Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 955205 times)

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2850 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:22 pm »

A game where you can go around dig deep underground, and then go right into space, Blocks like minecraft, and A ridiculous RS crafting system  With A combat system like Eve in space, and minecraft ground combat.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 16, 2013, 10:37:40 pm »

No, minecraft combat sucks.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 17, 2013, 12:01:05 am »

I would which for a strategy game that would be like a mix of Europa Universalis and Civilization with a tad of Total War in the strategic part but featuring not only a single planet but hundreds of them, and their respective star systems. A turn based strategy game.

With Total War like battles for land and sea battles and Homeworld like battles for the space ones. Or real time tactical game.

With a research system akin to the one of Space Empires V and overall feel of Emperor of the Falling Suns. Where population and resources are taken into account in a local way. No magic piles of resources, if you have steel in one side of the planet and a vehicle in the other side or even in another planet, there must be a way of taking the steel from point A to B.

Oh and with a custom array of design for infantry gear and vehicles load out, but also even buildings and races themselves, like Spore but not aimed at 5 years old, something serious looking. Where in the case of vehicles each design really affects it's performance and fire arcs and such. And borrowing a little from SotS where prototype vehicles have more cost and some vehicles are really nice while sometimes others are kind of lemons. As you progress in technology new types of components, hulls and vehicles are available.

As for the infantry, you get to not only choose the uniform and weapon load out, but can make several types of infantry and then the squad, platoon and company load out. For the individual soldier imagine something along the lines of the Dawn of War army painter but with the Firestorm Over Kronus mod weapons choices, but instead of just painting you choose which weapons they carry and what kind of uniform they use for desert, urban, ice, jungle and so environments, the weapons they will use and their combat behavior. Also while at it, as with the vehicles, you get more things as your tech progress.

As with the infantry squads and companies system, an army and fleet load out system should be used, so instead of you needing to recruit everything individually you can have an template and recruit whole armies and fleets on the whim of a click, the game recruiting and commissioning the vehicles from the nearest/most suitable/convenient planets, factories and shipyards.

And last but not least, a proper naming system for ships, where you can customize if they get random names (from generic or custom lists), numbers or both, and their class and design type are also made clear and if any or all of this is written on the hull or not, where the first of a class can auto get it's class name if you choose to. The same go for army naming, specifically for squad, platoon and company levels.

Graphic wise I would not be much concerned. Something along the lines of Dawn of War level of graphics would be nice but I would be happy even if is something in 2D, however I have heard that even when 2D is less demanding to the machine, quality 2d graphics (Starcraft 1, Age of Empires comes to mind) are actually harder to make than 3d.

Yes. So much yes. Yes, yes, yes. Too bad the market for that game would be INCREDIBLY niche, though I think if they made a functional AI similar to Distant World's that you can switch on and off for every feature as you please, it'd make it less tedious in terms of micromanagement. As for graphics, so long as they were made in a way so as to be easy to comprehend, I'd be fine with ASCII-like graphics. Or low-res 2D (maybe something like Dominions sprites?), even.

I REALLY want that game to happen; it's the exact type of gameplay I've been daydreaming about for years. It's a sci-fi/Grand Strategy geek's holiest wet dream of a game, really.  :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 17, 2013, 01:55:13 am »

I would which for a strategy game that would be like a mix of Europa Universalis and Civilization with a tad of Total War in the strategic part but featuring not only a single planet but hundreds of them, and their respective star systems. A turn based strategy game.

With Total War like battles for land and sea battles and Homeworld like battles for the space ones. Or real time tactical game.

With a research system akin to the one of Space Empires V and overall feel of Emperor of the Falling Suns. Where population and resources are taken into account in a local way. No magic piles of resources, if you have steel in one side of the planet and a vehicle in the other side or even in another planet, there must be a way of taking the steel from point A to B.

Oh and with a custom array of design for infantry gear and vehicles load out, but also even buildings and races themselves, like Spore but not aimed at 5 years old, something serious looking. Where in the case of vehicles each design really affects it's performance and fire arcs and such. And borrowing a little from SotS where prototype vehicles have more cost and some vehicles are really nice while sometimes others are kind of lemons. As you progress in technology new types of components, hulls and vehicles are available.

As for the infantry, you get to not only choose the uniform and weapon load out, but can make several types of infantry and then the squad, platoon and company load out. For the individual soldier imagine something along the lines of the Dawn of War army painter but with the Firestorm Over Kronus mod weapons choices, but instead of just painting you choose which weapons they carry and what kind of uniform they use for desert, urban, ice, jungle and so environments, the weapons they will use and their combat behavior. Also while at it, as with the vehicles, you get more things as your tech progress.

As with the infantry squads and companies system, an army and fleet load out system should be used, so instead of you needing to recruit everything individually you can have an template and recruit whole armies and fleets on the whim of a click, the game recruiting and commissioning the vehicles from the nearest/most suitable/convenient planets, factories and shipyards.

And last but not least, a proper naming system for ships, where you can customize if they get random names (from generic or custom lists), numbers or both, and their class and design type are also made clear and if any or all of this is written on the hull or not, where the first of a class can auto get it's class name if you choose to. The same go for army naming, specifically for squad, platoon and company levels.

