Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Non-dog war animals  (Read 3752 times)

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Non-dog war animals
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:27:37 pm »

So I've been getting lucky and have been recieving a steady stream of animals from the elves, no breeding pairs unfortunately but whatever. What animals would be good as war animals and which ones as pets? And how would I make a non-domestic animal available as a pet or war animal?

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Non-dog war animals
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:32:52 pm »

hold on im going to go look at the raws and see if i can make the elves trainable into war animals

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:36:33 pm »

Bears maybe? You'll need to mod the raws for most animals, as the dungeon noble is bugged. [PET] is the normal tag, you need to mod [PET_EXOTIC]s into [PET]s if you want to tame them.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »

Bears maybe? You'll need to mod the raws for most animals, as the dungeon noble is bugged. [PET] is the normal tag, you need to mod [PET_EXOTIC]s into [PET]s if you want to tame them.
I gave vultures the [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags and I still can't tame them   :'(

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:41:58 pm »

hold on im going to go look at the raws and see if i can make the elves trainable into war animals

yes...yes you can.(and you can make them into pack animals and wagon pullers as well)...I once had a bug where a dwarf tried to train an elf torso.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:43:36 pm »

War grizzly bears are pretty good. I've also had two war giraffes completely destroy a small ambush.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:57:40 pm »

War Bears are the best ones ive got from the elves, lions and the ilk die too easily and elephants dont do as well. If you can get a dragon though id say that be much better as long as you keep him far away from the fort.

Dragon gets bonus points against elven sieges since they all wear wooden armor and he spews fire.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »

War grizzly bears are pretty good. I've also had two war giraffes completely destroy a small ambush.

WAR GIRAFFES ARE AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HCIGFdBt8
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:01:00 pm »

As said above, war grizzly bears are the best. I've also found war giant tigers to be equally good. I once pitted a grizzly bear vs a giant tiger in the arena and the bear won, so there's that.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:04:50 pm »

WAR GIRAFFES ARE AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HCIGFdBt8
JESUS CHRIST THEIR NECKS ARE LIKE FLAILS

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »

Cave crocodiles and blind cave bears. Amazing in a fight and their products are worth alot.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:39 pm »

Giant War Tigers FTW! ( also, creatures with a size prefix should have the 'war' or 'hunting' bit added behind it)

edit: Just did a bunch of rounds of 4 Giant Tigers versus 4 Grizzly Bears ... and so far the tigers haven't lost a single unit.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:27:34 pm by Naros »

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:30:59 pm »

yes...yes you can.(and you can make them into pack animals and wagon pullers as well)...I once had a bug where a dwarf tried to train an elf torso.
awesome. i made them breath dragonfire too, so that'll be useful. now if only i can force them to chop down trees, the sadism will be complete

TehNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »

Hmm, aren't hooved animals more deadly than all the generic carnivores?

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »

Hmm, aren't hooved animals more deadly than all the generic carnivores?
just put hooves on your elves/bears then. problem solved
Pages: [1] 2