Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are Danger rooms an exploit

Yes, they are an easy means of getting legendary dwarves.
- 91 (32.7%)
No, it's in the game and no one says you have to use it.
- 54 (19.4%)
Who cares play however you want.
- 133 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 274

Voting closed: August 13, 2011, 06:26:01 pm

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Do you think danger rooms are a exploit?  (Read 16153 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think danger rooms are a exploit?
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2011, 08:30:43 am »

Toady can't really remove danger rooms. Skill improves when the skill is checked. At some point, he needs to get around to balancing traps, combat etc. a bit better. At the moment, you don't even need a serious military if you litter your entrance with enough weapon and cage traps. The new monsters and invaders coming with the next release should produce a consistent challenge to a fortress, and after we've had that for a while I expect Toady will balance traps and the military interface a bit better, and the way military dwarves learn skills.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Jerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »

Toady can't really remove danger rooms. Skill improves when the skill is checked. At some point, he needs to get around to balancing traps, combat etc. a bit better. At the moment, you don't even need a serious military if you litter your entrance with enough weapon and cage traps. The new monsters and invaders coming with the next release should produce a consistent challenge to a fortress, and after we've had that for a while I expect Toady will balance traps and the military interface a bit better, and the way military dwarves learn skills.

True, for instance, those with higher skills in a squad should have dramatically faster increases in teaching skills, which in conjugation with a few other tweaks would balance the military training well (well enough so that it becomes a more viable way of training when embarking in an evil site at least).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:37 pm »

It's also possible to exploit standard military training. If you're mouse designating while they're demonstrating, organising a demonstration, or sparring, they'll run through what they're doing without any in-game time passing and spar or move onto the next demonstration until all available squad members reach 'Individual Combat Drill / Resting' status.

True, for instance, those with higher skills in a squad should have dramatically faster increases in teaching skills, which in conjugation with a few other tweaks would balance the military training well (well enough so that it becomes a more viable way of training when embarking in an evil site at least).
Something to make the skilled soldiering immigrants more useful? I find that they pick up teaching pretty quickly, since if they're more skilled than your own founders they'll do demos more often. But it would be nice for Teacher skill gains to be more related to skill differences.

Proficient Teacher + Proficient [military skill] can yield quick skill gains, based on the skill chosen. Dodging is demonstrated readily, Armour / Shield User fairly often, and Biting / Kicking barely at all (based on a sample size of 2, it seems to take them about a year to get round to teaching either of those). Two dwarves with Dodging and Shield Use plus good stats plus a full set of well-made bronze armour would probably be able to survive long enough to gain offensive skills. A third dwarf could add Fighter or Armour User to the mix; I don't know which of those would be the better bet.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:33 am »

The training room in Kung Fu Panda seemed pretty dwarfy to me.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »

The training room in Kung Fu Panda seemed pretty dwarfy to me.

Wasn't lethal though :(

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:44 pm »

Danger rooms are exploity as fuck, i don't see how a serious player can use them and not consider it an unfair advantage against the a.i

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2011, 11:03:52 am »

Danger rooms are exploity as f*, i don't see how a serious player can use them and not consider it an unfair advantage against the a.i

<irony type="rhetorical">
Draw Bridges are exploity as f*.
Floor Hatches above your entrance are exploity as f*.
Breeding programs of Giant Badgers «with enormous muscles and just giant overall» in a Pen/Pasture at your front gate are exploity as f*.
Constructed Walls of Cat Tallow Soap to keep out the Skeletal Dragon are exploity as f*.

Omniscient vision of the surface map is exploity as f*,  i don't see how a serious player can use their eyes and not consider it an unfair advantage against the a.i
</irony>

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2011, 11:08:05 am »

That response is full of holes. If no one else beats me to it by the time i get home I'll elaborate, on my phone ATM

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »

That response is full of holes. If no one else beats me to it by the time i get home I'll elaborate, on my phone ATM

I believe that the number of gamebreaking things in DF has been discussed to death. The use of danger rooms is on par with the use of, say, cage traps as a measure of exploitiness. The sort of person who won't use danger rooms won't use cage traps, or even mechanical traps of any kind.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »

+1; it's ridiculous to talk about "exploits" in a single-player game with no score or win-state.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2011, 12:57:06 pm »

You could try to poke each of those examples full of holes, and maybe succeed on some of them, but the thing is, complaining about a unfair advantage in a fight against the AI is fairly pointless.  There are only two stages of the battle between AI and player.  The first stage is where the player gets destroyed because a goblin ambush shows up in he second or third year and WHAT IS THIS MILITARY SCREEN I DON'T EVEN.  The second is where's begun to figure out that with a little ingenuity(and quite often it is very little at all) the AI doesn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell.  That there are just so many ways to obliterate enemies whose most advanced form of attack is arrows without ever letting a single dwarf within arrow range, that the only times a fair fight happens is when one of you is holding back.  You say Danger Rooms are exploity as fuck.  We say, "Okay, what isn't?"
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »

I believe that the number of gamebreaking things in DF has been discussed to death. The use of danger rooms is on par with the use of, say, cage traps as a measure of exploitiness. The sort of person who won't use danger rooms won't use cage traps, or even mechanical traps of any kind.

True enough, that was actually my exact progression of forbidding things as i realized how op each was.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2011, 01:02:00 pm »

You could try to poke each of those examples full of holes, and maybe succeed on some of them, but the thing is, complaining about a unfair advantage in a fight against the AI is fairly pointless.  There are only two stages of the battle between AI and player.  The first stage is where the player gets destroyed because a goblin ambush shows up in he second or third year and WHAT IS THIS MILITARY SCREEN I DON'T EVEN.  The second is where's begun to figure out that with a little ingenuity(and quite often it is very little at all) the AI doesn't stand a snowflake's chance in hell.  That there are just so many ways to obliterate enemies whose most advanced form of attack is arrows without ever letting a single dwarf within arrow range, that the only times a fair fight happens is when one of you is holding back.  You say Danger Rooms are exploity as fuck.  We say, "Okay, what isn't?"
Everything is overpowered. Dwarves are steel and candy clad tacticians, goblins are bronze and iron clad grunts that charge in. Even wrestling at a certain point gets just plain overpowered. Once a dwarf is max strength and agility by exploity or otherwise means, they can murder sieges by strangling one guy, taking his knife, then gutting everyone.

I just say have fun with it. Until the digger AI comes in, fortresses are nigh invincible. Even then we'll figure something out to murder them by the thousands.

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »

Everything is overpowered. Dwarves are steel and candy clad tacticians, goblins are bronze and iron clad grunts that charge in. Even wrestling at a certain point gets just plain overpowered. Once a dwarf is max strength and agility by exploity or otherwise means, they can murder sieges by strangling one guy, taking his knife, then gutting everyone.

I just say have fun with it. Until the digger AI comes in, fortresses are nigh invincible. Even then we'll figure something out to murder them by the thousands.

And the horrifying hidden truth of Dwarf Fortress is made known!

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »

And the horrifying hidden truth of Dwarf Fortress is made known!
It may be a horrifying truth for you, because you apparently are seeking a challenge.  It's pretty much fine with me, because I am looking to see one crazy drunk take a knife and gut seven trolls while his friends capture a few goblins for forced gladatorial matches later.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12