Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 107

Author Topic: Space Wizard RTD: Rolls.  (Read 86055 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Space Wizard RTD
« Reply #540 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:03 am »

Kayle put away the tachyon gun in favor of her laser rifle and approached what was left of the enemy combatants. "Throw down your arms or die," she warned.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 21, 2011, 02:11:49 am »

It's pretty difficult to come up with an interesting course of actions to follow.
Um. That's not exactly what I had in mind when posting that message. What I meant was, even if the players could do nothing but 'follow the leader' or 'keep waiting', it's common etiquette for every participant to post their actions sooner or later, since missing actions are known to delay forum games. And when the thread is hanging on the second page three days after the last post, it's pretty hard not to remind the players who didn't post anything yet.
Come to think of it, the post I made is missing what I just said. I must have edited it out in the process. Whoops?

Spellcrafting is the skill used for adding *anything* to a spell. The roll used for adding something to a spell determines how the intended effect is applied, as well as how the penalties are applied.
Niiiice.
So, can the player define side-effects themselves, provided there is a reason for such a combination of effect and side-effect?
When a Spellcrafting roll gets a [6], is it(generally speaking) worse or better than a [4]?

"Excellent aim, colleagues," said Amatin, putting extra stress on the word 'colleagues' and gesturing the rest of the group to text each other instead of talking, "But I must say that one of us has to rethink her definition of 'stealth attack'. Shooting the enemy through the door with a ridiculously slow tachyon bolt is as stealthy as knocking before entering; waiting until they're distracted by my attack would have been a better choice - at least they would be staggering from the explosion. Ah well, no reason to read a lecture. It all worked out in the end, didn't it?"
He turned to the captives. "Hello there. In case you're wondering why an infiltration team is aboard your flagship, you should hear the news of the hour: an unidentified Ross fleet has attacked the Centauri Academy without a warning or declaration of war. What's worse, the attack happened in the midst of a graduation ceremony. Unsurprisingly, right now the Academy houses influental civilians from all over the galaxy, who will be killed in the attack - unless someone stops it, that is. That's what we're here for... officially, at least."
"Unofficially, our goal includes such an important task as finding the person who set things in motion. Since such a sanctimonious action would give Cyrians and Aroth a reason to join the war against the Ross, we're pretty sure that whoever's behind it is no politician - perhaps it's someone from the army. Could any of you tell me who's in charge of this mission? Is it the fleet's admiral or someone higher up?"

Bluff the captives into believing we're the good guys here. Ask a harmless question to unwind the atmosphere. Meanwhile, reload with Heat-Seeking Missiles and gather the guns into a pile.
If any of the soldiers try something funny, Lobotomize the troublemakers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:47:47 pm by HmH »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 21, 2011, 04:36:29 am »

And thus my plan to get someone to craft anything equipment fails again...
Wait huh? I'm building an explosive how is that not equipment?

Unless your being sarcastic, and if you are I am confused.

If you aren't I am still confused.

I'm talking about weapons and stuff. I've said a bit much already though. There's a really really simple way you can get up there though. Just saying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

--------

When a Spellcrafting roll gets a [6], is it(generally speaking) worse or better than a [4]?

Getting a 6 on the positive effect would probably make the side effect worse but amplify the effect.
Getting a 6 on the side-effect and... I'll have to think about that. Maybe the side effect adds to the effect? Such as, for example, a 6 on a fireball spell's side effect would be that both the user and the target are automatically set on fire?

That would be the fun way to do it. The boring way would be that there is no side effect at all. :)

Nice.
Can the player define side-effects themselves, provided there is a reason for such a combination of effect and side-effect?

Yes, and I would advise doing so as your side effect is probably going to be more preferable to a random one.
Unless you get a 6! Then your own side effect doesn't get implemented, but a different one occurs. :)

--------

Question for all: Mana bars. Lame, yes, but there are two ways I can think of to limit excessive spell usage.
1) Mana bar.
2) Have spells apply debuffs to the user unless the user has abilities or skills preventing this.

Leaning towards the second, since it would make HmH's points a little more relevant.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:42:27 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:19 am »

o.O That is it the gun is the answer. That, and explosives of course !!! :P Hey I can still give the others a distraction for a little while.

EDIT: Can I get a mini-turn for the following action: Hacking into the Intercom system on the ship
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:42:19 am by adwarf »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 21, 2011, 04:54:20 am »

Still not getting it. Hint, you can reconstruct anything to a simpler form. A minigun with high quality parts is a great starting point.

--------

[6] Zakroff looked around for a control panel. The nearest one was apparently there to control the hangar door for one of the launch pads.

