Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVI - Scum Win!  (Read 62917 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 2 - Stains of blood
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »

From what I see, the entire thread is against me, for reasons I'm still not sure I understand. I came in, started scumhunting and that very second people dissed me for doing that. Then I cut back on it, being a new player and unsure of what to do, then people diss me for that. Tell me, if you were a townie in my position, wouldn't you despair? I'm cornered and about to get mislynched, of course I'm defending.

Why am I not scumhunting? Try doing that when everyone is calling you an idiot for being aggressive and a scum for not, plus being a new player on top of that.

Emotional appeals are considered scummy. Just so you know.

Just relax a little. Everybody isn't out to get you. It will take a time to get the hang of the game, and in the meantime, we'll be there to help you when you go wrong. What you don't realize is that we're actually holding your hand here. You may not appreciate it, but nobody said that a game of mafia would be a cakewalk. Why, I think I said in the New Player's Guide to the Subforum that a mafia game can be an intense experience for people who don't know what they're doing.

Looking back at your questions, they're alright, but you should leave off the wildly speculative part that you tacked on at the end. So, instead of this:

Jim Groovester, you seem to be awfully intent on proving your point. Perhaps there is more to that than simple stuborness?
I'm quite uncertain what you meant by the question, that's why I avoided it. I do not actually know why he was not playing, I don't know him. At all. But I think I can see why you asked it. Perhaps you're wondering if he had a role, Orangebottle? Perhaps you are wondering if I'm the doctor, to give you, one of the mafia, a fine target?
As you wish, Powder Miner. Tell me then, again, just what are you basing your claims on me? Why do you keep telling me to be aggressive? Are you perhaps afraid you'll forget to do that? How can you even call me passive? I have a feeling you just barged in here, saw someone who you know not to be scum, tried to make up a reason, and attacked.

You would be better off asking questions like this:

Jim Groovester, you seem to be awfully intent on proving your point. Why are you so aggressive about it?
I'm quite uncertain what you meant by the question, that's why I avoided it. I do not actually know why he was not playing, I don't know him. At all. Why did you ask?
As you wish, Powder Miner. Tell me then, again, just what are you basing your claims on me? Why do you keep telling me to be aggressive? Are you perhaps afraid you'll forget to do that? How can you even call me passive?

These edited questions are fine. They're not brilliant, but the moment you get rid of the crazy paranoia your questions improve immensely. The gist of this is that until you have a basic grasp of what does and does not constitute scummy behavior, you should probably keep whatever ideas and conclusions you have about it to yourself, but this is important: Don't stop asking questions. If something bugs you, you better ask a question about it.

You'll get the hang of it eventually if you keep at it. Don't give up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2011, 07:02:49 pm »

You can relate to the question and why it was asked, yet suspect Orangebottle of role-fishing for doing so, Mormota?

Isn't it the job of a townie to try finding the mafia? I was asked a question which I could obviously not answer, and surely Orangebottle knew it. How would I know backtobasesix's reason for staying away from the thread? Role-fishing seemed the only plausible explanation at the time.
At the time? You make it sound like you have considered other possibilities since. I am aware that the intention of Orangebottle's question was to ruffle your feathers, Mormota, but wouldn't it be more logical to just berate him for asking an unanswerable question than to bring up roles? Also, if you were so uncertain about what was asked of you, how was it obvious that no right answer existed?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54:39 pm »

Mormota, it was indeed a justifiable claim. And even if you don't consider it a justifiable claim, that's no reason to OMGUS. And those reasons I brought up "later on" were just me repeating what I had earlier said.

Noone called you an idiot for being aggressive, that's just an excuse to avoid scumhunting. I've been cornered and about to be mislynched before, indeed, in both of my previous BEginner's mafia games. YEt I still tried to scumhunt. Failingly, yes, but I tried. There is no excuse for not scumhunting, no excuse for being passive. COmbine that with the OMGUS and it's very scummy. So let me ask, why did you OMGUS me? I won't be quiet on it. It's suspicious, and I'll press you on it whether you like it or not. And acting confused doesn't change that, because I have a feeling you know perfectly well the reasons, considering everyone repeated them over and over.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2011, 08:09:18 pm »

From what I see, the entire thread is against me, for reasons I'm still not sure I understand.
Then ask for clarification. What don't you understand?

