Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955102 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2865 on: August 17, 2013, 05:31:00 pm »

Front Mission had melee, but it was all punches and piledrivers, no real "blades" or anything like that.

Not even pile-driver punches, because that's still silly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: August 18, 2013, 07:41:25 am »

Tanks with legs are also silly, though, because of basements, man holes, and storm drains.  They'll make potholes in roads, which will deny your own motor vehicles the use of those roads.  They'll be too slow to avoid man portable anti-armor weapons.  They won't be stable enough to use tank guns while moving, and will have to resort to missiles, rockets, and grenades, which take up more volume than other munitions.

I'm not saying they can't be fun in a game, but they aren't a more respectable idea than a wuxia robots or Iron Man.

I think Chrome Hounds might cover the feel that you are looking for.  Even Mechwarrior doesn't really feel like tanks, and it's the most common mecha aesthetic in the west.  Japan has enough mecha sub-genres to cover just about anything, but few are popular enough to made into games.  I'm going to say that Front Mission is closer than Mechwarrior, but still not quite walking tanks, despite the fact that the mecha are literally named as such.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: August 18, 2013, 09:26:43 am »

Except Chromehounds no longer has any multiplayer and is pretty much dead as a result. You can pick it up for four bucks though, so it is worth it, but...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: August 18, 2013, 05:21:22 pm »

A game where I can mow through dungeons that I myself can design with some limits and randomization thrown in to keep things interesting.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: August 18, 2013, 05:26:47 pm »

An online game that the host plays as an RTS and all the clients play as an FPS. The clients all have to destroy the host's base.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: August 18, 2013, 05:52:49 pm »

Well tanks with legs do are silly with current tech, at least bipedal ones, which would be extra silly anyway. However legged vehicles could theoretically be useful under some environments.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: August 18, 2013, 05:57:08 pm »

Well tanks with legs do are silly with current tech, at least bipedal ones, which would be extra silly anyway. However legged vehicles could theoretically be useful under some environments.

Legged vehicles have no purpose. Better just to use helicopters or something.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: August 18, 2013, 06:07:56 pm »

Legged vehicles have no purpose. Better just to use helicopters or something.

That bothered me quite a lot about Metal Gear Solid. They said REX could launch from anywhere in the world, but what happens in the mountains...?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: August 18, 2013, 06:11:09 pm »

Legged vehicles have no military purpose. They can be very useful if you need to move heavy things around.
._.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: August 18, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »

Legged vehicles have no military purpose. They can be very useful if you need to move heavy things around.
Sounds like someone's never heard of logistics.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: August 18, 2013, 07:39:41 pm »

Melee mechs aren't silly because of unrealism (well they are, but again so are mechs in general), they're silly because they don't have the feel. I'm not exactly looking for realism (just quasi-realism), I'm looking for a real heavy-vehicular combat feel. The most "mobile-suit" thing I'd want would be high-powered piston legs with which to jump the tank and gooba-stomp the shit out of enemies and destructible environments.

Actually, quadrupedal or hexapodal vehicles would be good for maneuvering through sloped areas while limiting erosion, requiring far less energy than aircraft (which need constant energy to stay airborne, and can't maneuver through forests well). They're actually part of plans for sustainable timber harvesting.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: August 18, 2013, 11:56:54 pm »

I'd like to see a space policing game where you play as head of internal affairs combating criminal organizations and the political protection they bribe. At the same time not look  weak because space emperor Stalin will consider you a traitor and hang you...with space piano wires.

You mental fucking fucking.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: August 19, 2013, 01:50:12 am »

A game where I can mow through dungeons that I myself can design with some limits and randomization thrown in to keep things interesting.
Master of the Monster Lair for NDS is pretty much just this. You build a dungeon to attract monsters then go through it and kill them. I can't remember if there was any randomization but if there was it was probably minimal. I didn't really like it but you may want to give it a try.

On the topic of mechs, Battlefield 2142 had "Battle Walkers" which filled the role of light, maneuverable anti-infantry/anti-air vehicle. They didn't replace tanks and were at a disadvantage against them in a straight fight but filled their own role on the battlefield fairly well since they could move over and between obstacles better than tanks and take cover better than aircraft.

EDIT:Apparently there's also a Dungeon Maker series for PSP by the same company as Master of the Monster Lair but I havn't played any of them so I can't comment on their quality/funness.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:06:07 am by Leonon »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: August 19, 2013, 02:08:49 am »

That sounds pretty good, too, for mech gameplay.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: August 19, 2013, 04:01:00 am »

To expand on the Dungeon Maker/Master of the Monster Lair-esque concept. (I was writing this from a phone yesterday, so I couldn't write a whole lot)

At first you are thrown into a tutorial dungeon that teaches you the basics of the game as well as give you a steady cache of points to build later dungeons with. The game is point-based and indirectly also a score-attacking game. But that doesn't matter for now.

You can build tunnels, place doors (the more secure doors cost less points, ironically), place random monster entities (you can place a "Random Level 1 Monster x5" (which could be imps or could be ork boyz) and stuff like that), place random treasure chests (and put random items, like "Level 2 Fire Spell (which could be a Fireball or Magma Floor) & Level 3 Bow (which could be a Magical Bow or Steel Bow) + 20 Arrows (Iron/Poisoned/Fire) + 100-350 gold", all of which cost you points to place). You get extra points if you place pre-determined layouts (labyrinths, disadvantageous positions for the player etc.). You get more points for combo kills (as you'd expect), and bonus points for finishing the dungeons within a certain timeframe (which you yourself can set - the reward is inversely proportional to the time you set), and bonus points if the dungeon has a non-standard objective (kill the boss under X minutes, don't take any damage for X minutes etc.).

You can also upload your dungeons online for people to play. You get a certain percentage of their points when they play your dungeon. (with some limitations to prevent abuse of the system)

You can use all those points to expand your dungeon, build a new dungeon (or add a new level to the existing one) or upgrade your character.

You get less points for winning dungeons made by players of lower levels than you and more for defeating levels of higher-level players. (again with some limits put to stop point farming)

Includes leaderboards, daily challenges and other modern riff raff to keep things interesting and give a sense of competition.
Also includes some magitech or even Might and Magic-esque sci-fi backdrop for all the fancy endgame goodness.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:13:41 am by DarkDXZ »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 577