Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you use Unarmed Fighting - This can be Wrestling, Striking, a Blend...

Yes, Always
- 55 (15.8%)
Yes, Sometimes
- 194 (55.7%)
Yes, But Only If I Need To
- 43 (12.4%)
No, I Prefer Weaponry
- 50 (14.4%)
Other
- 6 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 348

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?  (Read 36019 times)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unarmed Combat - How Many People Here Use It?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »

1) find monkey.
2) keep biting monkey's tail until satisfied with current level of biting.
Hehe... I imagined that biting a monkey's tail scenario with a dwarf hanging from a monkey on a tree.... That's just badass.
I usually use combinations too, especially attacks of opportunity, depending on my weapon. I won't kick someone's arm when I can bash their heads in with a silver maul, but obviously, adventure mode is about using the most insane ways you can to kill your enemy. Be it by throwing his own sword after him, or biting through her brain... or picking up a handful of sand to batter people with.
I guess the last one would go to other, right? I mean, it's not a weapon and it's not unarmed.
Also, punching someone in the most insane of places always makes for epic (and surprisingly debilitating) attacks. Think punching someone's thumb, right hand, causing extreme pain and knocking him out.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Lycus

• Bay Watcher
  • Death is just another form of winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 01:55:40 pm »

Unarmed is the combat type I use most, and not throwing either. Nothing is quite as satisfying as punching night creatures in the face. Wrestling is fun, but loses much use on the bigger creatures.
Whilst I may not be the most successful Adventurer, I have a lot of fun dying.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:50:37 pm »

Lately I've been using wrestling exclusively. Though my only problem is fighting Bronze Colossi. Can't seem to get a grip on em.

Wonder how I would go about modding the game to play as a Bronze Colossus...

That huge thing on the right, that's a bronze colossus.  Those little things on the left running away, that's you.  Maybe you could grasp a toe or something...

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 11:22:00 pm »

Lately I've been using wrestling exclusively. Though my only problem is fighting Bronze Colossi. Can't seem to get a grip on em.

Wonder how I would go about modding the game to play as a Bronze Colossus...

That huge thing on the right, that's a bronze colossus.  Those little things on the left running away, that's you.  Maybe you could grasp a toe or something...
*Grab Chest*
*Throw*
*Splat*

Just like grabbing a Mouse by the Tail, then throwing it off a Cliff!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:01 pm »

If my enemy is sufficiently dangerous (i.e. a hammerman wielding a silver maul), I tend to grab his weapon arm and break it.

If he is a generic enemy, I tend to strangle him till he passes out, and then I stab him in the head.

If I am playing as a bowman ninja, I shoot him, he gives in to pain, I walk up, pull out my starting dagger, and stab his head.

If I play as an outsider, I hurl my spear at my enemy and come up close and personal with my dagger. If I get two knives or daggers, I stab with them, ninja sai style (one knife gets stuck in a wound, I stab with the other, it gets stuck, I pull the first knife out and stab him with it again, and I repeat until he dies). Keep in mind that I can't get a backpack as an outsider, and have to rely heavily on what I can scrounge up. With the spear, and I get two knives, I ditch my spear.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 12:42:12 am »

Wrestling and biting, and if I'm feeling sadistic, knife. Pin my opponent, bite as many parts off as possible.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Kay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 03:27:48 am »

Where do you people find animals to train this stuff up? In the recent versions, I'm lucky if I ever see a single groundhog.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 03:28:43 am »

I don't train on animals, I train on unconscious peasants. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 03:40:16 am »

Where do you people find animals to train this stuff up? In the recent versions, I'm lucky if I ever see a single groundhog.

Generally I fast travel into the middle of any nearby forest, and start wandering slowly back towards civilization. Generally you find a fox, or a turkey, or something. Foxes are great training dummies, they can't ever really seem to damage you. Avoid buzzards like the plague. My usual tactic of lay down and let it beat on me 3x faster got me killed when it knocked me unconcious and then spent 500+ turns shaking me about by the head.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 10:39:32 am »

In the older worlds fortresses are often abandoned and housing animals who can't escape. I just keep checking them out until I find some.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 11:27:25 am »

In the older worlds fortresses are often abandoned and housing animals who can't escape. I just keep checking them out until I find some.
This, right here. Monkeys work best if you have a shield and armour to block their scratches. Bit their tails all day long, they don't ever die. Then toss them around by their tails for wrestling. They're resilient like that. Don't fight the horses, though. Stupid horses.

EDIT: in my current world I keep hearing about bandits being killed by now-named horses. I've accidentally wiped out bandits by driving horses towards them, the whole camp wiped out before I've even seen them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:50:50 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 11:36:30 am »

I train during combat. I train ranged combat while hunting wildlife.

It would not be wrong to call their drills bloodless battles and their battles bloody drills
I got this from a book about the Roman Legionary.

My extreme combat training will be in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
against
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »

Peasants are animals, nothing more!
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 03:16:16 pm »

I thought you don't get experience when fighting unconscious people? I never seem to anyway.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:17 pm »

Peasants are animals, nothing more!
No. They are not.
THEY ARE VERMIN.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17