Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Darwin's Island [Before the Dawn of Time]  (Read 17320 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Darwin's Island [Before the Dawn of Time]
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 01:04:21 am »

All change is bad
In an evolution game, this opinion is pure madness.

Implying that all organisms must have a membrane in a world with intelligent bacteria?
Definition of life imply a separation from the outer world.

Being in an organism is not that bad, as long as we're not into the stomach-or-whatever.
Eat one carefully, if poisonnous eject the poison or coat our membrane with it. then if not poisonous eat them all, evolve to swim faster in dark ooze, then divide. that our fellow cells do not obey us is not a problem, for me at least.
This
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 01:34:06 am »

Definition of life imply a separation from the outer world.
Conventional definition of life
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:17 am »

well, if you are not separated from the outer world, all your organites and proteins will dispersate all over the ooze, or wherever you live. Useful molecules will fly away and you're exposed to every poison. An organism without membrane could be imagined, but in this world it will die quickly.
What the hell happen to a cell wich you pierce its membrane, hey?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 01:51:09 am »

Cautiously interact with the green organisms.  If they are passive and poisonous, leave them alone, or try to extract the poison and incorporate it into your body.  If they are not poisonous, just eat them. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 02:12:18 am »

well, if you are not separated from the outer world, all your organites and proteins will dispersate all over the ooze, or wherever you live. Useful molecules will fly away and you're exposed to every poison. An organism without membrane could be imagined, but in this world it will die quickly.
What the hell happen to a cell wich you pierce its membrane, hey?

I agree that a membrane-less organism is impossible on Earth, but it is theoretically possible in some situations, such as if the organism is so massive as to be held together by its own gravitational field.
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 02:25:07 am »

O_o ok, this might be possible.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:39 am »

Being in an organism is not that bad, as long as we're not into the stomach-or-whatever.
Eat one carefully, if poisonnous eject the poison or coat our membrane with it. then if not poisonous eat them all, evolve to swim faster in dark ooze, then divide. that our fellow cells do not obey us is not a problem, for me at least.
We look big enough to engulf a large majority of the odd cells (as long as they're passive). I agree that we should see if they're poisonous first though. If we go the awesome parasite eat-it-from-inside route, we would need to develop immunity to acid so we could survive in something's stomach. After we evolve some more, we should develop a way of making large amounts of ourselves using other cell's facilities. Then we can invade a multicellular organism and infest it.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:08 am »

agree. now all we need is UPDATE.
Maybe we should create an OOC topic on wich we could discuss long-term projects.
Full Sig

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 10:07:29 am »

agree. now all we need is UPDATE.
Maybe we should create an OOC topic on wich we could discuss long-term projects.

You do that, then you PM all of us so that we can know about it. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 11:11:27 am »

posting to watch (and maybe participate at the next update)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 12:59:36 pm »

Turn 8

You approach one, and attempt to devour it, but as you are nearing, it seems to rapidly divide itself...

And more...

Finally, though, the cells stopped dividing. Perhaps a lack of materials?

In an attempt to test if it's poisonous/corrosive, you attempt to eat one.

Nothing exactly harmful. Should we assimilate the materials, perhaps DNA for multiplying?

What now?

Spoiler: Current Status (click to show/hide)

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 02:15:26 pm »

The green things are chloroplasts!
Keep them inside the cell.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 02:18:35 pm »

The green things are chloroplasts!
Sounds reasonable. Lets absorb as many as possible and store them in the walls of our cell. We should be able to pad our cell walls quite a bit while providing a large amount of energy. If they really do divide this fast, we should go after the big ones and try to catch as many as possible when they duplicate. After we completely fill the space between the cell wall and membrane, continue catching others to break them down for materials. We want to increase our abilities and power.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:02 pm »

let's try and absorb their capacity of splitting! so we can reach the pluricellular stage!
and the green colour.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:22 pm »

Catch them all (Gotta catch em all...)
Then do this
let's try and absorb their capacity of splitting! so we can reach the pluricellular stage!
and the green colour.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8