Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 246

Author Topic: Dota 2  (Read 239729 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Dota 2
« Reply #1905 on: February 14, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »

Every so often I see people talking about how Hand of Midas is useless after 7 minutes or you shouldn't get it unless you are stomping.

It's weird because it makes no logical sense. Maybe it's because most people only see Midas for 1/2 of what it does. It's like looking at an Armlet and only thinking it gives strength and that's it. The greatest aspect of Hand of Midas in my opinion isn't the gold but the gigantic exp gain. It's huge.

When Naix gets a Hand of Midas, it really isn't to accelerate his farm. That's merely a side effect. He can get it at minute 10 and still roflstomp your team later. This is because he's 3 levels higher than you from using Midas on the hard camps. When I see people using the Midas on melee or ranged creeps I just feel sad. They are the ones complete wasting the gigantic exp gain.

This is why I always... ALWAYS get Midas on carries that carry by virtue of levels and not items. Dragon Knight, Doombringer, Drow Ranger, Lone Druid, etc. They're literally useless at low levels anyway, so it doesn't hurt them at all to get Midas regardless of what time it is. On the other hand you get carries that get stronger based on their gold income such as Alchemist and Phantom Assassin. Then there's not much point buying Midas on those guys as the GPM increase isn't all that fantastic.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 14, 2013, 01:52:55 pm »

Don't forget the slight increase in Lifestealer OM NOM NOM speed! :D

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:02 pm »

I think it's the same as Treads, which is 30%. Pretty good.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 14, 2013, 02:00:14 pm »

I pity pudge players who try fight the Lifestealer....

Hand of Midas is often undervalued :/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:13:34 pm by Kalemyr Skyfire »
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 14, 2013, 02:10:38 pm »

Yeah I figured midas was mostly for the exp too. Otherwise why would pros use it so much and often keep it all game.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:21 pm »

Yet another item I get to not try as a support :P

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 14, 2013, 04:03:20 pm »

I only get it if I can really use the AS. I'm kinda against losing early stats in exchange of more later in the game.

the other case is if I can farm it in less than 5 min for that amusing "Midas a big creep, get a free level". Which means only when I play doom top (That guy farms like crazy with the big camp nearby).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:37 pm »

Yeah I figured midas was mostly for the exp too. Otherwise why would pros use it so much and often keep it all game.
Yup. And you'll see them getting it at minute 12 or even minute 15 after their boots.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 14, 2013, 06:19:08 pm »

It's probably because back in the day (it's not that old, 6.69 I think, and it's been buffed again since), Midas was indeed pretty much useless unless you got it very fast, because it only gave gold (and less than now i think). Also it gave different amounts of gold depending on the target. Now it's much better and you get it mostly for the fast xp in early game, and then the steady amount of gold it gives you throughout the game (until you sell it to get the slot for a big item). But old habits die hard, and Hand of midas is still viewed as a useless pub item, just like battlefury was not that long ago.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 14, 2013, 06:22:53 pm »

After tonight games, I'm remembering the time when gyro was released, when everybody said how subpar and useless he was. Funny times.

Also, NTH picked bloodseeker and went for 5 force staff. Laughs ensued.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:32:23 pm by ranter »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 14, 2013, 06:37:15 pm »

After tonight games, I'm remembering the time when gyro was released, when everybody said how subpar and useless he was. Funny times.

Also, NTH picked bloodseeker and went for 5 force staff. Laughs ensued.
Yeah. I'm pretty embarrassed about that haha. Though I remember saying he was really good a few days later though hehehe.

The Defense games today were really bizarre. I felt like I was watching a bunch of pub games with 3 kills per minute.

Alg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 14, 2013, 06:52:00 pm »

You got me worried a bit...

Gyro is a decent hero but he doesn't really shine in any aspect of the game, and you will pretty much always want a Windrunner, a Leshrac, an Invoker (as examples of heroes that can do everything quite well) rather than him. I could see him as a surprise pick, though.

Whew, it's not that bad  :P

Although to be fair, he's been buffed quite a bit since (and the popular heroes back then were nerfed):

6.76 - Rocket Barrage damage increased from 11/14/17/20 to 11/15/19/23
6.76 - Homing Missile distance required for max damage reduced from 2000 to 1500
6.76 - Homing Missile stun duration rescaled from 2.5 to 2.2/2.4/2.6/2.8
6.75 - Movement speed increased from 305 to 315
6.75 - Flak Cannon AoE increased from 800 to 1000
6.75 - Call Down AoE increased from 400 to 450

Those are not huge buffs (the flak cannon AoE is pretty insane now though), but they add up.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 14, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »

Another day, another fun all random game to talk about. The great thing about the mode is that you constantly get weird games and you're almost always tossed out of your comfort zone. Such as this game:

Essentially my team got a very weird comp. Clockwerk, Omniknight, Beastmaster, Necrolyte and Lina. As you can see we had no carry, barely any pushing power, and zero dps. The enemy team was significantly better balanced with bullshit heroes like Batrider and Sven in the mix.

We kinda stomped the laning phase, which wasn't too hard considering we're all either gankers or supports. But the fun part was how we transitioned. At about the 10th minute we were all somehow grouped up together as 5-man dota pushing like mad. No one really said anything, guess everyone just realized that if we didn't push soon we were going to be completely boned.

Even more fun was how we would 5 man push straight into the enemy rax nonstop because we had so much heal. Necro heal spam + Omni heal spam + mek + 2 arcane boots = neverending push. So even if it took us so freaking long to kill towers... the enemy just couldn't stop us because of the nonstop heal. The many times they tried to stop us, it basically amounted to all of us running around in circles healing each other while they slowly died to whatever small amount of dps we could put out. So fights would take forever, but halfway through the enemy would realize they couldn't kill a single one of us but at the same time... couldn't escape. Not to mention once any of them got below 50% hp, Lina or Necro could instagib them.

So we did this for every single lane. It was hilarious. Neverending push with the all random heal sustain comp.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/125639448

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 15, 2013, 06:18:56 am »

Sounds like having a voltron late game in awesomenauts. That guy takes down towers by outhealing the damage they do to the creeps.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:03 am »

"We had no carry"
"I don't know why everyone thinks Necrolyte isn't a carry"

;)

Still, very impressive
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 246