He waltzed over to it, booted it up, and pressed the key button--which would bring him to a simple password screen.

He thought of multiple ways to break in.

First he kicked it. This did nothing.

Afterwards, he decided he would open up the back of the panel. He looked around inside the panel for something important-looking. Pulling said important-looking thing, and then putting it back in, Zakroff checked the panel's screen for any changes.
It had reset into recovery mode, complete with a console!

[4] Next thing to do was to crack the password. This would be a bit tricky... as he lacked any sort of hacking software.
But he had a better idea than to panic. He went to another launch pad, ripped one of its control panels off, and focused his mind on it. The panel morphed before him into a smaller device with a connection port on the side. Attaching it to the control panel he was trying to hack, Zakroff connected to the port using the command line.

Run crack.exe y/n?
>y
Crack.exe
zzz
zz
&$$*

With that, the screen degraded into a mess of numbers. That didn't seem to work. Or did it?
He rebooted the panel again, this time into regular mode. Now, upon pressing the key button, it gave a message:

"Password corrupted."

That was all. Tapping the screen once dispelled the message and brought up a desktop interface with a command line and browser as well as other goodies.

--------

Just saying, don't underestimate your abilities. You can reconstruct anything if the final product is simpler than the original. In fact, you might level up with the ability and be  able to make more complex stuff later on.

You can also get fancy perks that help you in combat based off the ability.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:47 am »

:P Are there any fighters in the hanger? :P

EDIT: Also that is what I planned to do with his gun though I was going to rig it up as an auto-turret. It seems I'll be providing the opening for the rest of the Academy Graduates to take over the ship.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 05:11:53 am by adwarf »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 21, 2011, 07:45:35 am »

Jaffar nodded, watching the pair leave.

"Eh, I detected a slight malfunction in the computer system caused by the battle damage-I was ordered to access it, only for a moment. It's only a small thing, stupid glitches, but they need me to take a look at it.

But uh, where is the computer room? I was caught in an explosion and got disoriented...sorry, I'm new at all this."

Jaffar made sure to lower his head and shuffle his feet like an inexperienced recruit.

Action: Try to con my way toward the Computer room.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 22, 2011, 04:06:27 pm »

Question for all: Mana bars. Lame, yes, but there are two ways I can think of to limit excessive spell usage.
Define 'excessive'. Has the group used magic excessively in the past 30 turns? What makes you think we would do so in the future? Moreso, what makes you think that with spell system as malleable as it is now, strict rules for limiting magic are even necessary?
Right now the biggest magic-related issue as I see it is that it's underused; said problem seems to be caused by a lack of obvious ways to learn new spells.

1) Mana bar.
Mana bars are trouble. Lots of complications, lots of little problems that will look like huge flaws in an otherwise well-made system. Not to mention that they're somewhat clumsy in terms of having to refresh them on a regular basis.
For example, here's one of the problems with mana bars: how exactly are you going to replenish mana? With an action, like 'rest' or 'meditate'? With potions? Automatically over time? All three solutions have uneasy questions attached, such as 'how to keep track of all that regeneration while going over the sheets?', 'how and how often should players get mana potions?' and 'how to make meditation lucrative enough for players to take it over other actions?'.

2) Have spells apply debuffs to the user unless the user has abilities or skills preventing this.
I'm fine with short debuffs. Any penalty longer than three turns changes(in my opinion) from a gameplay-induced challenge into a crippling disability - which is, of course, something to be avoided in case of such an oft-used tool as magic.
And, of course, there will be problems with the execution of the whole idea. First problem: sheets will get messy once everyone starts flinging spells like the wizards they are. Second problem: writing debuffs takes time and ideas, especially when compared to not writing debuffs. Third problem: current system of countdowns is too clumsy to be implemented en masse, it'll need a slight overhaul to remove the necessity of refreshing them every turn. Fourth problem: having to make up more debuffs as people make more spells... well, you get what I mean. Itty-bitty little problems that will keep weighing you down.

Overall answer to your question: make sure you really need to bother with limiting mechanisms like mana or spellcasting-caused debuffs before you integrate any. My opinion is that such mechanisms are unnecessary and won't be worth the effort of maintainin them.

Leaning towards the second, since it would make HmH's points a little more relevant.
Points? What are these points thou speakest of?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:16:13 pm by HmH »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 22, 2011, 10:39:24 pm »

Define 'excessive'. Has the group used magic excessively in the past 30 turns? What makes you think we would do so in the future? Moreso, what makes you think that with spell system as malleable as it is now, strict rules for limiting magic are even necessary?
Right now the biggest magic-related issue as I see it is that it's underused; said problem seems to be caused by a lack of obvious ways to learn new spells.

