Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 634

Author Topic: You are King OOC Thread  (Read 289277 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: You are King OOC Thread
« Reply #1245 on: August 20, 2011, 07:39:03 am »

Golly, Storm Coast is bigger than I imagined. If there were only some sort of scale included... How big is Elbreth? I'm trying to wrap my head around the map and I need to see the scales to understand the map.What is the distance between Sheepstead and Miring? 50 Miles? A 100? 500 ?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: August 20, 2011, 07:51:02 am »

Golly, Storm Coast is bigger than I imagined. If there were only some sort of scale included... How big is Elbreth? I'm trying to wrap my head around the map and I need to see the scales to understand the map.What is the distance between Sheepstead and Miring? 50 Miles? A 100? 500 ?
Well based on the amount of stuff that happens in-game I'd say Sheepstead to Miring takes about a weeks travel, so 6 hours of travel a day would be just over 40 hours of travel and at a horse's trot that'd be an average of 7-9 miles per hour (using 8 ), so that'd work out about 300 miles from Miring to Sheepstead based on rather rough estimates.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1247 on: August 20, 2011, 07:54:34 am »

Well I went from Suul, to the border in either a night, or an entire day of non-stop travel, going to go with day of non-stop travel though.

So 30ish hours going much faster then an army, donkey's go about 3-5 miles an hour dragging something, so 150 miles.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:21 am »

Well I went from Suul, to the border in either a night, or an entire day of non-stop travel, going to go with day of non-stop travel though.

So 30ish hours going much faster then an army, donkey's go about 3-5 miles an hour dragging something, so 150 miles.

Going much faster than an army at 3-5 miles an hour with a donkey? I'm quite a fast walker so it'll take me 8-9 minutes to walk a mile, but I'm not exactly an army on full march =/
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:19 am »

if its between 150 to 300 that would make storm coast length the distance from Lisbon to Moscow. ( 2500 miles +) So yeah, Storm Continent by the looks of it.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:42 am »

Armies travel super slow, they have to keep organized, and have to stop at land they can actually occupy.  What would the point of messengers be, if you could just take your army somewhere?

edit- Plus i'm not wearing armor, or carrying weapons, or large stores of food and water, and camping supplies, and etc and etc.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:03:33 am by King_of_the_weasels »

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 20, 2011, 08:09:09 am »

*researches on internet* Ok I feel rather silly now, I looked up one of the most organized and well-drilled forces which existed (The ancient roman army) and they would often travel at 3-4 miles per hour. Either way we're still looking in the region of 150-300 miles
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 20, 2011, 08:19:05 am »

See if I was riding a horse, it'd be super different.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: August 20, 2011, 08:31:30 am »

Hmm... if all that land is mostly PC controlled eventually we're going to need a hell of a lot of resources for managing the game.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:02 am »

Ah ha some where to explore!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:44 am »

Over extremely hilly terrain.  Army on flat terrain makes 2mph (baggage trains slow everything down, so armies travel at the rate of oxen), w/ good roads it might manage 3mph.  Human walking speed is 4mph.  Over the absurdly hilly terrain of Elbreth with almost no good roads, you're looking at 1.5mph.  In Eelspine, you might manage a mile an hour with an army.  (I'm on a break, shh.)

But mostly it's because I wasn't that familiar with the scale myself.  My original estimate was that from Vasir to the southernmost Samkhet Isle would be about twelve hundred miles (roughly the distance from Antwerpen to Riga, so the northern coast of central europe), but that would make the distance between Sheepstead and Miring something in the region of 1/8th or 1/7th that - maybe 150miles?  200m?

So if it takes 100 hours to take an army from Sheepstead to Miring @ 8hrs/day... you actually should be able to manage it in 12 and a half days.  Make it half a month, which means armies should really be making travel in the region of maybe 6 provinces/season.  I think that would bring it in line with caravan speed, so how about we give them the same rate of move?

Looks like we'll be revising the distance armies can travel from hereon in!  6 provinces/season, more or less, but when I get back I'll add a move bonus in to Scout and Cavalry units.

Edit:  By this logic, Eelspine is either getting split into 3 provinces to preserve the limitations on move speed or we'll make travelling through mountains take double move.

Hmm... if all that land is mostly PC controlled eventually we're going to need a hell of a lot of resources for managing the game.

Automation will be our friend.  Expect more spreadsheets eventually.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:39:18 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: August 20, 2011, 08:41:34 am »

I would not count on that, unless we keep game running until Christmas. I would have nothing against that , time permitting. Potentially you could have NPC chancellors, viceroys and the like if there was enough land.
Also, if Elbreth is to turn into an empire, capital city must change its name. Imperial city of Sheepstead does not sound dignified to say the least.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: August 20, 2011, 08:43:10 am »

Over extremely hilly terrain.  Army on flat terrain makes 2mph (baggage trains slow everything down, so armies travel at the rate of oxen), w/ good roads it might manage 3mph.  Human walking speed is 4mph.  Over the absurdly hilly terrain of Elbreth with almost no good roads, you're looking at 1.5mph.  In Eelspine, you might manage a mile an hour with an army.  (I'm on a break, shh.)

But mostly it's because I wasn't that familiar with the scale myself.  My original estimate was that from Vasir to the southernmost Samkhet Isle would be about twelve hundred miles (roughly the distance from Antwerpen to Riga, so the northern coast of central europe), but that would make the distance between Sheepstead and Miring something in the region of 1/8th or 1/7th that - maybe 150miles?  200m?

So if it takes 100 hours to take an army from Sheepstead to Miring @ 8hrs/day... you actually should be able to manage it in 12 and a half days.  Make it half a month, which means armies should really be making travel in the region of maybe 6 provinces/season.  I think that would bring it in line with caravan speed, so how about we give them the same rate of move?

Looks like we'll be revising the distance armies can travel from hereon in!  6 provinces/season, more or less, but when I get back I'll add a move bonus in to Scout and Cavalry units.

Edit:  By this logic, Eelspine is either getting split into 3 provinces to preserve the limitations on move speed or we'll make travelling through mountains take double move.
Sounds good to me, could anyone tell me how exactly provinces work though? (Not Iiteum, your having time of until Monday remember  :P)

Automation will be our friend.  Expect more spreadsheets eventually.
Will we still have all the wonderful written recollections of what's happening if large parts of the process are handled automatically?
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:15 am »

Leaving again to get back to work.  Before I do, a tip for the Wiki users.

If anybody works on a Province page, the first thing you should do is enter {{subst:Template:Province}} and publish the page.  This will create a copy of the Province Template that you can edit thereafter.

Edit:  Some of the Storm Coast states will be Orthodox, by the by, even though Taloisism is dominant.  The fact that the Archbishopric had 11d in tithes should be a fair indicate as to the spread of Orthodoxy.  (It doesn't, now that Elbreth and Miring flipped religions.  It's 9d.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:57:13 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: August 20, 2011, 09:06:33 am »

Iituem, please go. (joke)

It reminds of of a situation when a parent has to leave the house for a meeting or something and he/she comes back every 5 minutes to to add something or check whether the kid is doing ok.
We're fine, no worries.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 634