Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: species interbreeding ?  (Read 7582 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: species interbreeding ?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 06:03:14 pm »

no. just no. NO.

modifying raws? thats awesome.

elves with hooves, breathing dragonfire and being ridden into battle? fuck yes.

make them breed with 10 story tall badger elves with poisonous dust breath, making hooved badger elves with explosive poison dust and 13 limbs and 6 upper torsos?

you're crossing the streams man, you NEVER cross the streams
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:49:32 pm by zehive »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26:50 pm »

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Breed a fire-breathing hooved elf with a 10-foot dust-spewing badger elf, and each of the offspring take entirely after one parent. You only get to choose from the castes in the raws. That said, there is supposedly an inheritance system in place, although all it seems to affect is cosmetic details. If only you could assign tokens to a caste the way you can assign eye colours...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 01:45:17 am »

Hmm, more seriously speaking, do you think there should be hybrids to some extent? Like ligers/tigons/mules/etc being able to breed in fortress mode and stuff?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 05:17:34 am »

Hmm, more seriously speaking, do you think there should be hybrids to some extent? Like ligers/tigons/mules/etc being able to breed in fortress mode and stuff?

Hybrids can't breed with their parents species nor with their own.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 06:59:57 am »

I didn't mean that hybrids are able to breed, I meant you being able to breed them!

...My English is very bad it seems.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 07:10:34 am »

Or half-trolls half-elves: Strong, tough, but weak-willed and able to be bred from invaders.

Wait a sec...that would mean they'd have to...you'd probably want to make the troll the female...ew...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 10:14:18 am »

Or half-trolls half-elves: Strong, tough, but weak-willed and able to be bred from invaders.

Wait a sec...that would mean they'd have to...you'd probably want to make the troll the female...ew...

Death by snu snu.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:28 am »

I made a test world last night, I just moved all the dwarf raws up to the allowed jobs, to caste level and made these creatures into castes of dwarves  [CASTE:HYDRA] [CASTE:NIGHTWING] [CASTE:STRANGLER] [CASTE:BLENDEC_FOUL] [CASTE:COLOSSUS_BRONZE] [CASTE:DRAGON]. I didn't alter anything, I was just curious to see the effects.

I tried to gen a standard world but the game kept crashing, almost as f it didn't want to contemplate the implications of the world it was being asked to create. I tried again with advanced parameters, setting playable civs to zero and after a few attempts I got a world. 

I jumped straight into fortress mode and start looking for a place to embark, then I checked my neighbours
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

intriguing....sadly the game still insisted on crashing then I tried to embark. So I went into Legends mode to find this Dragonic Civ.

It started with a dwarven queen who wasn't very interesting apart from the fact that she seemed to live alone with a Dragonic general 

They both died of starvation after 4-5 years

That left room for Iton Metalurns THE THUNDERS OF MANGE!!!1! -the bronze colossus and best pump operator ever, to become king.

Iton was born to two proud dwarven parents and was a middle child having both an older and younger dwarven brother who were utterly useless,( one became a farmer and almost imidiatly starved to death....farming in dwarf fortress is not difficult!) I'm betting he felt left out, I just hope he wasn't bullied too much.

I'm kind of confused as to how the younger brother was even born...I'm assuming that Iton caused some damage coming in to this world.

Here's the man himself

He was eventually killed when an elf he was destroying got a lucky hit, I checked the elfs history, he seemed to be so injured from the attack , he was never able to kill anything else and was eventually slain by a nigh creature.

In addition to a bronze colossus king, they also had a colossus general  Ingish Catstaves The Scraped Blazes.

He tamed olms, giant bats and giant cave swallows, giant toads and voracious cave crawlers, Killed 8 notable elves and 51 others along with a host of random wildlife till he was killed by a giant panda in a battle I'm imagining looked something like an old Godzilla movie.

other than that there were a hand full of other citizens including a strangler general a dull foul blendic and an ineffectual hydra farmer .

It seems there were only about five dwarves in existence and they all starved to death by year 5. The civ only lasted about 120 years . The reason for this is probly due to the fact that the sub castes in the creature raws were not recognised so none of the creatures had gender, this means that the dwarfs that reproduced had a 5/6 chance of yielding infertile young. The fact that severla of the offspring had building destroyer 2 probably didn't help. I'm assuming that the the bronze colossi were born, destroyed their own settlements, and didn't starve because they don't eat and just kept attacking other civs.

I'm now going to edit the raws to try and make the creatures fertile and less hostile to their own civ and give the civ more a "12Bay-esque" set of ethics. and hopefully get a working fortress mode.
I'm also very interested to see if the genetics will apply cross species ie will gigantic dragons give birth to gigantic dwarfs?

Any suggestions for what creatures should be included?

Damn, id love a bunch of half dwarf half dragons, would make tantrum spirals so much fun. I really hope this is achievable without too much work

That shouldn't be hard at all, what kind of population % would you like?

Yes. but rather than just allow for those specific creatures, I think it would be better to make some kind of [can breed with creature:] token that would yield specific castes. to keep things as general and modifiable as possible, not to mention some more in depth genetics.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Sanguine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:39 am »

Death by snu snu.

Thanks... I just sprayed alcohol over my laptop...  :P
Once liquids are implemented properly, you could set up a mandatory test involving potential military dwarves swim through a sea of blood on their way through the testing.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 12:18:12 pm »

the streams have been crossed. this won't end well.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 12:25:11 pm »

hold on im going to go look at the raws and see if i can make the elves trainable into war animals

yes...yes you can.(and you can make them into pack animals and wagon pullers as well)...I once had a bug where a dwarf tried to train an elf torso.
awesome. i made them breath dragonfire too, so that'll be useful. now if only i can force them to chop down trees, the sadism will be complete

says the person who gave their elves dragonfire.....DRAGONFIRE.........DRAGONFIRE!!!
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 12:42:05 pm »

Oh god.
A BC... Raped... A dwarven woman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »

I do rather wish there was some crossbreeding in the game.  I'd like to see Dwarf-Humans, Goblin-Humans, and even *shudder* Dwarf-elves.

you'd probably want to make the troll the female...

Nope.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

I do rather wish there was some crossbreeding in the game.  I'd like to see Dwarf-Humans, Goblin-Humans, and even *shudder* Dwarf-elves.
I asked my DM if I could play a half-dwarf. The answer was no.

Mintaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 01:37:59 pm »

I tried to do something similar to what Lezard did, making dwarves have four castes- male dwarves, female dwarves, male dragons, and female dragons.  It doesn't crash the game, but when I try to generate a world it says there aren't any places where my dwarf/dragon civilization can live.  "Unable to place controllable civilization".  Any idea why this would be?  *is not experienced with modding*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4