Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!  (Read 76065 times)

Taxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Tournament 2011! Come represent Bay12!
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2011, 04:20:07 pm »

Keep pumping summoning & spellcasting, and clear the Lair with Ice Beasts. If this is where you normally die, do you have experience with the Lair?

If you can get mephitic cloud, it blends very well with ice beasts.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2011, 04:23:10 pm »

I do tend to die a bit in lair so that probably is my trouble spot. I think it may be until now have not used Ice Beasts enough.

Edit: so I tried lair but a ghost and some tough monsters where right where you enter so I had to get out and then thinking maybe just a little more so I can cast ice beast better is what I needed so tried then next dungeon level and got squashed by a wraith, a unique, and another undead.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:33:04 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sablis

• Bay Watcher
  • New account - Yunor
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2011, 05:15:39 pm »

You had an early Lair, but Lair is always easier than dungeon of equal, or even lesser depth.

If you can't do Lair because of early spiny frogs, black mambas, or other fast hard-hitters (Uniques, hydra, most ghosts, and packs of normal-speed monsters are usually not an adequate excuse, just run for the stairs), then go ahead and peek in Orc because the Dungeon can start spawning ugly thing packs, slime creatures, and centaur packs as early as D:10.

Note that this generally isn't a good idea, Orc can be tough too. Sticking with Lair is the recommended course for most characters.

If I was in your situation, I'd probably summon ice beasts next to the Lair stairs and dive back in. Ice beasts trivialize most of Lair.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2011, 06:13:13 pm »

I'm making some good progress. Silence is castable, and I've cleared a large chunk of the vaults - I could try collecting the rune.
 A shame that with 24 hours to go, my computer has decided to start crashing again.. great timing.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/frankhovis/frankhovis.txt

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 28, 2011, 12:59:33 am »

Last night's progress, the vestibule and the abyssal rune:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This evening I got a lot more done, I cleared the Vaults, Blade, Elf:5 and two levels of Crypt.
I'm going to have a short break now, and then have another attempt at Zot - this time with silence, freezing cloud and haste. In an ideal world, I'd have an artifact shield and helmet. As it is I'll just have to be careful around the yellow draconians.
And I'll just remind myself here that orbs of fire are unaffected by silence (before I do something silly).

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 28, 2011, 01:09:20 am »

Humm. Here's hoping Webtiles someday comes a bit closer to Tiles. I'm missing half the interface and it takes like .5 secs between every turn to move. Agh. I play it offline 4-5 hours a day yet I cant squeeze any time into the tourney because of how terrible it is. Is it just my internet? Do you guys with good net get no delay?

This was pretty much my situation right here, plus the fact that once the new webtiles finally did come out school was just about to start.

same with me... my 23hours played on webtiles prolly woulda been like 12-20hours in tiles

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:31 am »

My HOPr died on D:22, slain by a stone giant. There was also a dragon. The dungeon got kind of boring and I got too careless. And then my orcs decided to zerg rush everything through the whole level, and I had to follow them to avoid getting them killed. I guess I should have recalled them and rested a bit instead.

Spoiler: Highlights (click to show/hide)

Well, okay, maybe I shouldn't have eaten all those ugly thing corpses. I would have had a lot more options if it had been possible for me to take off those rings of sustAb and cTele. The game was handing me +0,+6 rings of slaying all over the place.

Anyway, HOPr is still fun, except for the thing where you have to carefully guide them through stairways. Also, it seems that they won't upgrade their weapons right now. The only way to get an orc using the lajatang of speed you found is to find an orc that isn't wielding any weapons yet.

Also, about my stats, I drew a shuffle card and it shifted all my STR to DEX. There was this totally awesome randart plate mail I would have worn if I could.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 05:45:56 am by Soadreqm »

Sablis

• Bay Watcher
  • New account - Yunor
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 28, 2011, 11:54:01 am »

Sorry to hear that.

Slaying is the most overpowered thing for melee characters and you should always wear it.

If I was you, I would have forgotten about the deterioration (I know, it's annoying) and worn an amulet of stasis for teleportitis (If you had one).

6 slaying would have turned your demon trident into a super-fast triple sword. 12 slaying would have turned it into a beast weapon better than any other weapon in the game (including exec axes and giant spiked clubs. Plus, demon tridents are much faster). With that, you would be one-shotting/two-shotting nearly everything.

With that kind of character, you could have just forgot about the orcs and won the game.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 28, 2011, 01:36:46 pm »

Heh, my zombies just killed a player ghost somewhere else on the level that I did not even know existed.

I only found out because I saw it on the tournament scoreboard.  :o :)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 28, 2011, 02:02:17 pm »

Apparently i am the most active player from my team, even though i feel like i don't have enough time for this next to work.
how much longer does the tournament go?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 28, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »

About 4 hours now.

Also, I got my first streak, I noticed that there wasn't any Mountain Dwarf win for us, which is a shame for DF players (there were Deep Dwarf wins though, those are basically dwarves with cave adaptation, right?) so I went for MDBe, and a streak is possible. It worked  :P

Alas, I fear that it won't be enough to avoid losing the 4th place on the finish line to the Iltirelate_Crawlers who have been gaining points all day from a very nice collective effort  and still have 2 high level characters playing. If someone is up for a speed run, now would be the perfect time  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:55:07 pm by Alg »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2011, 02:59:29 pm »

Hmm, no chance of me winning before the tournament ends - I'm over 5 hours on my current character and not even finished Lair.

Lacking any decent ranged attack, I seem to be spending my entire time running round after yaks that keep running away when they're almost dead, then being back to nearly full health by the time I find them again.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 28, 2011, 03:38:01 pm »

I finally pulled out the win - I've been awake 30 hours, physically broken, mentally discombobulated, but I'm happy.
This is the second win for the Blacksmiths, to match the fine efforts of our Brewers (admittedly we're still 300 points behind, but a good showing from Bay12's middle order nonetheless).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 03:46:39 pm by baruk »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2011, 04:26:54 pm »

Last minute blitz, ha! I got swap rune for the second time with ~1 1/2 hours left in the tourney :P

The chances of anything coming from this is incredibly slim. Lets see just what spamming shadow creatures all over the place can pull off!

E: Actually, I don't really feel like trying, ha. Let my last action be stealing a combo high score from Neil.

E2: So it's... over, right? Someone want to tally up how we did? Too tired :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:02:15 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sablis

• Bay Watcher
  • New account - Yunor
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 28, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »

The August 2011 tournament is complete!

Great job everyone, this tournament was a blast!

I'm sorry to say that the Iltirelate Crawlers (May Xom smite them) have beaten the Bay12 Champions 7597 to 7370.
We were still winning when there was only an hour left in the tournament, but they snuck in two wins.
Still, top 5 with 13 wins!

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44