Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: ADOM: The crying game  (Read 15754 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about ADOM
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »

One good thing about edibly dangerous corpses is that you can sell them to Terinyo shopkeeper(or any merchant who specializes in food). Also a plus, if you need to preserve the corpse indefinitely, they do not rot in the shop.

Of course, eating and selling them aren't the only things you can do with a corpse, he he...

Spoiler: Whaaat? (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »

ADOM is by far my favorite traditional roguelike. Most other games are go through dungeon, find special item, leave dungeon. The detailed background story and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in ADOM gives it the edge versus others. I have yet to beat the game, but I can get to mid-late game content with regular frequency.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:07:36 pm by Taniec »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 07:29:16 pm »

I did manage to rescue the puppy with a troll beastfighter, but he spawned next to the staircase sooooo kinda easier then usual.

Aside from that haven't even made it to the Caverns of Chaos yet, although I did find the small cave. Likin' the overworld too.

EDIT: Oh he had the candle starsign too, so I suppose that takes even more of the achievement away from it. :P

supermalparit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Towns devblog
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 07:40:24 pm »

There is a ranking of people who beated the game. You can send your log (when you beat the game), they check it and, if all it's ok, your name/character appear in the rank.

http://adom.brinkster.net/hof/

I'm in the position 357 (of 375). I remember, when I posted my log (june 2003), there was only 8 (!!!) guys in the rank.

Anybody can beat Morco? The human monk!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:41:58 pm »

Troll healers born under Candle. Try to kill them, I dare ya.

Spoiler: Also, troll farmers. (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:24 pm »

So should I just change the title of the thread to just "ADOM thread" and cut out the middle man? :p

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:56 pm »

You could do that.

Anyone here played Omega? It probably served as inspiration to ADOM. It's even more open and detailed, and has several factions with their own victory conditions... too bad it's not very playable and random WTF deaths happen too often. Not to mention the inventory handling. Ughhh...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

Troll healers born under Candle. Try to kill them, I dare ya.

Spoiler: Also, troll farmers. (click to show/hide)
Trolls are all good until a ghost taps them on the shoulder to say "Dude, you left your club back there", killing them.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 02:43:17 pm »

I can't stand playing trolls due to the slow levelling.  I even took them out of random selection.

One of these days I will win with an Orc Mindcrafter.  I try it every time I get the Tree sign.

(I like the slightly off-center combos- my single win is a hurtling beastfighter or barbarian (I forget which))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: ADOM thread
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 03:56:04 pm »

I gotta say ever since I started starting  (:o) in the small cave my new charecter mortality rate has went waaaaay up. Any tips for that place? I understand I need the waterproof blanket later.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »

It's going to be brutal no matter what, but there's an important thing to pay attention to:

Newly generated enemies (that aren't starting ones) are always double the level of you. KEEP AS LOW A LEVEL AS YOU CAN WHILE FUMBLING AROUND and avoid unnecessary killing. Find the blanket ASAP and LEAVE THAT LEVEL AS SOON AS YOU FIND THE BLANKET (the levels below are a different dungeon entirely, and are waaaaaaay safer than the Small Cave).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:12:42 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 05:32:30 pm »

It should be noted though, that the enemies genned in the Small Cave are kinds that never have any particular outstanding abilities. Notably, none have See Invisible. Very useful if you plan to go through the rest of it later on.
Spoiler: Especially... (click to show/hide)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »

Ah yeh, I'd looked up the double enemy level thing, I just wasn't sure if there was anything to be done, although the invisibility thing is good to know. Along with the floors below not being affected by the double level thing. I assume you don't typically find an invisibility granting equip before when you need the waterproof blanket? That temple in the lake I presume?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 08:49:50 pm »

Okay, how the hell do I get food in this game?

Taniec

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to save the day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

The best source of food with satiation to weight ratio is at the arena in the CoC where you can trade for fried lizards with the ratlings. Fried bat is the the next best thing but anything else just isn't worth it. Cheap too. Rations from the starting town are only really good for getting across the wilderness to the CoC. Some corpse effects are lethal and can affect your stats in the long term, but a lot of them are useful for getting most of the resist in the game. If you have a character with Food Preservation it increases the chance of a killed monster to actually drop a corpse but it isn't THAT necessary, but still one of the better and useful skills to have compared to other skills like music (unless you are a bard that is).

Equipment that grants invisibility is very hard to find (and it speeds up hunger too), and you're best bet to be honest would be to get invisibility from pool drinking (which does not affect hunger), but that in itself is risky behavior and you would want to be be lucky and have fate smiles before you dry up the pools which are not that hard to find in the game. There is actually a dungeon in the game that has guaranteed pools.

For all the time I have put into this game I would throw a mental party in my head for when I finally do beat it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:40:07 pm by Taniec »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8