Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76079 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #585 on: August 25, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »

@namad
Despite my being on the crawl thread here at bay12 I mostly play in isolation so lacked what would be termed common knowledge.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 26, 2011, 01:08:41 am »

Yeah, if you're getting to point playing is frustrating just say screw it and blitz. There's no chance at all of you getting the DDHe high score, so you might as well go for it. If you die, at least you can play something more interesting. If you don't die, then hey. Win. Don't worry, be happy.

You'll probably die :P but that's okay, we'll still love your corpse, all night long, hohohoho.

Maybe the ghost'll manage to surprise someone. It could happen!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:14:45 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

absolutego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 26, 2011, 02:00:33 am »

namad: with 9 MP, zot:5 half-cleared and access to hasting you may just pull it off. try to kill or lure away an orb of fire or two (if you have teleportation consumables to burn). just running for it with a DD is asking for trouble, because you may have to teleport to safety and end up much worse than you started.

that's the reason i don't play DD much. i once ascended with a DDBe with 4 MP. bloodless vampires are about as much as i can take.

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 26, 2011, 08:00:29 am »

Yeah, DD's are not very fun for me to play either. The farthest I've ever made it is the Vaults.

If you pop into #b12crawl on IRC in the next couple of hours I'd be happy to give you step-by-step tips to trying to ninja the Orb.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:44 am »

The Champions are inching closer to 4th place.  And we're only 2500 points from Elliptic's team.

On a related note, has anyone checked the leaderboard?  theglow has 12 wins . . . in 2 weeks!  4 of them are nemelex picks and he has a streak of 8.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 26, 2011, 08:31:14 am »

Yeah, he's probably an alien. Although Mikee has a 7 streak and his is still going on. Also Elliptic has a 6 streak still on and his only death in the tournament was almost a speed run, a Halfling Venom Mage of Trog who died during the orb run. And he stopped playing a week ago, he would probably be at 10 wins right now if he hadn't.

I also join the "I suck at Deep Dwarves" wagon, my best one was a Deep Dwarf Berserker who died in Crypt5. It may be because I'm very very reluctant to lose max MP (or max HP from Revivification) and so I take risks I should not take to avoid this.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:37:32 am by Alg »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 26, 2011, 08:43:00 am »

This is my first real attempt at playing a Deep Dwarf, and so far I'm finding it quite challenging, but in an interesting way. I got some early luck with finding the Book of Necromancy, though.

A trip to Slime has gone a long way towards solving my equipment problems, got a randart shield with rPois, rElec, which were the two resistances I was struggling with.

Now I just have to concentrate on NOT DYING IN ZOT.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 26, 2011, 08:45:47 am »

I also join the "I suck at Deep Dwarves" wagon, my best one was a Deep Dwarf Berserker who died in Crypt5. It may be because I'm very very reluctant to lose max MP (or max HP from Revivification) and so I take risks I should not take to avoid this.

That's interesting.  I certainly fit into the boat of taking risk to avoid losing "scarce" resources.  I've died (mostly) because I didn't eat permafood when it was abundant.  I lost a great HOPr in this tournament because I was protecting my warlord.  But with DD's I figure the price of playing them is losing a few max MP early on.

Of course, now that I'm level 27 I'm reluctant to sacrifice anymore.  And watch, I'll probably die because of it here soon.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:50 am »

I hate whoever put 4 orange crystal statues in a vault on D:26. That's almost as annoying as the encased crystal statue vault in Pan.

That's interesting.  I certainly fit into the boat of taking risk to avoid losing "scarce" resources.  I've died (mostly) because I didn't eat permafood when it was abundant.  I lost a great HOPr in this tournament because I was protecting my warlord.  But with DD's I figure the price of playing them is losing a few max MP early on.

Of course, now that I'm level 27 I'm reluctant to sacrifice anymore.  And watch, I'll probably die because of it here soon.

I love deep dwarves, but that's because they're the easiest race for me to win with. DDNe of Chei and DDEE of Makhleb are my favorite combos.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 26, 2011, 11:49:58 am »

I hate whoever put 4 orange crystal statues in a vault on D:26. That's almost as annoying as the encased crystal statue vault in Pan.

