Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are Danger rooms an exploit

Yes, they are an easy means of getting legendary dwarves.
- 91 (32.7%)
No, it's in the game and no one says you have to use it.
- 54 (19.4%)
Who cares play however you want.
- 133 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 274

Voting closed: August 13, 2011, 06:26:01 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Do you think danger rooms are a exploit?  (Read 16156 times)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think danger rooms are a exploit?
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »

cheap dodge-me trap

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »

Hi - jumped in here without having read ALL 12 pages of comments, but if you want a fortress to last a few sieges without hiding behind impenetrable walls the hole time, you need a danger room, or a gladiatorial room, or something, as the advances in your little axe and spear dwarves skills through actual combat is hopelessly slow, and the invaders ramp up in skill and material a lot faster.

Before I found out how to make a danger room, I got used to my dwarves, despite many battles and exciting deaths, couldn't match anything tougher than elves.  Then the 1st danger room had them legendary within a season.

I'd be happy if danger room training was nerfed a bit providing the actual experience from real battles helped produce good warriors a great deal faster.

But to everyone their own.  I'm trying for immortal fortresses with an open portal to the deeps eventually, if the goblins on giant bats didn't keep messing that up every time...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2011, 07:10:04 pm »

Well that's just silly, I've never had a danger room, or arena to train my dwarves(too inhumane for my tastes), and I've survived several sieges, megabeasts, and forgotten beasties using almost solely my military.

Is it slower? most definitely. But is certainly not impossible to have a well trained militia without the use of special training methods.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2011, 07:14:04 pm »

It allows for greater XP from live training.

Do they really? I've never noticed that before, that's actually pretty cool.

I think training weapons are useful if you embark without metal or weapons and want your first few militia captains to be sparring without having to wait for you to set up a proper metal industry.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »

And no, I don't. Other methods of training, while not as "cheat-y," do not gain skills nearly fast enough, and therefore result in dead soldiers.

Now, four months later, my opinion has changed. By taking two random idiots, giving them spears and telling them to train every other month, I get legendary fighters after a year or so. It takes about another year of fighting for them to get themselves legendary with their weapons, but it isn't nearly as slow as I thought it would be. Two years to build up an effective militia? Sounds good in my book.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »

Guess that's what the [TRAINING] tag does.

I vote that it's not an exploit, if only because I feel sorry enough for the gobbos to want to build one for them.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:37 pm »

I vote that it's not an exploit, if only because I feel sorry enough for the gobbos to want to build one for them.
All [TRAINING] does if I'm not mistaken is make the item out of wood. If it does make it increase XP gain...

DEAR GODS, ALERT THE MILITIA IMMEDIATELY. THE ELVES SHALL! TASTE! IRONY!

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2011, 08:51:02 am »

All [TRAINING] does if I'm not mistaken is make the item out of wood. If it does make it increase XP gain...

DEAR GODS, ALERT THE MILITIA IMMEDIATELY. THE ELVES SHALL! TASTE! IRONY!

It increases XP-gain per enemy. Because those enemies will survive training longer and can thus take more hits, providing more practice than they would against regular weapons.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:25 pm »

It allows for greater XP gain because it allows you to spend more time trading blows with the enemy. That's all there is to it.

Blunt weapons can be nerfed to [TRAINING] level by making them from adamantine, which is really really light. Bone and wood are also light, but generally unavailable outside moods. The exception is crossbows, which train hammer skill when used in melee.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2011, 12:24:48 pm »

Ah, I thought you meant they granted more XP per hit, which I wasn't sure about. Thanks for the clarification.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]