Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: ADOM: The crying game  (Read 15775 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM thread
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »

Why the pool aversion? Head to the forge and suck all of 'em dry and have fun from there. :D
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 11:04:33 pm »

The 50/50/90 rule. Simply put, there's more or less a 50/50 chance of either getting something good, or getting something bad, which means there's a 90% chance of getting something that will kill you.

And the problem with the forge is that it has extremely dangerous mobs, and has a fairly high base background corruption rate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 12:00:28 am »

On the note of skill usefulness how is athletics? I was getting it because I figured more stats are always good, but I wasn't sure how good it actually was.

And to confirm, corpses are mostly useful for getting resists, and not stats? or is it both?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 12:22:40 am »

I checked- it was a beastfighter.

On the note of skill usefulness how is athletics? I was getting it because I figured more stats are always good, but I wasn't sure how good it actually was.

And to confirm, corpses are mostly useful for getting resists, and not stats? or is it both?

It also increases speed at high levels, which is always useful.

Both.  Remember- you are what you eat.

I almost always hit the small cave with the intent of finding the stairs (for later)- it's quite a useful side trip.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 01:32:01 am »

I like to hit the small cave when my starting character has both healing and herbalism before doing any of the beginner quests (such as wizards) with the objective of finding the staircase first and waterproof blanket second. When I hit level 5 that is my cue to get the hell out. At four your still okay but you got to be careful and at 6 you are generally screwed when it comes to 99% of characters.

Athletics is very good when it comes to melee oriented classes (helps speed for sure, and maybe DV. I am not entirely sure), but it definitely never hurts to have for others because if you can't win a fight the best option is to run and live to fight another day. Speed most definitely helps with that.

You probably know this, but if an enemy seems especially CHAOTIC and evil it probably wouldn't be a good idea to eat it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 01:41:17 am »

Ah, so jumping into the cave with my weaponsmiths probably isn't a great idea, as they don't have healing. That explains a lot.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 02:19:58 am »

How useful are Necromancers, from 1 to 10?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 02:58:43 am »

I've heard they're one of the worst classes, at least in the early game, unfortunatly. Of course I've been playing for approximately what, 3 days, so take that with a grain of salt. :P

HOWEVER, they have one major game breakingly huge thing going for them

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »

HOWEVER, they have one major game breakingly huge thing going for them

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »

Aren't there randomly generated artifacts that could fufill that criteria though?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 03:30:15 pm »

ADOM has no randomly generated artifacts.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 04:58:43 pm »

Oh huh, well there we are. Maybe the dev patched it out or somethin.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 08:48:05 pm »

Spoiler: On Necro final power (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 03:01:22 am »

Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ADOM: The crying game
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 11:30:53 am »

I've been playing it on 7 and it runs like a charm.

It has a lot of interesting contrasts with DF adventure mode - both have their strengths, but ADOM has a constructed story behind it, so I have to admit it's more fun in the long term. Anyone who wants to make a new roguelike would do well to take the good points from it and DF Adventure together.

I prefer playing wizards, usually human, gnome, or hurthling. Elementalists just feel too easy. Priests/druids are allright too. In any case, I love having spells!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:35:08 am by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8