Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 301

Author Topic: Could someone explain... The thread where we muse over what causes certain wtfs.  (Read 466883 times)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile

For their delicious brain metal.

How can dwarves work a screw pump so fast that it flushes them away?

RiotShield

• Bay Watcher
  • You have five seconds to comply.
    • View Profile

Dwarfs are good at getting... screwed.

Why will dwarfs always wander outside the fortress at the exact moment a siege begins?
"I never liked the mayor anyway" said Urist McDrunk, right before using the statue's hand as a mug holder.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

For fun. It's hard to see the action of a siege from inside a sealed fortress, after all.

Why don't dwarves have specific mental issues, instead having generic madness, berserking, and depression?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

They do. It's just that at that point, they're considered to be "As sane as a dwarf gets".

Why do I never actually get to have a turn on a succession game, and instead always have it die just before my turn rolls around?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because we want you to host a community game now.

Why people are always profaning the game with elvish tilesets instead of playing the only good and dorfy ascii df?

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they can't see that & is a clown and not a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
man.
Well, it is a
, but Clowns bring fun.
bring Fun too. So a & is a clown.
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why did Spy227x just spoil the Clowns three times?

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't you notice the
s?
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Because it isn't a genuine spoiler anymore.

Why do no creatures ever change their hair style or recolour it?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile

A dwarf in darkness with anything resembling red hair could be mistaken for a goblin. After a number of casualties in this way, most civilizations realized the danger and stopped all hair-dyeing salons.
Luckily, with technology being no greater than 14th century equivalent, only the most noble of nobles were really affected by the loss of this industry. Some later red-dye-based-casualties have been called Unfortunate Accidents.

Why are there so few varieties of polearms in the world?
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

What are you talking about? I have plenty of pole arms, in a wide variety of shapes and colors.

What, you mean halberds and naginata, and NOT actual arms stuck on vertical spike traps? What are you? CLEARLY you arent very dwarven....

Given that Gnomes dont form a civilization to speak of-- how exactly do they know about alcohol, with sufficient regularity that they would actively seek it out in my stockpile?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

It's booze; a magical elixir capable of washing away tension and troubles until the next day's hangover.

...and let's face it, it would suck to be a gnome. If I were a gnome I'd drink myself into a dwarf. Booze is probably the only therapy for the little guys' daily woes and self-loathing.

Why do keas steal stuff, and why are they so persistent at it?

Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do keas steal stuff, and why are they so persistent at it?

'cause it's fun and ticks off the overseer known as "yellow X"... (also Keas really enjoy taking stuff apart in RL, they are curious, intelligent and slightly malignant, like most of us I guess).

Does that mean I am a Keaman, even if I don't have wings? After all, I like taking things apart just to see how they work. I don't steal minecarts full of galena ore, like the DF Keas do, though.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. In order to truly be considered a Kea, you must A) Be capable of flight B) Take a new expedition's only picks and axes and C) Steal minecarts full of galena ore.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

How the heck were dwarves able to smelt alumnium when it took us until only a couple of centuries ago to pull it off?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 301