Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 633740 times)

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #960 on: July 22, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »

I thought that that problem was solved. As you would have noticed by this time, I don't fish. I'll see if I can make a child fight one, anyway.

There is nothing more hilarious than watching a moody dwarf pick up a shell, only to realize it's ALIVE.

Brekouh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: July 27, 2013, 09:49:10 pm »

I'm wondering if there is a reliable way we could cripple the animals for the dwarf super soldier incubation pods so that they have a reduced ability to actually damage the munchkins while still being viable for training

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »

Dropping them from a few levels up would likely do the trick.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 28, 2013, 11:18:10 am »

I thought that that problem was solved. As you would have noticed by this time, I don't fish. I'll see if I can make a child fight one, anyway.
There is nothing more hilarious than watching a moody dwarf pick up a shell, only to realize it's ALIVE.
I don't know, it'd be sort of underwhelming, I think. Pick up this little thing, it opens a little and a tiny muscle sticks out and pokes you on the hand. Not exactly the shock of the century.
Or a wooden spear trap. Pull once, see how damaged it is. Keep pulling until it's properly crippled. Open floodgate, flush it into the right room. But still, this takes a lot of management and time, and that's what you don't want to waste on your children in the first place. Perhaps what you want is necrosis, which affects our beloved young so that ze doctor can remove all that pesky skin of theirs. That way we can cull the weakest and make the survivors more suited for future conditioning, since they'll no longer pass out from pain to be insta-gibbed.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 28, 2013, 11:21:52 am »

I don't know, it'd be sort of underwhelming, I think. Pick up this little thing, it opens a little and a tiny muscle sticks out and pokes you on the hand. Not exactly the shock of the century.
Or a wooden spear trap. Pull once, see how damaged it is. Keep pulling until it's properly crippled. Open floodgate, flush it into the right room. But still, this takes a lot of management and time, and that's what you don't want to waste on your children in the first place. Perhaps what you want is necrosis, which affects your beloved young so that ze doctor can remove all that pesky skin of theirs. That way you can cull the weakest and unluckiest and make the survivors more suited for future conditioning, since they'll no longer pass out from pain to be insta-gibbed.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 04, 2013, 01:08:38 pm »

NM
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 04, 2013, 01:23:35 pm »

It would require modding, so that they can be reliably bred, but I still think fleshballs would work best here. The most they can do is bump the kids, and it does little damage. 

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:02 pm »

It would require modding, so that they can be reliably bred, but I still think fleshballs would work best here. The most they can do is bump the kids, and it does little damage.
But they are heavy. And so they can crush bones. Have I to say that again? A baby hand bruised a child's brain!

Anyway, I have been trying to use the lightest object a necromancer would be able to reanimate in a normal fortress: a severed, tooth-less baby bunny head. I can't still blow its teeth off. Damned thing  can fall to the bottom of the map withouth losing its teeth.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 04, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »

Bumping and pushing can do terrifying amount of damage and seem to get lucky way too often against fragile skulls.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 04, 2013, 05:38:34 pm »

Bumping and pushing can do terrifying amount of damage and seem to get lucky way too often against fragile skulls.

Is that one of the reasons giant sponges are so terrifyingly powerful (you know, aside from the whole not dying no matter how many times you stab/beat them thing)?

On an unrelated note, even though I'm probably never going to make a childcare programme, I have to say I'm quite impressed by the amount of work that's been put into this. I remember when I first heard of this game and decided to check out the forums to see what it was like, and it was seeing this topic that really sold it for me. It makes me so happy to see this projects still up and running after so long.  :)
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 04, 2013, 11:37:57 pm »

Anyway, I have been trying to use the lightest object a necromancer would be able to reanimate in a normal fortress: a severed, tooth-less baby bunny head. I can't still blow its teeth off. Damned thing  can fall to the bottom of the map withouth losing its teeth.
Try dumping it onto weapon trap loaded with hammers and ensure necromancer always has line of sight to it.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:37 pm »

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but has anyone who succeeded making a super-soldier ever thought to turn them into a vampire? A psychotic, skinless, apathetic, immortal superdwarf that's sealed in his own private room to perfect his skills, only let out to single-handedly decimate a siege. Well, every year or two you'll toss in a dwarf for him to feed on. Even better, you can have him be a sort of executor of any of the children in captivity that go berserk. Make it so that he's the only face they ever see...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 15, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but has anyone who succeeded making a super-soldier ever thought to turn them into a vampire? A psychotic, skinless, apathetic, immortal superdwarf that's sealed in his own private room to perfect his skills, only let out to single-handedly decimate a siege. Well, every year or two you'll toss in a dwarf for him to feed on. Even better, you can have him be a sort of executor of any of the children in captivity that go berserk. Make it so that he's the only face they ever see...
Nobody has ever succeeded in making a super-soldier with dwarven childcare. Despite the popularity of the thread it's produced very little.

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:20 pm »

Nobody has ever succeeded in making a super-soldier with dwarven childcare. Despite the popularity of the thread it's produced very little.

Indeed, it seems that way after fully reading the thread. Still, one can hope. One day, we shall make a dwarf equal to the power of a thrall!

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 16, 2013, 03:09:23 am »

Indeed, it seems that way after fully reading the thread. Still, one can hope. One day, we shall make a dwarf equal to the power of a thrall!

There's an easy way for that: We make said dwarf into a thrall.
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 76