Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76092 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #555 on: August 24, 2011, 11:57:30 am »

Lately my internet connection is way too jumpy ... i get disconnected every 10 to 15 minutes - also second try to post this ....
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 24, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »

Found some serious armour:
B - the +12 plate mail of Honour {Int+2}
   (You found it in an ice cave) 
Probably a bit late to start training armour for it though.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/frankhovis/frankhovis.txt

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »

a holy scourge of holy wrath already has the holy wrath brand doesn't it? adding the crushing brand from vorpalize wouldn't work? or is this weapon a special case ? if so... vorpalize won't overwrite holy wrath will it? i'd want them to stack... (i've got the scroll already i'm pretty sure)

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 24, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

Vorpalise only works on unbranded weapons (and makes temporary brands permanent).

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 24, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

the holy scourge though has it's brand built in... there is no word "of xxx"

so i'm not sure... it has the effect of holy wrath but does it have the brand of holy wrath? or is it just built in and therefore awesome? i dont really know...

also my plan was to just try the slime pits using only artifacts/empty slots/amulet resist corrosion and just fight some of the easier ones near the beginning for more xp but maybe none of them are easy? death ooze or easier tho i could prolly handle naked unless i got swarmed which i might due to the poisonous walls?

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 24, 2011, 04:26:14 pm »

Abyss is kinda boring when you do it at xp 18+, but when you get banished at lvl 13 by a Zot trap in Lair, well it's a lot more...fun. Still, my MfIE somehow managed to survive what seemed like an hour in Abyss (actually about 15mn but when spend your time fleeing and face your death at every corner it feels longer) AND ninja'd the rune while he was there. Being a merfolk with swiftness and regeneration certainly helped.

I still have that damn teleportisis since lvl 8 and it will probably kill me any moment now but hey, when the challenge is hard, success is that much sweeter.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:40 pm »

Decent session today, I cleared D:16 to D:19 and an ice cave, whilst eliminating the uniques Saint Roka, Norris and Mara. Just knowing those guys are out of the picture is greatly encouraging. Though I haven't met Boris yet.
Four days left of tournament, and I have a minimum of 13 levels left to clear (plus a jaunt in the abyss for the rune). Four levels a day should cover it, but I'll try to get ahead of schedule if I can (Elf:5 could be a profitable side-venture). It would be nice if I could put on a real burst of speed and clear the Vaults, but it would probably mean playing in an unfamiliar (and error-prone) manner.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: the deep elf priest I found next to the altar of Elyvilon was hostile to my goody-two-shoes deep dwarf. They ought to fix that - I spilled his guts all over the clean white marble to nary a whisper from the big guy upstairs.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:07:01 pm by baruk »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 24, 2011, 07:39:18 pm »

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.9/namad/namad.txt

tried to kill a bit of tomb1 realized it was too hard, tried to clear a bit of slime1 realized it was too hard, killed the remaining enemies on the vault on crypt5 including ancient lich, cleared vault8, cleared vestibule of hell...still no good source of electric resistance... can't think of anywhere else left to go except zot, any suggestions?

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 24, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Thornet/Thornet.txt

I've cleared the 3 easy branches, all the non-rune branches (I think), and I've cleared the entire normal dungeon. Am I ready for Zot? I think I have most if not all resistances covered between weapons and rings.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #564 on: August 24, 2011, 08:22:57 pm »

Attempting to seize the throne of Most Combo Highscores. Already at third place and counting.
Check out my books at O and H Books

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 25, 2011, 01:06:33 am »

totally stumped! i've cleared 2.5 floors of zot but it has taken me almost all my piety healing myself as well as 5max mp on my wand of healing when i ran out of piety (2stars left can't greater selfheal anymore)

should i just try to go for a win having no real hope? i've heard pan/hells are actually harder! should i scum abyss for more exp? any tips? does this character have any hope of winning? killing a single orb of fire required me to use like 10charges off a healing wand if not 12... tiamat is impossible and i'm leaving him be

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:48 am »

I've never played a healer, and i'm not the greatest DD player ever but it seems that you could really use some piety. Try Ctrl+F searching for weapon and ammunitions to sacrifice and look for monsters to pacify. And if you have large reserves of food, you can always wait for it to grow naturally, although that will take a while.

I guess if all else fails you could try to avoid monsters in Zot 3, 4, get to Zot5 rush the orb chamber hasted and swifted, ninja the orb and teleport out but it has every chance to get you killed. I think random tp-ing into the orb chamber is no longer possible, although it could get you closer. Divine protection might help you if go this route.

Edit : Also, I don't remember if Elyvilon disapprove lantern of shadows but if not, it would certainly help too.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:11:09 am by Alg »

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 25, 2011, 03:38:40 am »

i don't have a lot of piety because i constantly chug my piety for healing since it's my only source of healing... i've spent around 100,000turns just waiting for piety to regrow, i'm low on food, and now that i've been wand of healing myself a lot i'm down to a much lower max mp! I'm at the point where i'm saving my piety to pacify draconians ... zot5 is REALLY draining my resources!  orbs of fire ancient liches orb guardians etc I'm taking a break for the night

check out my current stats/gear if you want crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.9/namad/namad.txt  I've cleared about halfway to the orb on z5... i've cleared all of z1,2 i've cleared half z3 but tiamat is hanging out near the stairs and i haven't cleared any of z4

i can't reliably keep swiftness up, i think my best hope for z5 is to either use teleport traps to make enemies stop being in my way, to go use the last bits of my food on piety? (the problem is that i need 3stars to heal and to pacify but also the max it goes to is 5stars from waiting around so... thats a narrow band there of piety I can use before i have to go back to a safe floor and wait for a few thousand turns) or i could go back to the abyss to try to find better resistance gear? or who knows? in order to avoid an orb of fire that came near me on z5 i teleported which took me fairly near the orb (not near enough to see it) but also right next to another orb... so i teleported again... right next to ancient lich and acid draconian...teleported again back to the portion of the floor i cleared and safe... so... i MAY or MAY NOT have cleared half the floor and it might actually be possible to ninja? altho honestly i'd rather clear it and apport the thing to the stairs... we'll.. see... tomorrow? i'll prolly just end up dying instead of winning

just to be clear a little bit earlier i killed an orb of fire.. it took me about 3max mp worth of recharges and it was alone and it took ages and was hard.... killing 2or3 orbs of fire just may not even be possible! my max rF is rF++ although... actually... i can get rF+++ if i take off my platemail... do orbs of fire bypass AC? if so that might be wise?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:41:30 am by namad »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 25, 2011, 05:20:32 am »

Some things you might like to try if you are desperate... (note - I haven't tested these, so if you try them you may be even more likely to die. Think of it as Crawl science.)

With your Invocations skill you ought to be able to get some awesome powers from gods, so:

1. Convert to TSO, go kill demons in the Abyss to get your piety to the max, then go back to Zot and use summoned angels or holy fire to kill the things you're having problems with.

2. If you have a lot of cash, convert to Zin and donate to get piety up. Then use Imprison and Sanctuary to grab the orb while hopefully nothing can attack you.

3. Convert to Makhleb, go to the Abyss and kill things to gain piety, then go and use Makhleb's powers to kill things in Zot, while hopefully not suffering too much from Elivylon's wrath (which should be quite survivable.)

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:00 am »

Zot 5 is the time to use up your consumables, namely potions of resistance, might, agility, brilliance.  You'd be surprised what you can cast with brilliance.  And resistance will give you the extra fire level and give you rElec.  If you have (or can find/buy) about 3 that takes care of those problems.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44