Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Age of Empires: Any other players?  (Read 3164 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Empires: Any other players?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »

What? Age of Empires is one of the most popular RTS games ever made!

I had the second one for PS2... I think I missed out.
[Signature]

Cpt.tazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 02:06:31 pm »

i still play age of empires 1 with friends sometimes, its a really well made game
Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where you aren't hallucinating.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »

Microsoft brought out AoE: Online. It seems like AoE except with free-to-pay-to-win

I'm downloading it, but it doesn't seem too promising.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:55 pm »

Got AoE 1/2/2:Conquerors/AoM/AoM:Titans.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:48:41 pm »

Anyways, are there any other people who have/play AoE I, II, or III???
This is such a weird question. Are there people who own PCs yet haven't played these games? Aren't they, or at least close to the most popular RTS games ever?
I still play Age of Empires II every now and again, I lost the discs ages ago so it will never be removed from my C Drive! I miss whale hunting from the first game though, that was cool. My friend always played the British with their longbowmen and I usually played the Aztecs because they're cool. I never won. :(

Never played the third one. I bought Age of Mythology when it came out, but it didn't really click with me.
Is Empire Earth of the same series? I never figured that one out.

No, Empire Earth was one of the few good non-pointandclick adventure games to come out of Sierra Entertainment before it's demise in the vivendi/activision merger. It was the true AOEIII in my heart though.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 04:01:57 pm »

Ditto. I loved fielding armies of nuclear bombers in EE and dropping them on my prehistoric opponents ;)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »

used to play it fine, but now all of a sudden, when i play, everything turns pixelated, and colored wrong, for example, pink and purple water, red and yellow grass, etc

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 04:32:28 pm »

Cheese steak jimmy's

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »

used to play it fine, but now all of a sudden, when i play, everything turns pixelated, and colored wrong, for example, pink and purple water, red and yellow grass, etc
Ya'gotta minimize a thousand times and it will go away.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 06:27:05 pm »

Hey! I actually liked that intro movie! Thoug it did get old after like the third time seeing it.

And, I do agree a little about being Americanized and such, and did you SEE that American army?!?!? I thought, "HOLY S***!!!!! The U.S. did NOT have an army that organized OR massive!!!". The thing I really liked is the addition of Native American tribes. The manual said that 'You essentially play as two civilizations' once you build a trading post on a tribe camp.

I used those tribes to my advantage. I fielded squads of Lakota Axe Riders, Seminole Sharktooth Bowmen and Cherokee Riflemen to scout out enemy territory and hold up an incoming attack while my main force came up to reinforce the Natives.

I mean for AoE: Online. The newest game that's been called a mix between a Facebook game and an MMO. As far as I know, it has ancient civs, not Americans or Native Americans.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

I've heard that Microsoft came out with an Age of Empires IV. I've seen the trailer on YouTube and it looked as though the possible ages are the World War age, the Vietnam Age, the Afghanistan War age, and the Nuclear age (going from WWs I and II, to the Vietnam and Korean Wars, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and a hypothetical assumption about when Weapons of Mass Destruction (i.e. nuclear missiles and bombs) were the chief weapons during wartimes).

This is just from what I've seen from the video. I'm going to have to get the game, though I don't know where to get it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:55 pm »

Not as far as I know. They did plan on releasing IV and V, but they cancelled the series before they were done.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 07:47:24 pm »

I'll assume that it's either a fan-made trailer or an abandoned project.

I have a lot of doubts that microsoft would bother to fund such a massive game when they can just dismember old nostalgia game, slap in some Games For Windows Live and generally screw evcerything up. Not to mention the classice rts don't sell too well on the consoles.

As for the concept I'm not too sold on it either. Modern era can be a very hard to get right. It either looks very cartoony like Red Alert or Empire Earth with units standing in a massive clump shooting without cover or something like Company of Heros with releastic damage and cover.
The problem being that they're hard to combine, CoH got very fiddly when you had a large army since most of them would get mowed down because you weren't looking and the cartoony "rushing" games just seem really out of place (you can't really justify hgolding your ground when theres fully automatic machine guns).

Of course I wouldn't mind playing through some of those campaigns. Though I'm betting it would just boil down to "America's Greatest Victories of the 20th Century" as always.
I really enjoyed the games who let you play the other guys. Empire Earth's 20thC German Campaign was great, unlike the expansion's crappy Pacific War Campagin (No Kokoda??? Or any mention of any troops from outside of America?? oh you guys.)
Seriosuly give me a decent game about Belgium at the start of WW1 or the Vietcong and I'd be a happy man.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

I'm always up for playing some AoE II. And I come bearing gifts.

Have you ever wanted to play the game windowed? Well, now you can.

It really does work.

Spoiler: Proof (click to show/hide)

NOTE: This will not work when launched from Steam. Even if it would, the SteamUI overlay won't work. I already tested it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:04:48 pm by Itnetlolor »

slashie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:45 pm »

I liked the whole series and Empire Earth as well... AoE 2 + TC was the best in my opinion... clean visuals, nice history details and pretty balanced AFAIR (Except for the Paladins).

I even bought a video card to play AoE III, but for some reason it didn't grow on me as AoE II did... IIRC the whole colonial thing (with things being sent from Europe), broke the game...

I should play again some time soon
Pages: 1 [2] 3