Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Age of Empires: Any other players?  (Read 3174 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Empires: Any other players?
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:14:20 am »

I have an RTS game called Age of Empires (often shortened to AoE) for my dad's Netbook. I first used AoE I, but the hard-drive crashed about a week after the new year of '11. So my dad got a new HD and I downloaded AoE II as well (I got the so-called Collector's Edition).

Later on, I found an Age of Empires III. My dad bought it and I played it for a few months. The thing that sucked is that when I use a map with massive amounts of water (take the Great Lakes setting), my computer ran freakishly slow. I was unable to move my army of Redcoat Musketeers and Field Guns to defend my town, while my enemies blasted straight through my walls with their cavalry and Culverins, and, in the extreme case of the Ottoman Turks, their feared Great Bombards...

Anyways, are there any other people who have/play AoE I, II, or III???

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Age of Empires: Any other players?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:15 am »

Yup, you betcha.
I got nothing

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:02 am »

I remember playing II way back when, I don't remember a thing about it though.

I liked III, it was pretty good.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:26:55 am »

I used to play Age of Empires 2 back in the age of Zone and dialup internet.
While others were out experiencing the world, I was conquering it.

I still play it today and I still have fun with it. I once had a game against all my room mates and some of their girlfriends. 5 versus 1 and I still managed to beat them in under 10 minutes. Goths are over powered.   :D

Wasn't too much into the third though. From memory I used to play as the Russians (?) and I could summon in hordes of units from the home country. Made everything a bit easy.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:53 am »

The last multiplayer game I remember playing somebody had made a map which was 8 teams, each with 3 fortresses and a nice set of walls each on a giant island. The fortresses were rigged to pump out special units, I was Japan so I got the samurai. 3 of my enemies (there were 4 teams in the battle ::)) had elephants, needless to say I never ran over any enemy teams. I did hold my ground, surprisingly.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:31:54 am »

Man I've just gotten back into II. I love those Turks. And Byzantines.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:47 am »

Oh, yes. I loved the first two, was a bit mehed at the third, but that's probably cause I had stopped playing much of the genre by that time.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:53:56 am »

What about Age of Empires Online? It's free, and I'm downloading it right now. It's taking a donkey's age though. >_<

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:00:03 am »

AoE Online doesn't work for my netbook. If AoE runs horribly slow on this already, AoE Online's gonna run even slower, and I'm not gonna be able to hurl out even one clubman, militia, or Musketeer.

But otherwise, ever since DF sucked me in, I almost forgot about AoE. I have all three installments, including their expansion packs (not for III, though). The game is pretty awesome.

I used to play as the Russians (?) and I could summon in hordes of units from the home country. Made everything a bit easy.
I like playing as the British because of their unique artillery piece, the Congreve Rocket. I also like their upgrades to the Musketeer. I used to use a massive army of the two, with my Musketeers making up the main force and going in firing huge, devastating volleys, with 10 or 12 rockets taking up the rear to deal with any artillery. I occasionally also used their Hussars. They charged the enemy strike force with their fast mounts. I used them primarily to defend my riflemen, though, and to take out every artillery piece's worst nightmare. The Culverin.

Speaking of which, during a battle, somebody was actually picking off one of my wall sections with a singe culverin. I later sent out a force of about 30 or 40 Musketeers and 10 rockets to deal with it. Overkill to some, but I guess I had a little bit of DF in me before I even got it.

I don't know why, but in AoE I, I liked playing as the Sumerians. They didn't have access to every bit of technology in that time setting, but I guess it was because I just finished learning about them in Social Studies (i.e. history) at the time.

In Aoe II, my favorite civilization was the Celts and the Persians. I liked the Celts because of their fast and powerful Woad Raider. Not very heavily armored, but weakness is superseded by numbers. I made about 40 or 50 at one time, and they were AWESOME. They were cut down by enemy monks and hand-cannoneers, though.

The Persians were cool. They didn't have access to either the hand or bombard cannons in the normal game, but they did in the Conquerer's Expansion (oddly enough), so I used that to my advantage. When I was able to, I fielded a massive army of hand-cannoneer and bombard cannons to literally mow down my enemies. It got annoying to find out that some of my enemies had bombard towers. They were the tougher ones, but I managed to breach their defenses and continue eradicating them.

Any more guys (and gals) out there who play AoE???

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:18 am »

Before Dawn of War came along, the Age of Empires series was /the/ RTS series. Assuming that you, of course, ignore Starcraft. Or possibly Blizzard altogether. I practically grew up on the Age series (mythology included) as a younger gamer.

There's also Age of Mythology by them, which I think is hit-or-miss for most people, but I really enjoyed it.

AoE:Online looks like an abomination. I favored the AoE series for historical accuracy (as far as I know) and providing facts from the time periods. If the intro cinematic is any indication for this new 'Age of Empires', I am not a happy camper. Everything is Americanized and dumbed down for the masses.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:57 am »

Hey! I actually liked that intro movie! Thoug it did get old after like the third time seeing it.

And, I do agree a little about being Americanized and such, and did you SEE that American army?!?!? I thought, "HOLY S***!!!!! The U.S. did NOT have an army that organized OR massive!!!". The thing I really liked is the addition of Native American tribes. The manual said that 'You essentially play as two civilizations' once you build a trading post on a tribe camp.

I used those tribes to my advantage. I fielded squads of Lakota Axe Riders, Seminole Sharktooth Bowmen and Cherokee Riflemen to scout out enemy territory and hold up an incoming attack while my main force came up to reinforce the Natives.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:02:41 am »

AOE I was my first RTS I played lot's of, and AOE II was the first game I played online with any regularity. I remeber the ZONE infastructure well. Those were the good ol' days. Everyone was friendly, even if I made a dumb mistake, my teammates would be kind about it and help. No curesing, yelling, or taunting. Except the amusing voice commands.

In summary: "All hail, king of the losers!"

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:13:52 am »

I did used to find that due to a quirk with marketplaces you could end up with upsettingly large numbers of spearmen and ballistae... (if my memory serves me correct, they need wood and gold to make, so selling surplus stone and food once you are walled in and max built to the popcap was the norm)

I even remember my old Zone handle - BacterialMoth... god I loved the fact it would generate one for me...
This is a blank sig.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:19:28 pm »

In summary: "All hail, king of the losers!"
God I loved those taunts. "Wololo!"
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:40 pm »

This is such a weird question. Are there people who own PCs yet haven't played these games? Aren't they, or at least close to the most popular RTS games ever?
I still play Age of Empires II every now and again, I lost the discs ages ago so it will never be removed from my C Drive! I miss whale hunting from the first game though, that was cool. My friend always played the British with their longbowmen and I usually played the Aztecs because they're cool. I never won. :(

Never played the third one. I bought Age of Mythology when it came out, but it didn't really click with me.
Is Empire Earth of the same series? I never figured that one out.
Pages: [1] 2 3