Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 287263 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #8595 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:58 am »

Wasn't Laythe in her tent and wasn't she supposed to leave ordering to me? Because if Taricus is willing to go with the batshit crazy queen then I am first in line to kill her. Otherwise Terenos has only 4 units per turn and we have 10 entrenched ones. I don't mind offensive reduction to represent that, but Terenos should not be able to deploy everyone at once.

And for the final statement: if Laythe's decision stands, I will be putting her in front of court martial. If I am allowed to put forward battle plan then she gets boot to the head and a ban from interfering in army.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: December 06, 2011, 10:19:34 am »

At creation I got 8 basic regiments, and selected my upgrades for maximum potential with the 4 ducats I was awarded. Hardly an unstoppably winning force. This was balanced so I could achieve my goal if I was cunning. But not forever.

You all knew what my force was after I took Mileth, and used that knowledge to build something against me. The problem was that my force is still better in the ways I'm going to use it. I maintained the tactical advantage, and I am going to use it to great effect. I do not intend to destroy the Ligorian army. My character has a goal. I am working towards that goal.

Everything you guys, as the Ligorian force are doing, is trying to win this bloodlessly.
This is not a contest that can be won bloodlessly. My character cannot surrender, to do so is death and well whats the point of everything I did if thats how it ends? Hence there must be a fight.
Ligoria won't cut a fair deal (Give up my forces, work for them(die to an assassin)?), so there must be a fight.
Ligoria's strength is spread across few regiments, which means split forces works even -better- here.

I cannot win this without losing some of my troops however. But I have unupgraded regiments to soak with. Sorry Dwarmin, but yours is proly the first casualty, given its weakness and the Queen'll sacrifice the weakest first.

---
As far as limited deployment and all that? Theres no reason for it.
CG's on my side. Nukes on my side. When CG can (proly tonight) we'll roll this battle and Ligoria can be sent packing.
Whine louder cause I actually found a way to bloody your nose and theres not a damn thing you can do to stop me.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: December 06, 2011, 10:26:45 am »

CG's on my side. Nukes on my side.

So you're the GM's pet then? ::) No wonder.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: December 06, 2011, 10:29:08 am »

Im playing the part of the Antagonist here. I came up with a means to give me a shot at victory.
You guys are creating ridiculous arguments with no basis in rules in order to make this a cakewalk. That aint happening.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: December 06, 2011, 10:40:34 am »

What you guys need is a few barrels full of really small shards of glass and a catapult or a few barrels of flour and catapult. That would even out the odds.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: December 06, 2011, 10:57:41 am »

Or better yet just a few barrels of shards of glass, a few spies, and to maintain the siege.
No army is going to last long if they've got glass in their bread!
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: December 06, 2011, 10:58:27 am »

Uh, those siege rules you were talking about not having? On the wiki.

Siege Rules
A walled fortification of any kind can be held as part of a siege. Non-walled sites, even towns or markets, cannot be held unless they have some sort of fortification to besiege - defenders must either flee them or fight until there are none left or the foe is defeated.

A siege happens when an attacking force rather than attacking camps outside the area controlled by the fort and prevents transit in and out of the fort. An attacking force of any size can attempt this. If a fort has unrestricted access to a port (either because the port is not held by enemy troops or because the fort is situated in a port) then both land and sea must be blockaded for a siege to take effect.

Once a siege is underway, the defenders will slowly starve and deplete whatever rations are left in the fort. Unless the fort has recently been besieged, forts start with a number of provisions equal to the fort size (i.e. 1 unit for Walls, 2 for Forts, 3 for Castles etc.). Every regiment within a fort will consume one shipment of provisions per season. If the defenders should end a season without sufficient provisions, they must either surrender or immediately attack the besieging forces (and try to flee).

Whilst besieged, defenders may upgrade regiments present in a fort but may not recruit new regiments there, although regiments can be recruited outside the fort if messengers can get through. Getting a messenger out requires a successful Scouting check (that is, a Scout unit can be used to improve its chances and Scout units can be used to oppose it) that succeeds on a roll of 3 or better. Unless allies exist outside who will pay for recruitment, messengers must also carry the Ducats used for recruitment with them - so capturing a messenger will put those Ducats in the hands of the captors.

