Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74925 times)

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Three
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2011, 04:12:06 pm »

I said a few not 2  :P
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2011, 05:03:02 pm »

Search around the streets.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »

Walk tot he train station and watch the train as if waiting for someone. (Well, I am)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Four
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2011, 10:24:18 am »

Chapter One Part Four

The Waterloo Détente

Walk to the train station and watch the train as if waiting for someone. (Well, I am)

Find a patriotic Frenchmen (towards either England of France) and warn him of the threat Germany poses to France, and see if I can't convince him to help us recapture Napoleon von Junker.

[4] Finishing his tea at Waterloo, Wellington strolls over to the platform where Junker's train from Portsmouth is expected, looking very much as if he is waiting for someone to arrive. While he does so, his comrade in gentlemanliness, Winston Smith, searches around for a patriotic looking Frenchman or two. [3] He happens to find one - a smartly dressed chap carrying a bottle of wine who's somehow managed to find, in the small hours of the morning,  two magnificent looking baguettes. He says he also has to meet someone arriving on the Portsmouth train, and that, as a true patriotic Frenchman, he would be honoured to help you. He says his father fought the Prussians at Gravelotte, and he is angry that they stole France's finest beer producing regions! He promises he will signal discreetly with his baguettes at the first German he sees. You both walk to Platform 4a where Wellington is waiting.

The train should arrive shortly.

The Dover Affair
Find a few Scots that are patriotic towards Scotland and enlist them to help us, i mean which Scot wouldn't help a relative of William Wallace.

[6] Strolling at a gentlemanly pace around the centre of Dover, Thomas Wallace comes across a company of the renowned Black Watch, the distinguished regiment of Highlanders. Apparently they are on duty in Dover, protecting the South of England against the Europeans who are threateningly near. Their captain, Captain McWallace, is honoured to make the acquaintance of a gentleman related to that paragon of Scottish gentlemanliness William Wallace, and when you tell him of the terrible threat you are fighting he readily orders 6 of his soldiers to come and help your search! They are all armed with Lee-Enfield rifles with the traditional Scottish claymore bayonet attachment!

Play I see what you don't see while we're in the car. And what I'm seeing is an aerial transportation device. Once arrived, start chatting up a few locals about any exotic devices that they might have seen.

[3(+1)] While Wallace is enlisting the Scots, John Link spots a police constable on patrol in the wee hours.

He approaches him and explains the German threat, and the constable informs you that he happens to have seen a strange flying contraption resembling an enormous rugby ball with an attached biscuit box land a mile away by the coast that very afternoon. He gives you detailed directions and wishes you good night.

Follow Darvi around, and let him do the talking. Except for the polite conversation necessary for any gentleman of tact, of course.

[1] Von Fersen, descending from the car with the others, soon gets distracted when he passes a tobacconist's shop with a particularly fine and rare blend of pipe tobacco advertised in the front window. He's inspired to take out his pipe and have a quick smoke, and when he's finished preparing and lighting it he turns around to discover that he has lost his gentlemanly companions.

As he takes a calmly bemused puff on his finely crafted pipe, two men approach. They are very clearly Germans, and they ask you in a coarsely accented English what a fine gentleman like you is doing about in the streets of Dover on such a cold night? They don't seem very friendly, but then you have rarely met any Germans, especially recently, who do.

Search around the streets.

[3] Henry McGeenyton, meanwhile, searches around the streets, but it is very early on a snowy Friday morning, and no one is to be found.

The Joy of Waterloo
Standing about at Waterloo, looking for all the world as if he was waiting for someone to arrive, which he is, Wellington hears the approaching sound of a magnicent British steam engine. As the train hoves into view, his heart is stirred by the tremendous feat of engineering that bears witness to the ingenuity of his countryfolk, as any British gentleman's heart would be.

The train slows in an explosion of steam and screeching brakes, to Wellington a symphony of exquisite Britishness, a sound signifying the triumph of the empire over the entire Earth! It is as if Apollo himself aimed his steam powered bow from the port of Portsmouth, willing it to land at Waterloo station precisely at 36 minutes past the hour of 1. It is a miracle in metallic form!

Mr Wellington's euphoric musings are interrupted when Smith nudges his elbow.

"I say," he says, "The Frenchie is waving his baguette!"

