Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 36044 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 08:20:45 am »

Peasant knives are actually pretty crazy. If you look in the raws you'll see that the various kinds of knives they start with have stab attacks with penetration areas of 2 to 4. This is compared to 20 for spears and pikes. When you consider that peasants have weapons that are five to ten times as sharp as spearmen and pikemen, it makes a lot of sense that they tend to be the most badass of your companions.
There's a reason why I ban knives in my worldgens (and thus, make thieves unarmed in fort mode). Knives are one of the most lethal weapons in DF.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 08:21:50 am »

With a clear shot, you can chip just about every bone in the enemy's body using a simple knife. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:22 pm »

When I'm fighting more than one sentient enemy my first move is to kick the feet, a solid blow shatters the bone and puts them down. After that I can either unleash a flurry of face punching before his buddies close with me or take a few step back and deal with the others. 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »

ULTIMATE ASSASSINATION!!!!!!!!!! I could decide to wage war on another civ (other than my own!), wait till nightfall, go into the keep, sneak past the guards in the towers and the sleeping people in the keep, go up to the flashing purple guy, wrestle his knife out of his hand, stab or slash his throat with his own knife, and repeat with the sleeping soldiers and peasants. Then I could shoot the soldiers standing outside by morning, then stab their heads open. 'But what if soldiers in the towers come down to challenge you?' one may ask. I'll strange him till he passes out and stab his head open. 'And what if there are archers in the towers shooting at you?' Well, then, it's probably time to get the BLOODY HELL OUTTA THERE!!!
Not only is that possible I've done it many time. I usually take the knives from sleeping villagers and cut their throats with them.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 10:35:25 pm »

I usually just kick the head and bite the smaller parts if my weapon gets stuck, a solid kick to the head can kill most anything.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 11:08:44 pm »

I do it from time to time.
Usually when I'm in Imagination Defcon 5
*Defcon 1, defcon 5 = peace.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

acepie413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:30 pm »

I train my throwing on unconcious peasants that I just strangled.
I throw rocks at them, sand, knives... and the BODIES OF THEIR INNOCENT FRIENDS
Once they die, I gather their weapon, all the knives and all the BODIES.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2011, 08:25:09 am »

When I'm fighting more than one sentient enemy my first move is to kick the feet, a solid blow shatters the bone and puts them down. After that I can either unleash a flurry of face punching before his buddies close with me or take a few step back and deal with the others.
Yep, pretty much my Tactic :)
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2011, 11:17:09 am »

I train my throwing on unconcious peasants that I just strangled.
I throw rocks at them, sand, knives... and the BODIES OF THEIR INNOCENT FRIENDS
Once they die, I gather their weapon, all the knives and all the BODIES.
Pile their corpses and their clothing on a shrub or next to a tree and set the tree/shrub ablaze. That'll keep the smell of their rotting bodies from stinkin' up the whole town.

And can we PLEASE go for 20 or so posts without talking about murdering innocent people and hurling their corpses at other peasants!?!?!? How would you like it if a peasant came up to you, killed you and threw your corpse at your unconsious friends??? Huh????? HUH?????????? HUH???????????????

Sorry. I get angered real easy.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:02 am »

Pile their corpses and their clothing on a shrub or next to a tree and set the tree/shrub ablaze. That'll keep the smell of their rotting bodies from stinkin' up the whole town.

And can we PLEASE go for 20 or so posts without talking about murdering innocent people and hurling their corpses at other peasants!?!?!? How would you like it if a peasant came up to you, killed you and threw your corpse at your unconsious friends??? Huh????? HUH?????????? HUH???????????????

Wow I've never thought about it like that, that sounds horrible! I'm gonna kill those bastards before they have the chance to kill me and throw my corpse at someone!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 11:44:44 am »

Wow I've never thought about it like that, that sounds horrible! I'm gonna kill those bastards before they have the chance to kill me and throw my corpse at someone!
I didn't mean it like that... *mumbles*

Urist McHuman cancels Post Reply: Went berserk
Urist McHuman has gone berserk!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 12:21:09 pm »

??? Are you saying we should be more proactive? I mean we could shatter all the childrens hands and feet then rip out their teeth so they aren't a threat but that would take a huge commitment.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »

??? Are you saying we should be more proactive? I mean we could shatter all the childrens hands and feet then rip out their teeth so they aren't a threat but that would take a huge commitment.
No, not.

RIP THEIR EYES OUT.
BREAK THEIR FEET.
AND LEAVE THE PATHETIC WRETCHES TO ROT.
BURN THE WOMEN.
FIGHT THE MEN.

PRAISE THE GOD OF BLOOD!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:34 pm »

No, not.

RIP THEIR EYES OUT.
BREAK THEIR FEET.
AND LEAVE THE PATHETIC WRETCHES TO ROT.
BURN THE WOMEN.
FIGHT THE MEN.

PRAISE THE GOD OF BLOOD!

Steal their knives and hurl them at enemies THAT ARE NOT CHILDREN OR PEASANTS!!!!!

Praise the God of Blood in combat. Bonus points if you find a volcano and hurl the corpses of vanquished (NON PEASANT OR CHILD) enemies into the lava.

And can we go 20 or so posts from here on out without talking about murdering innocent townspeople, children or elves?????

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2011, 11:02:58 pm »

Elves are never innocent.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17