Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: species interbreeding ?  (Read 7584 times)

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
species interbreeding ?
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »

Is this completely impossible in DF? Do mules just fall from the sky?

Would it be at all feasible to put the raw's from several different creatures under the same title but move their description and body details to caste level and cause a big free for all of breeding , Cat-Dragons, Yak-Elves ,Human-Flies Dwarf-Titans Elephant-Carp  etc....

I know there wouldn't be anything in place to determine names or the structures of these eldritch abominations, just wondering if anything could be done to make creatures less fussy in the breeding department.

(I've already tried the obvious step of giving alpacas attractive dwarven faces and beards and attempted to give them personalities , then left a male dwarf in a sealed room with a LOT of booze and some of the more attractive specimens for a few seasons )
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: species interbreeding ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:38:26 pm »

No. I don't care if it's even possible, you're not doing it. This is sick, even for a DF player. I congratulate you! :)

As for the caste levels... I don't know the extent to which those work. You could possibly create a baby alpaca that looked like a cat, maybe even acted like a cat, but it would still grow to an alpaca. I'm really not quite sure what you're going for or what's possible, though.

You could always just make a creature that does everything. Kills vermin, milkable, shearable, plenty of meat, all that. Make sure to give it a reasonably rediculous name.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:32 pm »

No. I don't care if it's even possible, you're not doing it. This is sick, even for a DF player. I congratulate you! :)

As for the caste levels... I don't know the extent to which those work. You could possibly create a baby alpaca that looked like a cat, maybe even acted like a cat, but it would still grow to an alpaca. I'm really not quite sure what you're going for or what's possible, though.

You could always just make a creature that does everything. Kills vermin, milkable, shearable, plenty of meat, all that. Make sure to give it a reasonably rediculous name.

German language already has a word for this. Eierlegendewollmilchsau (Egg-laying wool milk sow).
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »

The German language is full of made-up words.  You can mash any number of words together and it becomes a valid word.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »

You can have female castes which don't turn into males eventually. I'm really just trying to learn the in's and outs of castes species and breeding in the most amusing context possible .

I'm assuming that it's the creature name and the male/female tags that control mate choice , I'm trying to see what happens if there are multiple different types of male and female all in the same species. 

I have that , Thats more or less what my elves have become :D
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »

The German language is full of made-up words.  You can mash any number of words together and it becomes a valid word.
It isn't that easy. The eggmilksow violates even some grammatical rules (you shouldn't mash together "egglaying" and "woolmilksow" usually) yet is still accepted as common word, it wasn't a result of me simply throwing some words together ;)

You can have female castes which don't turn into males eventually. I'm really just trying to learn the in's and outs of castes species and breeding in the most amusing context possible .

I'm assuming that it's the creature name and the male/female tags that control mate choice , I'm trying to see what happens if there are multiple different types of male and female all in the same species. 

Creatures of a single species can be parents to every single possible caste in this species. Lets say if human hair colors were castes of the human species, in DF parents with blond hair having had blond hair for entire generations in their nordic family line could still get a dark-haired child or even a red-haired soulless abomination.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 03:19:08 pm »

Creatures of a single species can be parents to every single possible caste in this species. Lets say if human hair colors were castes of the human species, in DF parents with blond hair having had blond hair for entire generations in their nordic family line could still get a dark-haired child or even a red-haired soulless abomination.

I hadn't considered that....two dwarven parents randomly producing a dragon could be even more amusing....I might try making a kind of pic'n'mix civ.

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 03:26:34 pm »

You're probably a liberal.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:38:43 pm »

You're probably a liberal.

I'm a Scientist.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 04:00:38 pm »

Damn, id love a bunch of half dwarf half dragons, would make tantrum spirals so much fun. I really hope this is achievable without too much work
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:00 pm »

From previous science experiments All bodytypes must be the same. Otherwise you get serious mutations. See the link for more details.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:28:11 pm »

I changed my mind after reading that. Mod extensively, and post all results here.

Try to make something useful, something fun, or something freakish. (Bonus points if you can do all three)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:07 pm »

From previous science experiments All bodytypes must be the same. Otherwise you get serious mutations. See the link for more details.
Not true. Different castes can have different body types so long as an individual body part isn't declared more than once (edit: more than once for that paticular caste or subcaste). For species with non-overlapping body parts, this means declaring the whole body at caste / subcaste level and declaring nothing at the creature level.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »

So that means that you can make fish/mermen? The One Piece kind?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »

You mean having one caste as fish and the other as mermen? Sure. The entry would have to be ordered something roughly like this:

[CREATURE:WHATEVER]

[CASTE:FISH]
[BODY:<fish body parts>]
<anything else unique to this caste>

[CASTE:MERMAN]
[BODY:<merman body parts>]
<anything else unique to this caste>

[SELECT_CASTE:FISH]
[SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE:MERMAN]
[BODY:<stuff common to both castes, such as heart and guts and all that>]

It's not really necessary to have two caste selection lines there, but it's more readable that way. The [BODY] tag can be used more than once so long as the parts it calls aren't repeated for a caste or subcaste. If they are, then you get that weird stacking as the game tries to cram two identical parts into the same space.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4