Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24219 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #330 on: August 01, 2011, 02:20:39 am »

You should read On the Social Contract (or whatever it's called in English).  I think you'd have a lot of fun with it =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 01, 2011, 02:24:05 am »

You should read On the Social Contract (or whatever it's called in English).  I think you'd have a lot of fun with it =)

This one? That actually does like something I'd enjoy reading. Thanks!

EDIT: More of my thoughts from a chat between me and an internet friend, we were talking about the possibility of natural selection creating morality:
Quote from: me
I think that with the formation of civilizations for a common goal of survival, it might have manually manufactured the trait of morality, as people who disobeyed were executed..
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:27:13 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2011, 02:56:39 am »

To Dr.Feelgood: Is your moral entirely tied to law? That what it at least seems to be. What if for example drugs would become legal, would you still think drug users/dealers deserve to die?

Yes, biblical law. I wish America followed the Word of God, but our values are slowly being eroded by maleficent forces. There are plenty of evil people deserve to die who don't, and I completely support the execution of drug dealers/users. I believe drugs are harmful to our society.

I find this incredibly ironic, coming from somebody who chose Dr. Feelgood as their username.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2011, 04:01:51 am »

Yes, biblical law. I wish America followed the Word of God, but our values are slowly being eroded by maleficent forces. There are plenty of evil people deserve to die who don't, and I completely support the execution of drug dealers/users. I believe drugs are harmful to our society.
The question is, which drugs? Are we only going with illegal drugs? Because alcohol does considerable damage to society. Then again, we can't very well go around executing people for using legal drugs. And what about people who abuse legal prescription drugs? There are different levels of drug abuse, too. Someone who, say, takes LSD for their twenty-first birthday is in a whole other league from someone who's addicted to methamphetamine.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2011, 05:31:15 am »

Biblical law is sooo two millennia ago. Can't we use Sharia law instead?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2011, 06:05:53 am »

Anything related to religions and God cannot be proved. Using biblical law or Sharia to execute people is wrong because nothing is certain. If you are religious, think that the murderer will pay his crimes in the afterlife.

Also, laws are are put by goverments. God doesn't come and send us a constitutional charter. I wish it could happen, everything would become easier but no. Since laws are put by goverments, they can use religions for their personal gain. Religion is the most powerful weapon in the hands of men.

I have lots of things to say about this but I'll just leave it there.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2011, 06:56:22 am »

You are now advocating slavery.

I am not listening to you anymore.

I don't recall mentioning slavery in any of my posts.. :?

But is morality only obedience to God's will? Are there no guidelines for acts not mentioned in the Bible? Can we not draw conclusions from the living world He created? Obviously, I'm not* arguing that such conclusions can take precedence over the Bible, but are they utterly without merit? Is the Universe not also God's Word?

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Yes. And there are general commands given by the Lord, and specific rules that are meant to be looked at more closely.

Otherwise, it would be disrespectful to the Lord, as he established our nation.
The nation that specifically states in it's founding document that the lawmakers will never create a law establishing religion in the government?

God allowed America's creation and its continued existence.

God created morality and law, and we must obey him.
Proof of this would be nice.

All the proof you need is in the Bible.

Let us say, hypothetically, that God appears to you and says that he is unsatisfied with the test he gave to Issac and Abraham, so he wants you to take one of your close family members out to the nearest desert and sacrifice them to him, and that this time it has to be gone through with. Moral?

We cannot pretend to understand God's intentions for he is pure and unwavering. God's plan is unknowable to man. All we can do is be obedient children and try to emulate our Father. If the Lord commands us to action, then we must obey. If he commands us to save someone, kill hundreds, sacrifice ourselves, or sacrifice others, then we shall do it.

The question is, which drugs? Are we only going with illegal drugs? Because alcohol does considerable damage to society. Then again, we can't very well go around executing people for using legal drugs. And what about people who abuse legal prescription drugs? There are different levels of drug abuse, too. Someone who, say, takes LSD for their twenty-first birthday is in a whole other league from someone who's addicted to methamphetamine.

I don't think anybody was advocating that America should start executing legal drug users. Yes, alcohol is detrimental to society, which is why I believe it should be made illegal in the U.S. Then, there would be fewer vehicular homicides, along with other social benefits.

I find this incredibly ironic, coming from somebody who chose Dr. Feelgood as their username.

Mötley Crüe is awesome.  ;D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2011, 06:58:53 am »

FUCKING POES LAW!!!
I honestly do not know what to make of that Dr. Feelgood.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2011, 07:01:14 am »

Either he's a troll or he's too far gone to argue with anyway.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2011, 07:01:39 am »

So what if we asked people if they'd rather die or get life in prison? :P
It's just a horribly abusable system.  People'd just make sure the person who's about to "choose" life in prison or death is horribly abused in prison by all the guards and other prisoners and is made miserable in every way possible.  Not to mention that innocent people who feel they wouldn't be able to survive in prison (see: Alan Turing) could end up choosing death.

America is a Christian nation founded by Christians. The fact that certain people are trying to corrupt our values and usurp our country is troubling.

How do you feel about the amendments to the Constitution that ended slavery?

This country was a slave-owning nation founded by slave-owners.  It isn't anymore.

How about the biblical laws by which adulteresses may be stoned to death?

How about the biblical laws by which one may not plant fields with multiple different kinds of plants?

We must obey the law of the land, even if we strongly disagree with it. Otherwise, it would be disrespectful to the Lord, as he established our nation.
You didn't answer any of the questions.  In fact, your response makes no sense at all.

You said that the US was founded by Christians and that its original values were Christian.  You went on to say that these values had been usurped.

Vector responded with several counterexamples of things that were fine with the founding fathers (who remember, established the country with Christian values according to you) and things that are mandated in the Bible which are widely ignored.

You must clearly state your position on slavery, stoning of adulteresses and not planting different plants in the same field in order to have a meaningful response.  Your vague, semi-quoted answer is meaningless as you said earlier that the law of the land was the law of God when the nation was founded.

God allowed America's creation and its continued existence.
Ok, this?  This to me is by far the most dangerous sentiment that religion can enable.  I'm glad it only exists in a tiny minority of people.

In essence, it can be used to justify absolutely anything because "God must have allowed it" (this was used by Tony Blair to justify entering the Iraq war, incidentally).  The sheer dangerousness of an idea that can just universally justify anything you feel like is just... ugh.

How about "God allows atheism to exist, therefore God established atheism"?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2011, 07:04:21 am »

There is no 'too far', just the dead and the fighting.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:04 am »

There is no 'too far', just the dead and the fighting.

I'm just gonna go ahead and disagree with you there.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2011, 07:06:07 am »

That's the spirit! Now your getting it.  :D

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2011, 07:15:51 am »

Dr Feelgood: religious troll.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2011, 07:20:41 am »

Guys, we're forgetting our priorities here. "Thou shall not kill" is only 6th commandment, clearly the ones closer to the top of the list are more important. Unfortunately your average police officer isn't versed enough in theology to investigate people's faith, so we need some kind of an elite organization with the element of surprise as it's chief weapon.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27