Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Capital Punishment be allowed?

Yes.
No.
Only for certain crimes. (Name please)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: Capital Punishment  (Read 24224 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Punishment
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

History M'boy, that's exactly what outlawing someone was.
You were placing them outside of the protection of the law.
*Hugs*

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2011, 06:22:08 pm »

Yah, but historical outlawing removed them from the law entirely. I want a system where they lose the laws protection bit by bit. You be arson'ing things? Now you get arson'd. Commit a theft? Have fun trying to hold onto your stuff. Although I suppose they would have to recover their legal protection after a certain period, or else they would inevitably be forced to escalate their crimes in order to protect themselves.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »

That would be pretty interesting to study I admit.
*Hugs*

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2011, 06:29:35 pm »

Okay. Well, I will be honest; I do not understand why this is something you want. But I'd like to understand, even if I don't think I will agree. With that in mind, I hope that the questions I ask don't come across as, "Hah, I bet you didn't consider that one! See, you must be wrong!" I may disagree with something you say, but I'll try to be clear when I'm raising an objection instead of asking for more information.

So, the first question: what is it that makes human life valuable to you? Put another way, what is it that a murderer (for the sake of argument) loses that makes death an acceptable option? It's (I think) obvious that there are crimes for which death is not an acceptable punishment, even if the person in question has, before the crime, done nothing particularly good or bad for the world. "Execution is not acceptable" seems to be the default state for people, so there has to be something that changes. For you, what is that?

The atonement for blood is blood, as written in the Bible. You don't have the right to take your or someone else's life. Murder is a grave sin and redemption can only be found through death. The state has the authority to execute its people. Anyway, a person's actions largely shapes their value. I have no respect for people who break the law. And if they commit monstrous acts, such as murder, rape, drug pushing, etc., then they deserve no mercy.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2011, 06:31:49 pm »

The Bible also says that the mathematical constant, pi, is equal to three.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »

And Jesus says that children who disobey their parents should be executed when he is criticized for not washing his hands.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2011, 06:35:26 pm »

although to be fair using 3 instead of pi makes everything easier. Very, very wrong, but easier.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2011, 06:38:11 pm »

All the same, I refuse to agree unilaterally with a book that expresses information known to be false.

My foundations of morality may be partially based on the Christian faith, but that doesn't mean I'm going to swallow it hook, line, and sinker.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2011, 06:46:36 pm »

To Dr.Feelgood: Is your moral entirely tied to law? That what it at least seems to be. What if for example drugs would become legal, would you still think drug users/dealers deserve to die?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2011, 06:51:03 pm »

Hm... Once people are done bickering about executions, what should the next discussion about law be? Which law/punishment?

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »

Hm... Once people are done bickering about executions, what should the next discussion about law be? Which law/punishment?
Drug laws (?)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »

Not quite. The verse in question is:
"And he [Hiram] made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one rim to the other it was round all about, and...a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about....And it was an hand breadth thick...."
If you take 'Rim' to mean from outer edge to outer edge, and 'round about' to mean the inner circumference, then you get something close to pi.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2011, 06:58:38 pm »

Drug laws (?)
I was thinking gun laws, but that could be good too. Any specifics?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2011, 07:01:23 pm »

Why on earth would "round about" mean the inner circumference.

Anyway, there was a campaign to have pi = three taught in schools by some Republican dude recently enough that I sort of assumed the general interpretation was of pi = three.

... And yes, I was familiar with the actual quotation, just so you know.  We were taught about in highschool as the reason why you don't base all your folly on biblical law.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2011, 07:07:45 pm »

Why on earth would "round about" mean the inner circumference.
I haven't a clue, but it makes a lot more sense than any alternative.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27