I love deep dwarves, but that's because they're the easiest race for me to win with. DDNe of Chei and DDEE of Makhleb are my favorite combos.

Shatter, Makhleb, Vault 8.  Gotta love it.  Of course, Shatter is great everywhere except on flying or viscous creatures.  And it's only one spell school as opposed two for FS and IS.  And DD's have +3 Earth.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 26, 2011, 01:20:50 pm »

Sometimes the RNG is just ridiculous.  I now have 6 runes.  I've found 2 potions of cure mutation this whole time.  Neither one has cured my "covers ground slowly" mutation.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:39 pm »

Yeah, it happens.

I recently (not in the tournament) had 2 games in a row where I got to Zot without finding an amulet of resist mutation, and got mutated to unplayability by the orbs of fire. One of them even went into a ziggurat in desperation, but still didn't find one.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 26, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »

Baaaaaaaahhhhh, why did I have to break my rule? (Never go berserk unless you're alone or near stairs)

Oh well, that's the closest I've ever got. Zot 5 is pretty scary, but not as scary as I was expecting. If I wasn't a complete retard there, I probably could have gotten the orb. Oh well, live and learn.
That's also the first time I've ever maxed a characters level and most of his major skills. He was pretty beefy :p
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Thornet/morgue-Thornet-20110826-230606.txt

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:47 pm »

So, I've had an...interesting run tonight.

Beginning went fine, I kept grinding my MfIE, changed from Okawaru to TSO without major problem, got a trishula out of the deal, got 4 runes, until then, no problem. Then I decided to do Pandemonium, as a TSO worshiper with some nice equipment and spells (couldn't find Ice Storm though, but I can't cast it yet anyway).
I of course made sure I had some rMut, I'm not a complete idiot. Problem is, rMut is not failproof, and I got mutated anyway. And I mean, HEAVILY mutated. We're talking about Berserk3 here. Worse, to be even able to play with Berserkitis 3, I was forced to wear an amulet of clarity most of the time. WHICH MEANT THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY ONLY SOURCE OF RESIST MUTATION MOST OF THE TIME.
And from then, it kept getting worse. I got mutation upon mutation from some damn Nexolec ninjas (I swear, it seemed that I just had to take of my Amulet of Resist Mutation to make them appear). To add insult to injury, some damn Zot Trap gave me RED mutating glow, whichj gave again some very baaaad mutations. I was a mutating wreck at this point with some nice mutations like -30%HP, Berserkitis 3, Fast Metabolism 2, Slow Healing 2. In the meantime though, I had managed to get 2 pan runes, with some very close calls in the executioners level.
Since even with exploring like, 20 pan levels, I couldn't find a way home (where I had 2 cure mutation potions), I did the only sensible thing in my situation, I tried to get to the Abyss by unwielding a distorsion weapon. Of course, when Crawl is out to get you, he doesn't give up that easily and I got mutating glow 2 or 3 times before I managed to banish myself to the Abyss.

Abyss was refreshingly straightforward, I ran for 5mn, avoided everyone (cause, y'know, berserkitis) and finally got "home". My 2 cure mutation potion couldn't of course cure everything and I still had some pretty horribles one. I had 2 options left, trying a Zig and hoping to find a potion there, or enchanting a dragon armour to get into that Trove that wanted a +4 dragon armour. I did the former, and as a gesture of mercy, RNG gave me one last cure mutation, which leave me, as of now, with a very manageable -1Str, Berserkitis 1. Berserkitis 1 is still annoying but since its recent change it's actually playable.

So, I actually survived this ordeal, and I'm still considering trying the first few levels of that zig to see if I can get rid of the last remnant of what basically made me a rotting hulk. That was...actually quite fun. Surviving when the game is obviously out to get you is quite satisfying  8)

And on the bright side, Bay12 Champion is now one the 4th Best Clan, I'm proud that this chaotic run has contributed to this  :)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:29:33 pm by Alg »

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 26, 2011, 08:48:49 pm »

I wanted to clear out Zot today, but the lag is ridiculous. I guess I'll win tomorrow.

And on the bright side, Bay12 Champion is now one the 4th Best Clan, I'm proud that this chaotic run has contributed to this  :)

2011 is the best year for our team. Everyone managed to win a game. And we still have a lot of promising characters being played.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44