Yes, that is in fact true. it's not an issue right now but I can imagine it will become an issue with some of the later morphs of people's power. Forget about this.

Points? What are these points thou speakest of?
[/quote]

The fact that you can choose the weakness given by a spell.

Anyways, we need Errol and Talarion. If neither want to do anything, then that's fine. Just let me know.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 23, 2011, 01:49:42 am »

Follow Jaffar!
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 23, 2011, 03:09:27 am »

Continue to hold arrows on string in threatening fashion. Let them fly as soon as enemies attempt to retaliate.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 26, 2011, 04:35:03 am »

Merry Christmas everybody!

Roll 32

Locations:

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

Events:

"And now you, Mr..." the technician continued.
[5] Caplus responded. "Purple. Caplus Purple is the name."
"Alright then Mr. Purple, we should be going now."

With that, the technician signaled the two officers to stay put. Saying no more, he walked over to the left wing of the central hub, removing his security card as he walked. Caplus, eyeing the card, came up with a plan. He checked back to make sure the other two weren't in trouble. He saw Jaffar asking for directions from the guards. Perfect. They suspected nothing.

Caplus followed the technician through the left wing hallway and into the lab's main room.

---

Following Caplus' departure, Jaffar began to plead with the officer to acquire the location of a room where the ship's main computer is.
[3] "Eh, sir..." he began, catching the guard's attention. He attempted to sound as meek and subordinate as possible.
"I detected a slight glitch in the computer's engine fail-safes. Looking through the statuses, I noticed that the failsafes that are supposed to cut off fuel supply to the ship's downed engines are not active. I'll need to head to the computer room. I think it would be best if I looked at the computer's controls to "
"The main computer, you say? I think I have clearance to enter that room. Let me walk you over there. Just don't let the others know--security protocols are starting to get pretty strict, like 'no letting people in restricted areas for more than five minutes at a time without an officer's consent' and so on. If my officer finds out he is going to be all over me the whole time to make sure I don't slip up."
[3] "Alright then. Can my friend come as well? He's still thinking straight... I'm a bit disoriented from the blast, you know?"
"Yeah that's no problem."

Meek and subordinate... better work on that...

---

The lab's main room consisted of a rectangular space with an entrance on one side, two large doors leading to the experiment halls (hall A was biotechnology, hall B was machinery), and four large tables in the center. Numerous large wired sockets hung from the walls.

The technician led Caplus over to one of the center tables. On the table, illuminated bright as day by the overhead fluorescent lights, lay a large blaster and a series of unidentifiable mechanical parts... wait, they were parts of some kind of armor suit. Cool.

The technician began to explain what was going on, as the entrance door slid shut and sealed itself.
"Alright, the cameras in this room are now disabled. Everything I am about to tell you is top-secret. You've been obligated as a test subject for a new set of armor we've been working on. The government has until recently been reluctant to test the armor due to predicted fatalities... but now they've given us the clearance to run some tests."
"The cameras, you say, are off. Right?"
"Right."
"In that case..."

[4] Caplus immediately swung his fist at the scientist, hitting him in the face and knocking him out.
"Stupid progressives."
"Now about this armor..."

--------

Zakroff decided that instead of bothering with getting through the maintenance shafts, he would get to work and get a nice gift for these soldiers.

[1] He went to one of the fighters in the hangar. He decided that the easiest source of flammable materials would be the fighter's fuel tanks. He first looked around for the entrance to the cockpit... but that required a key. He then looked for a maintenance panel, but that... also required a key.

"Why must this place be so orderly! Can't these people leave me some stray fuel tanks or something... something I can use..."

--------

Kayle and Milia readied their weapons for another strike if necessary. Herros did the same... but with a twist. Using his mind, he willed one of the elite's suits to point the gun at the soldier's allies. [1] Apparently, the motors were stronger than Herros' will. For now, at least. They moved slightly.

Amatin wrapped everything up in one quick dialogue.

*snip*

"Do you have any idea about who is in charge of this attack?"

Silence. Then, one of the elites spoke up, removing his helmet.

"Well, I must say I am astounded at what you've accomplished. We couldn't pick your squad up on any form of detection. The security office did notify us about some of the cameras malfunctioning in the area, but they assured us that the recent explosion was at fault."

His thick, intelligent accent irritated Kayle's nerves. He continued.

