Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955178 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2895 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:31 am »

I wish I could find a good, large MMO with more realistic distribution of NPCs. 

You want me to go and get you 10 wolf livers?  Sure, but I'd like to go find the wolves in some sort of den, or maybe a solitary wolf out hunting a deer or something.  Not "walk outside of village and find uniform groups of three wolves spaced equally apart across this large field". 

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »

You don't want a wolf den, it would be the same thing as the field but a dungeon.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: August 23, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »

You don't want a wolf den, it would be the same thing as the field but a dungeon.
den =/= mammoth cave system

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: August 23, 2013, 12:29:11 pm »

Except in RPG's. It would probably be a small dungeon, though. But you know that's what they'd do.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 23, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »

Or you can wait for DF to get to that point, where a village calls for your help to destroy a band of thieves/pack of wolves/monsters and you have to start a man/animal/monster hunt tracking them from the clues they left the last time they attacked, and then track them down across half a country.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: August 23, 2013, 01:02:35 pm »

Asking here so that maybe someone knows the answer.

Are there any games like Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy Wars? NOT in the sense of Tactical RPG, but in the sense of 'Marry X with Y, obtain Z who can then be married with P to obtain son/daughter L that has a line of abilities/defects dependent on the father/mother pair. Sort of like the 'Pokémon' breeding stuff.

Basically, a life simulation where you need to do this in order to 'fight off' someone/something big bad. (If that doesn't exist, then something extremely customizable like Disgaea 2 for creating classes and fighting)
The Dragon Quest Monsters/Dragon Warrior Monsters series does something like this. It's similar to Pokemon in that you go around getting a team of monsters to join you in fighting other monsters. In Dragon Warrior Monsters:2 for GBC you could combine monsters who joined your team (losing both combined monsters) and get a new monster of a different type. I can't remember how attacks are handled but with proper combining it's possible to get a vastly more powerful monster than either of the combined monsters. Dragon Quest Monsters:Joker for NDS makes combining monsters a mostly linear progression which prevents the extreme improvements possible in 2.

The Shin Megami Tensei series has a similar system, but with more Hell. The only one I spent much time on was Strange Journey for NDS and it let you recruit demons for your party. There may have been angels too, but I'll just call them all demons for now. You could only have one of each type of demon at a time but you could combine them to get more powerful demons. It's possible to combine two weak demons into an extremely powerful one but you couldn't have a demon of higher level than yourself in your party so there was a limit to what you can do early on.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:24:38 pm by Leonon »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: August 23, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »

My dream last night was actually about DF having multiplayer for Adventure Mode. Although I definitely wish that was a thing, I know it's probably not going to actually happen in DF until far in the future, if ever.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »

That would be quite awesome :o

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: August 23, 2013, 01:44:08 pm »

Multiplayer and turnbasedness are a bit hard to reconcile well. It works okay (but not perfectly) when you have a small party, but there's a reason there are very, very few turn-based MMOs.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: August 23, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »

Asking here so that maybe someone knows the answer.

Are there any games like Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy Wars? NOT in the sense of Tactical RPG, but in the sense of 'Marry X with Y, obtain Z who can then be married with P to obtain son/daughter L that has a line of abilities/defects dependent on the father/mother pair. Sort of like the 'Pokémon' breeding stuff.

Basically, a life simulation where you need to do this in order to 'fight off' someone/something big bad. (If that doesn't exist, then something extremely customizable like Disgaea 2 for creating classes and fighting)

Massive Chalice comes to mind, though it's not out yet.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 23, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »

Multiplayer and turnbasedness are a bit hard to reconcile well. It works okay (but not perfectly) when you have a small party, but there's a reason there are very, very few turn-based MMOs.

I imagine it'd be a few people playing it together as a group, or maybe a Spore-like thing where players can drop in and out of eachother's worlds without being a permanent resident (that's how Spore works, right? Never played it myself). That way players can take turns without getting too bogged down, or in the latter case they don't even have to be in the same area and never need to know the other person is in their world.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: August 23, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

No, that's how Dark Souls works. Spore just has other people's creations show up as AI's in your world.

I think it would be more like a CRPG, too, where you have 1-6 people playing the DF world at once and each has to specify their action before the "turn" proceeds.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:41 am »

Bullet Hell FPS.  Players can fire a ton of projectiles that move very slowly.  On the defensive side they have access to abilities that allow them to multijump, access temporary no-clip style flying, explosion jump, destroy enemy projectiles, become invincible to specific kinds of projectiles, that kind of thing.  On the offensive side players have abilities that let them charge attacks to fire more projectiles, lay down explosives that release clouds of projectiles on detonation, fire unusually large projectiles, shoot their own projectiles in midair to change their path or cause them to split, or mix weapons of different speeds (fire a slow gun then fire a fast one so they both reach the enemy at the same time) all with the goal of making a wall of bullets.

Imagine weaving through a wall of bullets in first person while performing crazy TF2 style jumps and laying down your own bullet wall.  The main problem I can think of with this idea is that lag could absolutely KILL it, but with low playercounts and an attempt to match players based on location lag could probably be minimized.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2908 on: August 24, 2013, 05:29:38 am »

...The main problem I can think of with this idea is that lag could absolutely KILL it, but with low playercounts and an attempt to match players based on location lag could probably be minimized.
Not necessarily, depends on how many projectiles there are and how the updates are managed across the connection. Using a delta update there would probably be, per bullet, 6 floating point values to update position and velocity. There would be an instance/destroy as well per bullet once each during the lifetime of the bullet. Graphically, they could probably be done with billboard sprites, which is pretty cheap considering they can be batched together the majority of the time during drawing down to one draw call per few thousand instances of a bullet type. 50k bullets would be somewhere around 1-2kB/update, probably 15-30 physics updates per second so 30-60kB/s downstream there. There are other factors that will drive up the server->client update costs, but bullets shouldn't be one of them. Upstream costs would be altered primarily by how many bullets you are pumping out at any given time, along with a mostly constant cost for updating the server on your character's movement/orientation information and the character's actions.
Hopefully that makes sense and isn't completely wrong. I suspect I am glossing over some stuff, but I think it is relatively accurate >.>
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 24, 2013, 06:45:26 am »

You can also pre-instance a whole bunch of bullets as an array at load and just keep them off the screen. Teleport them onto the screen when needed, and when not needed, teleport them off the screen and set their velocity to 0.

Plus you can also process the bullets client side, only sending messages when things are created or destroyed. Obviously expoitable though.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 577