I came in, started scumhunting and that very second people dissed me for doing that. Then I cut back on it, being a new player and unsure of what to do, then people diss me for that.
Nobody's been insulting you because it's fun. You've been "dissed" repeatedly because your attempts at scumhunting are horribly, horribly mangled, and there's no real benefit in trying to sugar-coat that fact.

Tell me, if you were a townie in my position, wouldn't you despair? I'm cornered and about to get mislynched, of course I'm defending.
No. I'd figure out what I was doing wrong and fix it. Almost everyone else in the game has managed to not get dogpiled by the entire rest of the thread, so clearly you're doing something wrong that you don't have to be.

Why am I not scumhunting? Try doing that when everyone is calling you an idiot for being aggressive and a scum for not, plus being a new player on top of that.
Going on and on about what a poor, persecuted noob you are looks scummy and doesn't help you get better. If we haven't been properly explaining how to scumhunt, or how not to scumhunt, request clarification.

And please, quite the OMGUSing. I already elaborated on that, and it's getting tiring.
What's the purpose of this phrase?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2011, 11:00:37 pm »

*sigh*
Fine. Unvote.
zombie urist, you've borrowed too many other people's reasons for your votes. It makes me think you don't have any real suspicions of your own.
School is starting and I'm already spending less time on this game. Additionally, if this game somehow lasts more than another week, I probably will need a replace.
That being said, I'm honestly still not completely sure what to look for in posts to find scummy behavior.

Powder Miner seemed to jump on me with some rather strange reason, especially considering he said I was stating that scumhunting is not aggressive, which is simply not true. After that, he seems to provide a fairly beliavable explanation, but his first point, the one which should be the main one, is simply wrong, and that arouses my suspicion.
Are you saying he's suspicious because he made a wrong statement? Also, it kinda looks like you OMGUSed Orangebottle too, but he didn't call you out for it.

Mormota, it was indeed a justifiable claim. And even if you don't consider it a justifiable claim, that's no reason to OMGUS. And those reasons I brought up "later on" were just me repeating what I had earlier said.

Noone called you an idiot for being aggressive, that's just an excuse to avoid scumhunting. I've been cornered and about to be mislynched before, indeed, in both of my previous Beginner's mafia games. Yet I still tried to scumhunt. Failingly, yes, but I tried. There is no excuse for not scumhunting, no excuse for being passive. Combine that with the OMGUS and it's very scummy. So let me ask, why did you OMGUS me? I won't be quiet on it. It's suspicious, and I'll press you on it whether you like it or not. And acting confused doesn't change that, because I have a feeling you know perfectly well the reasons, considering everyone repeated them over and over.
Can you list your reasons apart from the recent OMGUS for again?

My participation for the latter half of D1 left much to be desired, besides the absence of a vote. There were things that needed doing even after I was finished at my job, and Mafia was not on that list. I was prevented from playing this evening up until recently due to a power outage, and now that I have electricity again, I will make an attempt at a worthwhile post.
I don't understand this part, especially the 'besides the absence of a vote'
Essentially, I was gone for a majority of the day. I do not enjoy that fact, but it is reason enough and more for not voting.
So you're saying you didn't vote because you didn't play for most of day 1?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2011, 11:10:53 pm »

*sigh*
Fine. Unvote.
zombie urist, you've borrowed too many other people's reasons for your votes. It makes me think you don't have any real suspicions of your own.
School is starting and I'm already spending less time on this game. Additionally, if this game somehow lasts more than another week, I probably will need a replace.
That being said, I'm honestly still not completely sure what to look for in posts to find scummy behavior.

Those are excuses, not answers. Why do you keep borrowing other people's votes and reasons?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2011, 11:14:31 pm »

*sigh*
Fine. Unvote.
Those are excuses, not answers. Why do you keep borrowing other people's votes and reasons?
Either I miss that someone else has posted the same reason or I think my reason is different enough to be worth saying. I don't see how I'm borrowing votes though.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2011, 01:31:19 am »

Mostly I'm thinking of here and here. In the first post you call backtobasesix out for lurking just after IronyOwl does it. In the second you vote billybobfred, but you only vote him for only answering questions and not . The vote didn't make much sense since I was busy trying to get answers out of billybobfred, and since I am an aged bloodhound it's to be expected that he'll be answering a lot of questions.