Graphic wise I would not be much concerned. Something along the lines of Dawn of War level of graphics would be nice but I would be happy even if is something in 2D, however I have heard that even when 2D is less demanding to the machine, quality 2d graphics (Starcraft 1, Age of Empires comes to mind) are actually harder to make than 3d.

Yes. So much yes. Yes, yes, yes. Too bad the market for that game would be INCREDIBLY niche, though I think if they made a functional AI similar to Distant World's that you can switch on and off for every feature as you please, it'd make it less tedious in terms of micromanagement. As for graphics, so long as they were made in a way so as to be easy to comprehend, I'd be fine with ASCII-like graphics. Or low-res 2D (maybe something like Dominions sprites?), even.

I REALLY want that game to happen; it's the exact type of gameplay I've been daydreaming about for years. It's a sci-fi/Grand Strategy geek's holiest wet dream of a game, really.  :P

That would be amazing. Someone needs to make it, now. I'd just throw money at a project like that.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 17, 2013, 09:21:56 am »

Mirror's Edge but with the PC incapable of fighting outside of cutscenes. And the game maps edited to suit that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 17, 2013, 10:18:57 am »

Being on a Mac I was late to the X-Com: Enemy Unknown party but after seeing the cyberdisks in action what I wanted was a Ghost In The Shell total conversion mod for this game. Anyway, I remembered that just now.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 17, 2013, 10:54:06 am »

A Warhammer 40k total conversion mod for classic X-Com. That or a WH40k WAD for DOOM.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 17, 2013, 04:22:02 pm »

A mecha game that's... premecha. When mecha were very first starting to hit the battlefields, and everything was very much a prototype.

You're a ground troop, part of a higher-level clandestine group. The story happens in "flashbacks", where you're telling your story to a therapist (It later turns out that some aspects of the story were false as you told them, and you're in a secret military "loony bin" of sorts). The first missions are hands-on spy missions, where you use your various tools to see what's going on and how far your enemy has made it into mecha research. It turns out they're as far as you are, and destroying their prototype goes south...

The fourth mission, post forced-failure third "destroy prototype", takes place in a prisoner-of-war camp. Your goal is to escape, but you take note of things that will later be very important- strange medical devices, a strange amount of bodies without brains, and many other details that were actually "added" (psycho, remember), on your way out. You'll have a chance to fight or slip out undetected nearer the end, but getting caught before you're armed is a death sentence. This is not on rails, and you are allowed to attack without a weapon- a lone guard with a pistol might be a good target.

The next few missions are you trying to get out of a very hostile place. This is also the first turning point in the story, where your choice affects the rest of the story.

---

In the end, all the "changed" things are revealed as to what they really were- the camp didn't have half of what you described, but rather, you add details from a later mission where you learn what the enemy are doing, and the ethical issues- they're taking POWs, injured soldiers, and anyone with combat experience, taking and "reprogramming" their brains, and putting them in the mecha as "drones", bypassing the difficult-to-control mechs that few can pilot with any skill at all.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 17, 2013, 04:24:38 pm »

You quite like Mecha, Tsuchigumo.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 17, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »

I'd like more mech games, and more "Walking tank", less "Robot suit"  because you might as well be a normal person fighting tiny enemies if you move mostly like a person.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 17, 2013, 04:31:28 pm »

Yeah, which is why I'm so sad about Front Mission basically ending. You weren't god mode, you could be taken out if you tried to rambo, a TANK could kill you and you were supposed to be the end-all tool of war.

You DID have the fact you were in a cool ass mech, but the only way to get near 1:1 movement was to undergo neural interfacing that, if you weren't REALLY REALLY compatible with, would drive you insane and render part of your brain useless.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 17, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »

the only way to get near 1:1 movement was to undergo neural interfacing that, if you weren't REALLY REALLY compatible with, would drive you insane and render part of your brain useless.
Worth it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 17, 2013, 04:47:40 pm »

Seriously, though, I don't want to play giant robots with katanas. I want something that looks and handles like a tank with added legs so it can get over all those collapsed buildings. At the very most, some kind of high powered jumping pistons or jets that should make a mess on taking off or landing, but no melee weapons, no kung-fu.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 17, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »

Front Mission had melee, but it was all punches and piledrivers, no real "blades" or anything like that.

Also, they eventually had a system where the damaged parts of your mind would be taken over by an AI so you weren't a fucking vegetable... Rankings were from:

A+, to where you generally remain you, to...

G, where you lose over 80% of your mind and are basically reprogrammed to be a clone.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 17, 2013, 05:23:41 pm »

I really don't understand the whole 'meaningful customization = optimization problem' thing.
If that were true, I could ask you what, in real life, is the best gun. Or the best car. Or the best computer.

Any system that has an optimal result is badly designed, nothing more or less. It sure as heck isn't "inevitable". Devs just need to put thought into the... I guess one could call them 'laws of physics' in a game world rather than trying to start from five defined playstyles and adding sliders between them.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 577