Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Opinion poll:  (Read 3441 times)

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion poll:
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 01:37:41 pm »

As-is; a monolith that looks like Urist McAwesome reached down and tugged it up out of the ground, complete with abruptly shorn off mineral veins and all.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 01:43:55 pm »

i imagine an entire castle covered in runes and engravings and whatnot to be VERY dwarfy.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 01:44:08 pm »

I figure I can lower the rest of the world to make it taller, as needed.

So fucking sigged.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 04:12:20 pm »

I now need to do this.

No, wait, I think I'll just build myself a mountain, rather than just go looking for one. It's much easier to find a flat area. That being said, it's far dwarfier to flatten a mountainous area and then build a mountain, methinks, so it really doesn't matter where I embark at all.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 04:20:34 pm »

Your asking about dwarfiness and then talking about not wanting to show the gore??? O.o

Fair point.

I now need to do this.

No, wait, I think I'll just build myself a mountain, rather than just go looking for one. It's much easier to find a flat area. That being said, it's far dwarfier to flatten a mountainous area and then build a mountain, methinks, so it really doesn't matter where I embark at all.

And on the plus side, by flattening a mountain you'll have SCADS of useful stone.  Simply carving out working space around the 4-story, 12-radius circular tower I started with produced something like 1200 siltstone and various other ores and gems. Granted, (if my math is correct) the single-layer sky-pasture itself will take over 50,000 stone...

so, Update: 
- The initial launch of this project failed.  Mistakes were made.  A replacement site was found south of the crater, and work restarted.
- The predominant color of the fortress as it currently stands is BROWN (siltstone), with small patches of red (bauxite) and yellow (limonite). 
- Though there is an abundance of bubble bulb, there are in fact NO unicorns.  I may leave the BB pasture just for grins, though, as the 'graphics' for it look so bizarre. 
- The planned layout of the Dwarven Arcology was actually too large for the 4x embark point I chose, so the design has been modified to expand more organically.  As Armok is my witness, I didn't realize a 255x255-tile "footprint" was THAT all-encompassing.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 04:40:22 pm »

I now need to do this.

Build a mountain, flatten it, build it back up, and carve a fortress from it.

Alternatively, make a mountain of obsidian.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

I gots a better idea now. Imma channel out all of this useless fireclay and find a mountain made of stone and nothing but. Maybe I'll save half a layer for farming and potting purposes...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:39 pm »

I gots a better idea now. Imma channel out all of this useless fireclay and find a mountain made of stone and nothing but. Maybe I'll save half a layer for farming and potting purposes...

Two words: Sky Farm

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 01:47:37 am »

Make it of glass!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 09:57:26 am »

Make it of glass!

Make it threaten with spikes of artifacts that they themselves threaten with spikes!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 01:16:13 am »

For you clay-dwellers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain_tower

Granted, actual porcelain (in DF) consumes a kaolinite rock, so there's a theoretically finite number of porcelain blocks you can make, but fireclay and stoneware are basically only limited by how fast your peons can scoop it off the ground. 

Extra dwarfy points for making fortifications that can withstand a Titan.. out of a material that SHOULD shatter if you hit the right musical note near it...
Pages: 1 [2]