In other words, I expected a deeper case on billybobfred (now Powder Miner) than what you presented with your vote, which leads me to believe you only voted him and followed along because I voted him, since you did something similar earlier in the game.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2011, 04:03:44 am »

It's suspicious, and I'll press you on it whether you like it or not. And acting confused doesn't change that, because I have a feeling you know perfectly well the reasons, considering everyone repeated them over and over.

I have already told you my reasons, and I will tell you again: The initial reason you had for finding me "suspicious" were ones that I'm reluctant to accept as a clearly thought-out one. I am not OMGUSing, I am not voting you because you are voting me. I am voting you because I find your initial attack suspicious and not very well thought-out.

Quote from: zombie urist
Are you saying he's suspicious because he made a wrong statement? Also, it kinda looks like you OMGUSed Orangebottle too, but he didn't call you out for it.

Not entirely, no. I'm saying I find him suspicious because initially, his attack on me was hardly justifiable, but after being called out on it, he immediately presented a new explanation, ignoring the part of my suspicions where I tell him that his initial attack was non-sense in my opinion. Also, just how did I OMGUS Orangebottle? He never even voted for me, he jsut asked me a question. You should pay more attention. I am not going to jump on the bandwagon against you, but please do pay more attention, people may find it scummy.

Quote from: Jim Groovester
Helpful stuff

I appreciate your help, even if it doesn't seem like it. Thank you.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2011, 09:39:31 am »

Mormota, making excuses for an OMGUS- after the fact- doesn't make it any less scummy.
Also, zombie urist, He was pulling out from voting whenever it was questioned, and further refused to scumhunt, so I started questioning him, adding in an FoS I finally voted when he went crazy and OMGUSed me, despite the fact that he denies he did.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:45 am »

I am not crazy enough to deny facts - unlike you.

Quote from: Me
Powder Miner seemed to jump on me with some rather strange reason, especially considering he said I was stating that scumhunting is not aggressive, which is simply not true. After that, he seems to provide a fairly beliavable explanation, but his first point, the one which should be the main one, is simply wrong, and that arouses my suspicion.

I did not OMGUS you, quit saying I did. I provided a reason for it - one that I have voiced in nearly all of my posts since then, but you kept plain ignoring it. Tell me, how is that not scummy?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:58 pm »

Not entirely, no. I'm saying I find him suspicious because initially, his attack on me was hardly justifiable, but after being called out on it, he immediately presented a new explanation, ignoring the part of my suspicions where I tell him that his initial attack was non-sense in my opinion. Also, just how did I OMGUS Orangebottle? He never even voted for me, he jsut asked me a question. You should pay more attention. I am not going to jump on the bandwagon against you, but please do pay more attention, people may find it scummy.
You seem to be suspicious of anyone who asks you a question. First orangebottle, then powder miner, and now me.

Also, zombie urist, He was pulling out from voting whenever it was questioned, and further refused to scumhunt, so I started questioning him, adding in an FoS I finally voted when he went crazy and OMGUSed me, despite the fact that he denies he did.
What do you mean by 'it'?

Mostly I'm thinking of here and here. In the first post you call backtobasesix out for lurking just after IronyOwl does it. In the second you vote billybobfred, but you only vote him for only answering questions and not . The vote didn't make much sense since I was busy trying to get answers out of billybobfred, and since I am an aged bloodhound it's to be expected that he'll be answering a lot of questions.

In other words, I expected a deeper case on billybobfred (now Powder Miner) than what you presented with your vote, which leads me to believe you only voted him and followed along because I voted him, since you did something similar earlier in the game.
I thought that IronyOwl's post to basesix meant that he should start playing ie posting. I asked him a question as to why he wasn't really asking questions and looking for scum. As to the second post, I knew that he was going to answer questions, but I also expected him to ask questions of his own.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »

You seem to be suspicious of anyone who asks you a question. First orangebottle, then powder miner, and now me.

I'm not suspicious because you asked me a question. I'm not even suspicious. I just noted that you weren't paying attention to something you commented on, and people who already find you suspicious will find you even more so now. I myself think you simply remembered wrong.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »

Ohhhh, speaking of ignoring things, YOU continued to ignore me the three or so times  I posted my reasoning and continued to go on with your charade, which is so obviously broken through at first sight, t's not even funny. Tell me THAT'S not scummy. Scum.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »

Also, zombie urist, it is his vote.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25