Wellington and Smith turn. The man they see descend from the foremost first class carriage is undeniably, inescapably German.

He steps off the train and looks around - particularly shiftily, as Winston Smith would later recollect. He is in a hurry, and is nervously carrying an attache case.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:27:59 am by lawastooshort »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:20 am »

Hmmmm, biscuits.

Purchase some. You never know when the next teatime begins.

Wait, wasn't Fersen supposed to be following me? Blimey, let's find him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:40:04 am by Darvi »

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2011, 11:28:28 am »

What to do with the shifty German? He may be von Junker, he may be no one important, and he could be a decoy. Then again, he is a German...

Ask to see what is in the attache case. If he starts running, try to hit him in the hand with the case so that he drops it, then his legs to stop him from running. You can't escape the U.S. Marshals MI:G! If he refuses, mumble something about Normandy, and let Wellington try to convince him to let us look at it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2011, 12:54:40 pm »

Kindly address the Preussian schweinehunde in a non-threatening way.
"Ah, good sirs, you see, a great misfortune has fallen upon me. I was on my way to a fabulous hunting party at a fellow gentleman's estate over in Canterbury when my best gun dog, a black-coated retriever, got it in his mind to run away - God knows why, he's never shown any such disposition before. Nonetheless, I find myself in this miserable position as I can not leave for my friend's without him, and me and my butler has been forced to look for him all night.

Oh - but forgive me, I forget my manners. I am August von Fersen. A pleasure to meet you." I hold my hand out to greet them. "You wouldn't have happened to spot such a loose dog, would you?"

If they fall for my ruse and go leave me alone, I follow them at a distance, wherever they head next.
Love, scriver~

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

Offer the angry Germans tea.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »

Offer the angry Germans tea.

Well, you're not with von Fersen and the angry Germans just yet, but if you bump into them in the course of the next turn then I will roll this. It is perfectly possible and particularly gentlemanly.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2011, 05:27:07 pm »

Go talk to the locals and find out anything that could help us.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Interlude
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2011, 04:36:06 am »

Oxford, Friday, 4th January, 1906

Dear Professor Birkeland,

I wish to send my humblest expression of gratitude for your enormously kind offer. I should be delighted to visit your laboratories this spring. As you know, I have been working on an experimental weapon of my own, although I suppose one should not discuss this in a written form. As is obvious in the aftermath of the Affair of the Damaged Hat, the enemies of the British Empire are remarkably cunning nowadays! But I should be extremely interested in seeing your magnetic-coil powered, as you call it, electromagno-cannon.

I plan on visiting your wonderful fjords beforehand, it would be marvelous if I could have a sighting of one of your renowned Norwegian Blues – I have been a keen ornithologist since the wife suggested I take up a side-interest to distract me from my constant musings on terrifying machines of death, and parrots are a particularly fascinating subset.

Since I plan to spend a month hiking in the glorious fjords beforehand, I was hoping that April would be an appropriate time to come to visit your laboratories? Please let me know at your earliest convenience. It would be delightful to meet you and you wife again; it has certainly been a long time since Helsinki! Hopefully nothing of that sort shall happen again, however. I’ve heard that they have delightfully rebuilt the centre of that fine city.

With the kindest regards from both I and my good wife,

Yours sincerely,

Professor Blythington-Smythe
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:20:45 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2011, 04:37:02 am »

I believe I am just waiting for DBZ's action before I can post Chapter One Part Five. With any luck there won't be any more [1]s when I roll his action. There has been quite enough of that sort of thing.

Edit: if only there was a gothic looking font like in Asterix.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:45:20 am by lawastooshort »

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:04 am »

Is this going to be the next chapter? Or is this just something to fill the time? If it's the next chapter, then I would hope someone else wants to hold it. I know I don't want to be the next Helsinki.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:35 pm »

A bit of both really. I was waiting to finish Part Five and got inspired by Chapter Two, which, yes, will feature Prof. Blythington-Smythe and possibly Prof. Birkeland - who, in fact, actually did invent the coil gun in real life - you know, a Gauss gun as it is also called. I believe.

How long is it polite to wait before going on with a turn? I've PMed DBZ.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »

I'd give him until tomorrow, though I'd really want this to keep going. We have gentlestuff to accomplish!
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50