Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Macabre and fell moods  (Read 5774 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Macabre and fell moods
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:34 am »

Anyone had these in 34.11? I haven't seen them once.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Macabre and fell moods
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:49:17 am »

I once was trying to rescue a fort from a tantrum spiral, and one of of the dwarves had a fell mood and killed the first dwarf that walked by, who just happened to be the MAYOR!  He took his bones and made them into a "Statue of a Dwarf".  Placing this artifact Mayor-Statue in the dining-room entrance provided a strong enough happiness bonus to turn the tide of the tantrums and the fort stabilized after losing only 30% of it's population.

Ironically, the killer was also the Captain of the Guard, and so the brutal murder of the mayor went curiously unpunished.  Attempts to assign another dwarf to fortress-guard duty led to a tug-of-war as they tried to arrest each other (the new guy had violated a production order from the former mayor).

All of this happened in 34.11

If you're a good fortress manager, you will probably never encounter these since they require quite unhappy dwarves.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:13:40 am »

Bibanfath saw a fell mood (my first and only) late last year, in 34.10. Not sure about the newest version, though. Oddly enough, a random presser or miller loosed a roaring laughter, fell and terrible, and then grabbed my legendary bonecarver, rendered him into a flute, and then became a legendary bonecarver. Talk about succession.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:37:30 am »

If you want a really interesting fortress, try to keep everyone just happy enough to keep tantrum spirals from happening... Jusssstttt brushing your toes against the magma, basically. Keep them there as long as you can. As soon as a tantrum spiral hits, you'll have your fell mood, provided you lack a hammerer. They tend to put a stop to Fun things.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:00:07 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:26:05 am »

I once was trying to rescue a fort from a tantrum spiral, and one of of the dwarves had a fell mood and killed the first dwarf that walked by, who just happened to be the MAYOR!  He took his bones and made them into a "Statue of a Dwarf".  Placing this artifact Mayor-Statue in the dining-room entrance provided a strong enough happiness bonus to turn the tide of the tantrums and the fort stabilized after losing only 30% of it's population.

In the novel "Aztec" there's a plot arc where the protagonist is in service to the local ruler.  the local ruler's wife had the habit of taking lovers then ridding them by having them killed...then their bodies reduced to skeletons.  The skeletons then had clay sculpted upon them, turning them into statues that resembled who they were in life.  She would claim it was a statue of such and such hero or god, but is eventually found out and punished.  That's what you description of the dwarf statue made of dwarf bones made me think of.  It's a pretty dwarfy read at times.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

wurmy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 04:56:01 pm »

Ironically, the killer was also the Captain of the Guard, and so the brutal murder of the mayor went curiously unpunished.  Attempts to assign another dwarf to fortress-guard duty led to a tug-of-war as they tried to arrest each other (the new guy had violated a production order from the former mayor).

All of this happened in 34.11

If you're a good fortress manager, you will probably never encounter these since they require quite unhappy dwarves.
"I never liked the mayor anyway" said Urist McDrunk, Right before using the statue's hand as a mug holder.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »

Was it a statue of the Mayor?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:44 pm »

Anyone had these in 34.11? I haven't seen them once.
They will only happen if an unhappy dwarf is the one that moods, and if that type is then randomly selected. As such in most fortresses they won't be present, but they are still there.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 01:16:05 am »

My first mood in the current (and current version) fort was this:

Ushangshislug "Monstrousmuddles" a dwarf bone earring. Made by a child. Out of a jeweler.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:55 pm »

Ushangshislug "Monstrousmuddles" a dwarf bone earring. Made by a child. Out of a jeweler.

What was going on in your fort that caused its first mood to be so grim?  and awesome?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

RiotShield

• Bay Watcher
  • You have five seconds to comply.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:32 pm »

"I never liked the mayor anyway" said Urist McDrunk, Right before using the statue's hand as a mug holder.

Annnnnnd.... quoted.
"I never liked the mayor anyway" said Urist McDrunk, right before using the statue's hand as a mug holder.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »

Was it a statue of the Mayor?
Sadly no.

In fact, double-checking it just now, it seems as though it was actually a statue of Dwarves.  They are laboring, and it relates to the founding of the fortress.  It is decorated with hanging rings of dwarf-bone.

It would have been totally bad-ass if it was a statue of a Dwarf making plaintive gestures, relating to the brutal murder of Bim Urdimlolok, but alas, it is not so.

It still brings up one of the eternal mysteries of dwarven artifacts though:  How did Kogan Zonudar make multiple dwarves out of the skeleton of a single dwarf?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:45:49 am »

It still brings up one of the eternal mysteries of dwarven artifacts though:  How did Kogan Zonudar make multiple dwarves out of the skeleton of a single dwarf?

To scale, one would think.

That's a bone you'll have to pick with the sculptor.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:40 am »

To scale, one would think.

That's a bone you'll have to pick with the sculptor.
I think I see what you did there.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »

What was going on in your fort that caused its first mood to be so grim?  and awesome?

It was the founding of my necromancer fort. The first migrant wave peasants and founders were sleeping in a hillside and building the future necromancer compound fulltime. Then the retired adventurer necromancers started showing up in the third migrant wave and I hadn't yet begun to throw all bodies and body parts into the volcano. The results were not pretty
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2