Merchant adventurers can try to smuggle provisions into the fort from other provinces - any edible staple will do, and the market will pay full military+staple demand bonuses for it. The defending government may also pay a bonus at their discretion. Smuggling goods past a siege requires a successful smuggling check (as smuggling contraband), following the usual smuggling rules. It is possible for merchants to try to bribe NPC officers in the besieging army to help as they would bribe customs officials. Other than breaking the siege, this is the only way to bring fresh provisions into a besieged fort.

See also:

Battle Modifiers: Some things can grant modifiers to battles taking place - in the above example, the frosty terrain granted a penalty to non-trolls fighting in the region. It is possible for kings to build fortresses and the like to give bonuses to defenders in certain locations. This is up to the king.

So Earthworks, while requiring a roll, are valid. Further Reading:

Split the Enemy: Split the enemy into two or more portions to engage each part separately. On a success, can engage fractured army according to own disposition. On a failure, -1 to battle roll.
Difficulty: +1, additional +1 for each unit in the enemy army that will not be engaged by your own troops.
Special: Split the Enemy is always checked first, independent of any other tactics combined with it. On a success, any tactics combined with split the enemy are rolled for each fraction of the enemy engaged. On a failure, all combined tactics are rolled vs the full enemy army with an additional +1 difficulty.

So, yeah. You're using your +6 to Tactics (tactical units) to take out (split away) the Cavalry, right? You get -1 for every unit you're NOT trying to split. That's -12. You cannot split the army. If you try to split multiple times, say split two units away, you're facing +3 against -6 twice.

Also, CG, I'd like to know where you got these numbers from: 13 tactics(6tact+1 ambush) vs 8(3 Tact +1 cavalry +2 PC General Bonuses). Last time I checked, 6+1 is 7, and 3+1+2 is 6. If that's already including rolls, you didn't include the penalty from the page on the wiki to his attempted tactic...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:00:24 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: December 06, 2011, 11:02:52 am »

Flour explodes when it's suspended in the air. And if you get glass ground down fine enough and put into barrels, you can shot it out of a catapult to in front of a regiment. You just got to make sure the wind is right... and bam- blinded enemy soldiers.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:17 am »

SC: "each unit in the enemy army that will not be engaged by your own troops."
The cavalry which are being set aside are the ones who will not be engaged by Tereno's troops.

Also, tactician upgrades grant +2 to tactics each.

Terrain bonuses only apply if the Ligorians are defending. Now, whilst I will concede that you can lock Laythe up to stop her ruining your plans, you will actually have to do that. No one has done that yet. No one has made a post saying "Seeing Laythe trying to command the army, [character] knocked her over the head and dragged her back to her tent".
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:59 am »

Yeah, because to do a physical attack against the Queen-who had taken charge, more or less, would tear apart the army. :P

@Taricus: Are you going to play it straight, btw? Can you roleplay Laythe deciding to do this? I'd like to see it, personally.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: December 06, 2011, 11:18:40 am »

Alright, I'm not even going to respond to half of this, but Ardas has the authority to overrule my command.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: December 06, 2011, 11:21:33 am »

Personally, I'm waiting for either Ardas to do that (I think everyone is) or for Taricus to come to his sense and stop making things worse, and OK, fair enough. I was under the impression Tactical units were worth 1 point of tactics; I'm not sure why they're worth two, in CGs summary the only unit denoted as 2str is one of Mileth's. However, I think you're reading it wrong. If you're charging out against a whole bunch of enemy troops and you're only trying to peel off one regiment of them, why don't the other 12 regiments have any sort of ability to stop you? Even if that is the case, then he's spending his tactics to do nothing but get a few units away. It's now several 2 on 1 battles and a few 1 on 1, or seven 1 on 1 battles (equal chance; worse in some cases, like the unit going up against the cavalry) and one 5 vs 2 battle.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: December 06, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

Alright, I'm not even going to respond to half of this, but Ardas has the authority to overrule my command.
Won't that tear apart the army and piss off Laythe, making her attack Nike?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: December 06, 2011, 11:27:22 am »

@Fili: Yeah, I'm not going to get numbers arguments, but I would like to know Queen Laythes *motivation*.

Everything you do in this game is through the filter of how your character would act. Unless Taric pulls the temporary insanity card, it seems that an attack was detected mustering from the walls, and Laythe jumped in to take command-like a QUEEN.

It'd be a bit strange if ol' Nike just comes along and gives her the boot, and she accepts it like a scolded child. In front of her army. Her ENTIRE Army.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:24 am »

Won't that tear apart the army and piss off Laythe, making her attack Nike?
Not really...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 634