances until that adaptation is no longer needed, then discarding it. Cleaner that way.

This is wrong in so many ways I don't even...
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 08:35:38 am »

The point is that we could sit in a room for eternity and try different adaptations or we could play the game and have fun. I prefer to go have fun.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:40 am »

Umm, trying out adaptations and seeing how the program adapts IS the fun part of the game. Rolling around and doing stuff is boooooring and overdone in every. single. game. The adaptation mechanic is infinitely much more interesting.

Maybe the game should simply be branched? One thread without adaptations, and one with only adaptations. Because it seems clear that any agreement on this matter is impossible.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 09:40:45 am »

I guess we just have different definitions of fun. For me, having the main character sit in an abandoned warehouse randomly trying to apply esoteric concepts to an adaptation program while ignoring the outside world is boring. Nobody is saying to stop doing it, but that shouldn't dominate the game. We can both enjoy the game, rather than just you enjoying it, by doing a bit of both.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2011, 09:45:09 am »

Hey, if we find an old monster truck, I am SO adapting that shit. :P
But yeah, I'm with Forsaken, just sitting around adapting is pretty boring. But if we see something interesting lying around? Let's adapt it. :) But we have to actually do stuff, too, otherwise every turn would just be adaptions.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2011, 01:15:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

>Whilst right next to him.

You approach the sleeping man, before testing your voice emulation software on what appears to be it's highest setting, which is roughly 67~ decibels of metallic shouting. The man leaps up with a shout, looking around wildly before finally noticing you. "Greetings... man...what... I have got to stop drinking so much before bed." He seems to have decided you are a hallucination, and despite his statement promptly sits back down to take a drink from a nearby bottle.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2011, 01:34:28 pm »

> Continuing the vocal test, lower volume by 3 decibels. "VERBAL EXCHANGE CONTINUES: INSERT DIRECTIVES IMMEDIATELY"

> Adapt.exe (Target=Man, IPoint=Whole Body, ILevel=Modify)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:01 pm »

> The bottle is interfering with acquisition of directives. The bottle must be eliminated.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

> Adapt.exe (Target=Man, IPoint=Whole Body, ILevel=Modify)
Seconding.

###

Your job is not to go with the majority, your job is to make a game that makes the forums at large a better place If there already are 99 games that follow the majority then making a 100th is pointless.

Also: what "philosophy"? there's nothing philosophical about my suggestions. On the contrary, they are entirely straightforward, unless you've actually painted yourself into a corner as badly as making a system you don't yourself understand plot central.

I mean, read them again:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The entire batch dosnt even try to modify our physical shape at all, since that's alredy been tried. The first two try to modify software, the second tries to modify somehting which is not part of ourself (specifically modify it into a copy of ourself), the the fourth is a paint job. None of the objections people have raised over excessive adapting even applies to them.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8