Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVI - Scum Win!  (Read 62870 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 1 - Hazards of the Trench
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »

So why was drudging up all his posts necessary then? (It wasn't. Focus on the strongest pieces of evidence etc. etc.)
How is answering questions with simple reasoning or answers a crime?

It's not. You're suspecting him for terrible reasons.
But they were clearly rhetorical questions, as evidenced by the fact that you immediately answered them yourself.

Should I answer them anyway? (this question is not rhetorical, I ask it because your actions are confusing me on this point)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

So you're just going to let me get away with saying you reasons for voting him are terrible?

Okay, cool. If you're just going to passively admit it then I don't have any reason to change my vote.

The parenthetical note was a piece of advice. I still want your answer on the question, not mine.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile

Look, if I want to argue that he has never done anything useful, is it really a good idea to only point to one post? You seem to think the answer is "yes". Why?

You want me to explain why I call zombie's posts scummy? All right, I'll point to The One Big Example, since you seem to prefer that.
zombie urist, if you were scum, would deliberately let yourself get killed if it meant that your buddy was likely to go one and win?
Probably. It really depends on who my partner was and how skillful he is. I don't know how I can "deliberately let" myself get lynched without doing something really stupid.
He basically said "maybe, depending on everything". So tell me, in what way is that not scummy?

Also, I did ask you a question. You gonna answer it or should I just assume this whole thing has been a scum ruse?
The question is, basically, "Why did you do this thing that you explained while you were doing it?" Why is that not a shitty question? If you wanted to claim his questions weren't shitty, that's probably the single worst one to point to -- why did you choose that one?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile

Blah post

I knew, I knew, I FUCKING knew it!  I knew I would be NKed, dammit!  Oh, I am gonna write so much emo poetry in Dead Chat about how you guys didn't understand me, and how unfair it is, you don't even know.

Seriously you guys, I called it.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2011, 11:19:14 pm »

Rereading a third time, I have a couple more questions.

unvote.
ed boy You seem to be asking a lot of questions, but don't seem to be following up on most of the questions you asked.

Your reasons for your vote on ed boy are very sparse. Elaborate, Zombie.

Flandre. Where are you? It's been a few days since your last post.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Look, if I want to argue that he has never done anything useful, is it really a good idea to only point to one post? You seem to think the answer is "yes". Why?

Because I'm an IC.

You're also misrepresenting what I said. You can point to one post, and say, "This is his best post," and if it's completely lackluster then you've basically proven he hasn't done anything useful. That would be an effective way to present your argument. Listing every single post with a brief summary is not.

He basically said "maybe, depending on everything". So tell me, in what way is that not scummy?

There's nothing exceptionally scummy about that reply. It's not informative, but it's also not incriminating.

If he were more experienced I would give him shit for waffling around and not committing to any strong answer, but for a player who has no clue what he's doing it's fine.

Also, I did ask you a question. You gonna answer it or should I just assume this whole thing has been a scum ruse?

Ha.

First: Technically that's one question, singular, though since I missed that fact first I won't blame you for repeating my mistake.
Second: The question is, basically, "Why did you do this thing that you explained while you were doing it?" Why is that not a shitty question? If you wanted to claim his questions weren't shitty, that's probably the single worst one to point to -- why did you choose that one?

Because zombie urist is questioning Orangebottle about a contradiction in what Orangebottle said right there versus what he said elsewhere. Orangebottle said earlier he asked a question to gauge a reaction (a question he knew wouldn't have an exotic answer), and then later, said asking questions you knew the answers to was pointless.

It's not shitty at all. It's fairly insightful.

You still haven't answered all of my questions. You've gotten angrier and snippier but you're still not being forthcoming.

To repeat: How is answering questions with simple reasoning and answers a crime?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I've been keeping up to date with Flandre's activity, and she hasn't been able to post much in any of her games due to real life commitments, so I'll send her a reminded, but wait a little longer before I go to prod.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 2 - Stains of blood
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2011, 03:32:42 am »

Hello Moroma, do you have any way to explain your predecessor's lurkiness?

Also: I have reread the thread and found little to nothing to go on that hasn't already been said. I'll give it another go.

I have no idea who you're talking to.

Jim Groovester, you seem to be awfully intent on proving your point. Perhaps there is more to that than simple stuborness?
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Your first mistake is that you assume that the player who is aggressive is scummy.

Quite literally, that is your first mistake.

I take it you haven't read through the thread or haven't paid too much attention to what your ICs (i.e., me) have to say, because if you had been paying attention you might've seen this little kernel of wisdom:

Players are generally considered town when they aggressively pursue their own lines of questioning on other players and attempt to get answers to their own questions.

Aggression is not a scumtell.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

I do indeed have read the thread. But I also know you are an experienced player. What better way to hide that you are scum than act exactly like a townie? You may even achieve a mislynch. I still find you suspicious.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 2 - Stains of blood
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2011, 07:50:50 am »

Hello Mormota, do you have any way to explain your predecessor's lurkiness?

Also: I have reread the thread and found little to nothing to go on that hasn't already been said. I'll give it another go.

I have no idea who you're talking to.

Jim Groovester, you seem to be awfully intent on proving your point. Perhaps there is more to that than simple stuborness?
You're the only person in this thread whose name starts with an m. Sorry for butchering it, but you should answer the question.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile

I'm quite uncertain what you meant by the question, that's why I avoided it. I do not actually know why he was not playing, I don't know him. At all. But I think I can see why you asked it. Perhaps you're wondering if he had a role, Orangebottle? Perhaps you are wondering if I'm the doctor, to give you, one of the mafia, a fine target?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2011, 11:47:45 am »

Flandre. Where are you? It's been a few days since your last post.
I am right here. I am about to deal with Witches' Coven (the day in that thread ends this evening), and then I will join you guys. Hopefully there will not be a power outage in our area to disrupt that.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I spoke too soon. I do not think powerline workers will be put and about until the hurricane subsides, so now I play the waiting game.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I do indeed have read the thread. But I also know you are an experienced player. What better way to hide that you are scum than act exactly like a townie? You may even achieve a mislynch. I still find you suspicious.

This is exactly the 'too townie' fallacy.

If a player is active, engaged, doing lots of scumhunting, asking lots of questions, and generally doing lots of town things, it's probably because he's town. Suspecting people because they look 'too town' is horrible play and a terrible idea.

I'm quite uncertain what you meant by the question, that's why I avoided it. I do not actually know why he was not playing, I don't know him. At all. But I think I can see why you asked it. Perhaps you're wondering if he had a role, Orangebottle? Perhaps you are wondering if I'm the doctor, to give you, one of the mafia, a fine target?

What's your reason for thinking Orangebottle was rolefishing by asking you that question?

I don't know what it is but I have a feeling it makes no sense. You're reading too much into things; generally you should be taking what people say at face value, examining what they say, and then making judgments about whether or not you believe it.

Don't look at people and assign them completely invented motives, like what you're doing here now.

zombie urist and IronyOwl need to get in here.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25