Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 634043 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #930 on: March 23, 2013, 02:26:06 pm »

Give a helmet to the child and drop the food and booze on it's head. Then give it more armor and throw socks at it. When i reaches legendary armor user give it your best weapon and throw there some war dogs/goblins/tantrumers/berserkers/FBs/Ampersands/Titans. After 12 years, you will get a !!Little Fist o' Fury!!.
If the child goes insane in this process and goes berserk give it some slade-mandating nobles.

Well, the main purpose of this thread is to find a way to train children without armor, as children can't use armor. Also, the coinstar method to train defensive skills uses coins,as everything else can crush skulls or incapacitate the recruits.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 23, 2013, 02:50:17 pm »

Give a helmet to the child and drop the food and booze on it's head. Then give it more armor and throw socks at it. When i reaches legendary armor user give it your best weapon and throw there some war dogs/goblins/tantrumers/berserkers/FBs/Ampersands/Titans. After 12 years, you will get a !!Little Fist o' Fury!!.
If the child goes insane in this process and goes berserk give it some slade-mandating nobles.

Well, the main purpose of this thread is to find a way to train children without armor, as children can't use armor. Also, the coinstar method to train defensive skills uses coins,as everything else can crush skulls or incapacitate the recruits.
Even socks?! So that's why my recruits died...
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 23, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »

Everything with wheight can break bones by falling, it seems. Coiins are so small that the game treats them as wheightless, so they provide a safe way to train defensive skills.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 24, 2013, 02:22:16 am »

i could've swore silken socks were ok. and thongs. but you need to have actual armour on, and there is a small chance it will go bad (whereas with coins, it basically never goes bad. unless your dwarfs decide it's time to get nekkid in the middle of being tossed all over the place, and adds some clothing to the mix...)

unfortunately, children cannot be made to wear armour. and i don't think clothing works for training the skill...

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 24, 2013, 04:26:35 am »

i could've swore silken socks were ok. and thongs. but you need to have actual armour on, and there is a small chance it will go bad (whereas with coins, it basically never goes bad. unless your dwarfs decide it's time to get nekkid in the middle of being tossed all over the place, and adds some clothing to the mix...)

unfortunately, children cannot be made to wear armour. and i don't think clothing works for training the skill...
Yeah...

The flying XAdamantine thongX hits Urist McRecruit in the head, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!
I'm with stupid |
                      v

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 24, 2013, 10:41:30 pm »

huh. that's odd, did that happen through armour, or just on an unarmoured recruit?

iirc, most injuries to armoured recruits from stuff as light as silken thongs came from injuries to places that are not considered covered by armour no matter how much you wear...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:51 pm »

...we shoot wales with balistae...

I'd have thought Wales would have had enough of being targeted with balistae by the 1400's :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 25, 2013, 10:29:34 am »

huh. that's odd, did that happen through armour, or just on an unarmoured recruit?

iirc, most injuries to armoured recruits from stuff as light as silken thongs came from injuries to places that are not considered covered by armour no matter how much you wear...

Nope! Just my another bad joke D:. About not covered things try to cut their fingers and toes (and face?) in such a safe way that they dont bleed out. Bam, fully covered dorf :P
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 25, 2013, 10:36:45 am »

Nope! Just my another bad joke D:. About not covered things try to cut their fingers and toes (and face?) in such a safe way that they dont bleed out. Bam, fully covered dorf :P
This is even less productive than the magma bath proposed in the first pages of this thread. There is already a way to train them using coins. Also, there is no way to target individual body parts in fortress mode.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:08 am »

This is even less productive than the magma bath proposed in the first pages of this thread. There is already a way to train them using coins. Also, there is no way to target individual body parts in fortress mode.
If you can devise a method of severing that won't go through armor then you don't need to target the individual body parts. It's like using a stencil. The covered part stays but eventually all the uncovered parts go.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 25, 2013, 12:03:07 pm »

food is also....a bit tricky to store in that kind of system to say the least, since it rots if not on a food stockpile. In my daycare the only tile they are standing on is a quantum stockpile for food to prevent its rot. I also need to drop in food quite frequently because the hatch itself is not a food stockpile, so its quite hard to actually dump a lot of food and booze down the hatch at once.
Wouldn't minecarts deal with that?

Set up a stockpile with all the food and booze you want to dump. Build an auto-dumping stop next to the pit. Add a one-stop hauling route that takes stuff from your stockpile.

If you really need two stops to make dumping work, then make the hauling route take off every few days, to ensure it moves before stuff rots.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 25, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »

My second day from registration and I slightly derailed the thread. Hooray!
Anyways I'm going to start my childxperiments in a new fort. I'll let you know of any progress.

EDIT: Ok, so I have got a subject. He is rather average but he can handle stress. He is a baby now so I have to wait a year. Yay!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 02:02:51 pm by McDonald »
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Andreus

• Bay Watcher
  • Doom Consultant
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 16, 2013, 10:32:17 am »

You know, if occurs to me that Dwarf Fortress players would make utterly excellent serial killers.

Fortunately for the world, we're all too busy playing Dwarf Fortress.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 16, 2013, 10:33:40 am »

You know, if occurs to me that Dwarf Fortress players would make utterly excellent serial killers.

Nonono, serial bystanders to "unfortunate accidents".
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »

Nonono, serial bystanders to "unfortunate accidents".
Unfortunate accidents would be great for imposing term limits!

DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76