Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466331 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

It's the company they keep.

Seriously, Goblins spend lots of time with Trolls. Would YOU want to eat a troll?  Then you have the "cannibalism" prospect, where goblins are said to have "wretched guts" or something like that, implying that they are altogether non-edible. As a consequence, goblins may be under the mistaken presumption that sentient life is just not fit for eating.

On the flipside, those preening pansies with the long flowing golden locks spend lots of time with giant carnivores, and use their completely self-contradictory "Nature magic" to communicate with same-- Large carnivores have no qualms about eating sentient lifeforms, and coupled with same-said extra-natural animal communication, ALL animal life could be considered "sentient" to elven sensibilities. This results in a kind of inescapable issue concerning meat products, and the "pact with nature" thing. Large carnivores eat meat. Exclusively meat. This means that elves must do one of 2 things: Consider large carnivores inherently evil, (A-La PETA), which destroys the whole "at peace with nature" thing -OR- adopt a utilitarian policy concerning the eating of meat products. It appears that elves have taken the latter approach. Since to elves, basically *ALL* meat is sentient, there isnt a separation between cow and dwarf in that philosophical sense, so, eating sentients that have been killed in "Self-defense" is OK. Going hunting is willful murder of their little animal friends, and is unacceptable. The kind of twisted "logic" that only an elf with their cherry picking confirmation biases could dream up.

([ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE] + [ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:JUSTIFIED_IF_SELF_DEFENSE] = "All wars are for 'self-defense' reasons, and when other sentients get killed in this way, it is OK.  Throw in [ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:ACCEPTABLE] and [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]-- It suddenly becomes OK for elven sociopaths to go on cannibalistic rampages against other civilizations in the name of "Self-defense".)

Basically, for elves, EVERYTHING about their culture revolves around the pre-concluded notion that that THE ELVEN WAY is infallibly correct, which is why they have to perform mental gymnastics and enforce absurd cultural norms. (Seriously, how do they make all that cloth with this in their ethics file? [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE]  I suspect that elves have this twisted "Dont kill the plant, only just maim it a bit by cutting parts off while it's still alive" exemption. It's the ONLY way they would get bast fiber of sufficient quality to make cloth goods in such prodigious quantities. Maybe it's how those elven sociopaths find their outlet, given these: [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:MISGUIDED],[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:UNTHINKABLE],[ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:UNTHINKABLE]. I note the conspicuous lack of "trophy plant" in their raws: [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:UNTHINKABLE], [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:UNTHINKABLE], [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:UNTHINKABLE])

(Clearly, The large number of clothiers in elven society must be rather telling about them... I would strongly suspect a STRONG correlation between being a clothier, and having a proclivity for being willing to engage in war in elven society. Keep that in mind the next time you consider buying elven fabric.)

Long story short-- Elves are the way they are because they are whackjobs. End of discussion.

Now then-- Where to elves who run foul of their culture's ethics, (   [ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_EXILE], [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_EXILE], [ETHIC:LYING:PUNISH_EXILE]) go when they get exiled?

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile

They join the stone-dwellers, the houseborn, or the child-thieves, and usually end up being either boring or painfully awesome.
They also gain the magical ability to grow beards if the civilization they join has them, leading to Elfy McBeardFace mining stone and chopping down trees, and then being conscripted into the military in an anti-treehugger war, then end up killing hundreds of their original civ.

What mystical metabolism system to Goblins and Kobolds use, given that they don't have to eat, to circumvent worldgen issues.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Goblins are radioactive and kobolds absorb nutrients through their feet when they rob fortresses.

Why do dwarves never realize WHY there are now unowned socks?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile

Who cares, dude? FREE SOCKS!!

How do necroes get in touch with dark gods?
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

--- lots of awesome snipped ----

Keep that in mind the next time you consider buying elven fabric.)

Do elven caravans still bring fabric? In 2014, I've seen "Grown" fabric clothing, but no actual fabric. (which is disappointing, since the fabric caravan was the best thing about the elves.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Who cares, dude? FREE SOCKS!!

How do necroes get in touch with dark gods?

The ritual involves ██████ ████‼█████‼ ██████ carp ███████ ██ ████. Then ████ █ ████ ██ elephant ██████ Obok Meat███ ███ ██ ██████ ██,████ ███████ ██ ████ ███ ██ rock trumpets ███ ██ ████████. ██ ███ ██████ █████████████████ ███ █████ █████ GCS ████ ███ ██ ██████ Armok. ███ ██ ██████ ██ ██████ 12 elven virgins █████████. After that, █████ ███ ███████ ███ ███████. ████ ██████ ██ █████ ██. Finally, █████ ████ ████ goat cheese and dwarven ale. As you can well imagine, the hugely expensive process of ███ ██ ████████ sets a pretty high barrier of entry, explaining the general tendency of Necromancers toward being former nobility. The pure horror of performing the final ████ on the goat cheese deters the rest.

How do magma crabs launch their rocks so quickly?

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

They have a dedicated organ that looks like a tongue combined with a lung to launch the lava they keep in their mouths.

What is the arena from the point of view of those in it?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile

It is terrifying.

Kidding, in reality it is all they've ever known. To one who has known better, it would be like the glowing pits of Hell, but they don't know such luxuries. All they have ever known is the horrible pit of death in which overseers test their whims, such as Megabeast pit fights and magma-tree bombs. You can't feel pain if it's all you've ever known.

Why do Trolls follow Goblins? They should not be slaves. They could easily crush them. Why don't they?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile

Why do Trolls follow Goblins? They should not be slaves. They could easily crush them. Why don't they?

And is the same not so for cattle? If they all rose up together, they could overthrow the farmer. But they do not, for it has always been that way. To try and change that would be to change their entire world.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I should point out here that the last goblin keep I explored was in the middle of an all-out civil war between the goblins and the trolls.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile

I should point out here that the last goblin keep I explored was in the middle of an all-out civil war between the goblins and the trolls.
The time has come! Quick, we must decide who to fight for. Goblins or Trolls?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

My money's on the [BUILDINGDESTROYER], personally.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: October 16, 2014, 07:33:31 am »

Cows need protection from dingoes and wolves.  although night horrors leave them alone in favor of sentient flesh, a pack of wolves will overrun a single cow.  by  following humans and metal they are safer.  also humans  have these caves that bogeyemn  cant spawn in.

Trolls, on the other hand, follow goblins because they heard ogres howling about how good it was.

why does one boulder make a flute or a drum?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:25:46 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .
« Reply #2833 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:51 am »

The standard crafting licensing agreement only allows for single item construction. Dwarves are too mean to pay for the premium license.

Why does lava only melt ice if it is moving?
()==[:::::::::::::>

Vyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Emm... friction heat between infinitely large surfaces?.. ... Because the dorfs are pumping this lava vigorously, that's why!

How do magma pistons work? Clearly not on Archimedean principle, that's for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 301