"Speaking of which... I'm absolutely sure that the Centauri fleet caused it. I'd congratulate them as well if I could.
Anyway, as a joint squad commander with von Frederich... the man whom you are erm... sitting upon at the moment... I am given clearance to know about basic battle plans. In this case, yes, I will tell you what is going on, but only because I frankly disagree with this new government's actions. You see, this so called 'victory fleet' was assembled at the order of..."

He blanked out. Expecting the elite to continue, Amatin waited. After about thirty seconds of silence, Amatin stood up and kneeled over the downed elite.
"Excuse me?"
"Oh yes?"
"Who gave the order to attack Centauri Prime? And how did you even get past the jump gate network. Every single gate is patrolled by at least one battleship. We would have known if you took the normal route."
"I'm afraid I... I... forgot..."
Amatin's eyes widened.
"What do you mean you forgot? How could you forget something so important mid-sentence?"
"I didn't forget... it was... Ugh... I'm sorry, but I can't help you... it's just... Ugh! I'm just as confused as you are! I really just can't tell you, I don't know why!"
"Alright then..."

[1] Amatin had absolutely no idea why this was happening. His senses felt nothing. Everything seemed just fine. A mental breakdown, perhaps? But the man seemed gratified that he would be able to help stop the attack.

--------

Grand Supreme Admiral of the Centauri-Prime Resistance Agnew Burton stood valiantly at the bridge. He had certain... powers assigned to him as leader of this rebellion. He was ordered to take absolutely every responsibility he needed in order to win the battle.

The odds were becoming dimmer. Reinforcements were supposed to arrive... the Morningstar was repairing its warp drive in order to escape the asteroid field it was trapped it. The Fleet Admiral had stated it would be only an hour until repairs were finished. But it had been much longer.

Other ships, including the dreadnoughts Blight and the Autumn Storm, and the shield ship Perseverence were all expected to have arrived by now. But Hours had gone by, the Ross wearing away at the Centauri shield line. Utilizing positron shields to prevent rail-gun damage, the Centauri fleet lasted a while. But the barrage of rain gun fire never ended, and even antimatter shielding could not nullify the sheer volume of metal that the Ross ships were raining down upon the fleet.

Burton's ship had previously been equipped with a certain device, acquired from students at the university. It was a year-end project finished by a group of students. The only weapon of its type in existence, Burton decided to have it equipped in order to test it. If it worked, the military might adopt it.

At this point, Burton called his assistant. He told his assistant to brace for impact. His plan was as follows: to charge the enemy temporarily, baiting them into warming up their close range weapons, or even firing them. With their reactors operating at a higher power level, Burton reasoned that his own... secret weapon... would be fully effective. With inferior ships, no large capital ships, and a total lack of reinforcement against a larger fleet, there was little else to do than to try something new.

"All ships" he proclaimed.
"Brace for a temporary charge. Our goal is not to close the gap, but to make them think we are. That way, they will warm up their weapons, wasting power. It's our only hope... trust me."

The hastily assembled line of frigates and destroyers acknowledged his order, and began to speed toward the Ross battleships. The Aurora began supplying power to its particle battery...

"Power it up. You know what I'm referring to, Officer." ordered Burton.
"Roger that sir!"

Spoiler: Shields (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 26, 2011, 04:36:40 am »

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: KIA (click to show/hide)

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 26, 2011, 06:21:20 am »

Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 26, 2011, 06:38:52 am »

Can I get a mini-turn for the following conversation?

There was something off with the Elite. Even if he showed unmistakable signs of relief at the news about the infiltration, that thirty-second pause and forgetting the question itself were highly suspicious. Mental breakdown? Unlikely, especially in an experienced soldier. Hypnotic block? Probably, if one assumed that this block was designed to be noticeable. But... perhaps the pause was caused by the reprogramming of the man's personality, right after he tried to answer a dangerous question. If the last possibility was true, whoever it was in front of him could not be trusted with anything important, or the results would be catastrophic.
Hypnoblocks and personality design have evolved over the last few decades, but, as far as Amatin knew, even the cutting-edge techniques couldn't bypass certain limitations. For example, a personality, especially if it's artificial, can't recall doing the actions that were against its nature; if the person before Amatin was just reprogrammed to be loyal to his mission, then the moment of treachery against the fleet was remembered by him vaguely, if at all.
Amatin decided to test the soldier's memory before doing anything rash.

"Never mind. On with the rest of the plan... Could you list the names and ranks of the people in your squad? What checks are performed to detect guard pretenders?"
Watch the Elite's reaction. If he doesn't remember telling me von Frederich's name, then he's been reprogrammed.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:03:35 am by HmH »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 107