Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24217 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

The atonement for blood is blood, as written in the Bible. You don't have the right to take your or someone else's life.
A. Those sentences are mutually contradictory.

B. The USA, if you are talking about the USA, is a secular state, as can be shown from the establishment clause, so what the bible has to say is meaningless when it comes to law.
Murder is a grave sin and redemption can only be found through death.
That's a fairly brutal way to look at the world.
The state has the authority to execute its people.
Every person has an immutable right to live.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2011, 07:15:42 pm »

Innocents who are unduly punished are tragic, but unavoidable. It is a sacrifice we must make for the greater good. I prefer a society that seeks justice, rather than a society that houses a monster out of some misplaced sense of compassion.
You didn't answer the question which is "how exactly will praying help the victims of your horrific regime".

Yah, but historical outlawing removed them from the law entirely. I want a system where they lose the laws protection bit by bit. You be arson'ing things? Now you get arson'd. Commit a theft? Have fun trying to hold onto your stuff. Although I suppose they would have to recover their legal protection after a certain period, or else they would inevitably be forced to escalate their crimes in order to protect themselves.
So basically as long as you're the biggest criminal out there you're completely fine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:17:40 pm by Leafsnail »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »

The atonement for blood is blood, as written in the Bible.
Where in the bible is this from? To be specific, I want to know if it is from the old testament or the new testament. A lot of the stuff in the old testament was superseded by stuff from the new testament.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

Where in the bible is this from? To be specific, I want to know if it is from the old testament or the new testament. A lot of the stuff in the old testament was superseded by stuff from the new testament.
Wellllll.......
Quote from: Matthew 5:18
I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »

But what on earth does that actually mean?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »

Whatever you want it to mean.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:14 pm »

. . .

So that's how this works.  I think it would drive me insane within a week.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »

But what on earth does that actually mean?
He was challenging the part about the new testament supersedes the old testament.

Wellllll.......
Quote from: Matthew 5:18
I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
One can also find all sorts of places where Jesus told people to against the jewish teachings. For example:
Quote from: Mark 2:23-27
23 One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. 24 The Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?”

25 He answered, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26 In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.”

27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »

if I could do this discussion in Danish, I'd swarm you. But alas, all my resources on the subject of the controversy of the bible and Christianity is in Danish it'd be a far too great amount of work to translate.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2011, 08:23:38 pm »

To Dr.Feelgood: Is your moral entirely tied to law? That what it at least seems to be. What if for example drugs would become legal, would you still think drug users/dealers deserve to die?

Yes, biblical law. I wish America followed the Word of God, but our values are slowly being eroded by maleficent forces. There are plenty of evil people deserve to die who don't, and I completely support the execution of drug dealers/users. I believe drugs are harmful to our society.

The atonement for blood is blood, as written in the Bible. You don't have the right to take your or someone else's life.
A. Those sentences are mutually contradictory.
B. The USA, if you are talking about the USA, is a secular state, as can be shown from the establishment clause, so what the bible has to say is meaningless when it comes to law.

Murder is a sin. Executing a murderer is a righteous act. One has divine justification and the other is the act of an animal who needs to be put down. America is a Christian nation founded by Christians. The fact that certain people are trying to corrupt our values and usurp our country is troubling.

The state has the authority to execute its people.
Every person has an immutable right to live.

I don't believe all life is precious. And I see no problem with killing in self-defense, during a war, or executing a dangerous criminal for the good of the people.

The atonement for blood is blood, as written in the Bible.

Book of Genesis. God is unchanging and his laws are perfect (Psalm 19:7 & Malachi 3:6). And Jesus wasn't sent to change the law, but to fulfill it. Matthew 5:17-18

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2011, 08:30:32 pm »

America is a Christian nation founded by Christians.
People can keep saying that until they turn blue, but that doesn't make it true. Some of the founding fathers were Christians, true, but a comparative number were deists. Also, read the Treaty of Tripoli. It outright states that America is, and I quote: "in no sense founded on the Christian religion."
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2011, 08:30:53 pm »

It's true.  The book that can be selectively quoted to support almost any viewpoint supports his viewpoint when selectively quoted therefore he must be right.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2011, 08:31:31 pm »

As cool as the Bible is and all, there is a separation of Church and state, no?
Also, the Founding Fathers thought that Islam was a cool religion.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

America is a Christian nation founded by Christians. The fact that certain people are trying to corrupt our values and usurp our country is troubling.

How do you feel about the amendments to the Constitution that ended slavery?

This country was a slave-owning nation founded by slave-owners.  It isn't anymore.

How about the biblical laws by which adulteresses may be stoned to death?

How about the biblical laws by which one may not plant fields with multiple different kinds of plants?

People can keep saying that until they turn blue, but that doesn't make it true. Some of the founding fathers were Christians, true, but a comparative number were deists. Also, read the Treaty of Tripoli. It outright states that America is, and I quote: "in no sense founded on the Christian religion."

I'll specifically add the dude who wrote the Declaration of Independence, Jefferson, to that list.

And I'll add that the freedom of religion statute of the first amendment to the Constitution also permits the freedom from religious law.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2011, 08:48:36 pm »

America is a Christian nation founded by Christians. The fact that certain people are trying to corrupt our values and usurp our country is troubling.
How do you feel about the amendments to the Constitution that ended slavery?

This country was a slave-owning nation founded by slave-owners.  It isn't anymore.

I am not exactly sure what are you trying to say here*, because bible doesn't forbid slavery.

*Might be just me being stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27